Sign in to follow this  
Paul O'Rourke

The music of Mnemonic

Hey guys, pretty much spent this week working on music for Mnemonic. It's been challenging to find the right aesthetic for this game but I think it's pretty dialed in now. You can check them out here:

There are still a couple more music cues that are waiting on some puzzle design to finish before being finalized but I will share those when they are ready.

I composed these using Ableton Live and the Native Instruments package for the most part. I'll be taking them to Pro Tools for mixing sometime next week. If you have any questions I'll be checking this thread throughout the day and will do my best to answer them.

Thanks for listening guys :)

This is sounding really good. Have you considered any jazz influences? I think cool jazz in particular would go well with the noir atmosphere.

sounds awesome!

is it an intentional move (for some specific effect) to have a fairly modern sound to the more retro noir art?

also it sounds a little like the Murder is gonna have taken place in the office =)

A lot of the direction I was given was in the vein of Bladerunner, in that regard I wanted to make sure that I used "synthy" elements as my base. I tried to incorporate more organic/orchestral elements into the piece to bridge the gap that you'd expect from a black and white noir experience but it's a still an experiment at this point.

The nature of audio in the production cycle is that it's post-production, which makes the AF experience very challenging since the team is going to be scrambling to get everything working as intended in the small time frame of 2 weeks. That means that I need to be very proactive with my artistic decisions, because I'm not going to have time to iterate much (I don't think anyone on the team is going to be given a ton of time to iterate tbh)

I did consider the classic jazz/noir approach but I thought it would be a great opportunity to experiment, especially with the direction I was given by Derek. I'm optimistic that the vibe will work for this game but once the prototype progresses further, I'll hopefully be able to feel out if the music does need more classic noir instrumentation as you both have mentioned.

Thanks for listening!

I'm glad you experimented. I think I, like most people, was expecting a more cool brassy sound in the vein of the hardboiled detective movies Derek referenced, but this is definitely a unique approach. I can't wait to see how this whole thing coalesces.

Yeah, I think this sound great, but I'm confused as to why it sounds nothing like the pitch video.

In the pitch, there's that weird sound of things disappearing, the sound of the car, the sound of the train, the clock ticking, the sax, rain and thunder. It was mentioned sounds could be part of the inventory, that they could be applied to puzzles to unlock memories. I think a classic jazz/noir approach may be more suitable in this case.

There's still a short window of time to try it if the intention to do sound-oriented puzzles is not completely gone.

It was not possible for me to watch the live streams, and in the videos already out on youtube (Day 1 and Day 2) focus seemed more on visual puzzles than sound and music, so I do not really know what direction Derek went with, though.

Additionally, Office sound gives me the impression I may be in a hurry. Is that intentional?

For the record, awesome music :), and I really think it can work, it's just not clear yet to me what's the direction of the game itself as I only saw Day 1 and Day 2 episodes...

Hey guys, pretty much spent this week working on music for Mnemonic. It's been challenging to find the right aesthetic for this game but I think it's pretty dialed in now. You can check them out here:

There are still a couple more music cues that are waiting on some puzzle design to finish before being finalized but I will share those when they are ready.

I composed these using Ableton Live and the Native Instruments package for the most part. I'll be taking them to Pro Tools for mixing sometime next week. If you have any questions I'll be checking this thread throughout the day and will do my best to answer them.

Thanks for listening guys :)

Sounds good! I'm sure these will add a lot to the game.

Do you know what music Derek used in the pitch video?

Blade Runner Synths meet 40s Noir? Sounds spectacular!

The Alley Track reminds me of Halo:ODST, which also played around with a noir theme. Man ODST was so fantastic... such a small, neat, stylish package.

Do you know what music Derek used in the pitch video?
It's Enter the Time Traveler from The Cave by Brian Min.

Loving The Office one!. And oh man it's embarrassing I couldn't make this connection sooner, but Mnemonic reminds me of Device 6 for the iOS. It's an amazing game and the soundtrack is super sweet: http://danielolsen.bandcamp.com/album/device-6-original-soundtrack

It's jazzy and kind of old-timey. Not too many similarities between the two games except the amnesiac detective vibes, but thought I'd put it here anyway.

Nice! Thanks for posting. Even before you mentioned it as reference, the Hub Room track totally reminded me of Blade Runner. It was also funny to notice some similarities between Office and the Main Theme of Hack "N" Slash that was included in the zip-file on the announcement website. Obviously they're very different, but there's something about the beat and the "instrumentation" that reveals that both were probably made by the very same Paul O'Rourke.

Looking forward to see how the music will blend with the visuals.

Very cool music Paul, I really like that you are guys not doing the traditional jazzy noir music for the game. I also dig the Blade Runner influence that Derek directed you towards and also the tracks Office and Alley remind me of Looper (One of my favorite soundtracks), so was that an inspiration as well?

I am impatient to wait for a soundtrack and for all I know these suites will change, so take it as a credit to what you've done here Paul to know I had to permanently save them to my computer for continual listening.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. These versions haven't changed too much but I'm happy to announce that the piano portions were re-recorded by our very own Bert Chang! He did an excellent job and the pieces are stronger for it ;)

I had another cue for the game but it looks like it might not make it in due to the nature of the area it's intended for. I'm not sure it'll ever see the light of day but I'll try to get approval and upload it to soundcloud.

Thanks for taking the time to listen everyone, can't wait till you guys can get your hands on the prototype!

Very neat, I like it. The music and in fact, the general idea gives me a vague Remember Me aesthetic. When I first heard the pitch, I was kind of thinking the puzzles would be along the lines of the memory remix puzzles of that game.

Music is awesome! I'm hoping you'll have it in the Humble pack so I can listen to it after getting the prototypes :) It's amazing to me how much quality stuff you're able to dish out during Amnesia Fortnight :)

I know I'm late to the party here but again just wanted to say thanks for the sound cloud link and to also what a great job you did with the music for this prototype! Hub Room really made me think of Blade Runner when I was playing it, so if that was the intent, good job! The sad part is, it just makes me want this as a full game even more!

Sign in to follow this