Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
theinternetftw

Insuring people catch the radio drift

I'm sure the DL team is on top of this already, but I just wanted to suggest that there be cues other than just the tone of the voice for the radio. While conveying that information through tone of voice is a great idea, I think you lose a little thematic clarity when you add the distortion, so having other audio elements that reinforce that tone would be great. Something like:

Sarcastic (Daily Show / AM radio) - Applause / Laughter / Maybe some zany sound effects (e.g. trombone wah-wah-wah)

Normal (BBC / NPR) - Probably fine as is, maybe very short bits of subdued music / jingles in between "segments"

Controlled v.1 (USSR) - Soaring music over the vocals a la the reference material, big thematic changes between patriotic and threatening from paragraph to paragraph

Controlled v.2 (DPRK) - Military fanfares, no music during speech, again, pretty much straight from the references. The vehemence in the vocals should be so extreme that it comes through no matter what here.

But like I said, I'm sure this is being thought about.

I just saw the latest ep - I love the radio concept, although the distortion does make it a little difficult to tell them apart (especially the two controlled formats). This suggestion about additional cues sounds right on the money.

I'm sure that in the final version, sounds are going to be easily distinguishable. Having aural clues is a very nice idea as in games like this it can be tough keeping up with everything that's going on.

Also, in case someone is curious what Soviet-era radio sounded like, this is a very nice compilation of program intros, some low-fidelity versions of patriotic songs, ringing of Kremlin's bells, accurate time signals (towards the end) and the like --

The lack of other cues beyond intonation might be intentional (hahah). I don't think they want to let the player know their exact standing with the media, but you actually have to listen to the audio and spot the subtle differences to gauge how tight their grip is on the country's voice.

The lack of other cues beyond intonation might be intentional (hahah). I don't think they want to let the player know their exact standing with the media, but you actually have to listen to the audio and spot the subtle differences to gauge how tight their grip is on the country's voice.

Since they used the same audio of Anna and distorted it to fit the different styles, is the intention to blend between the extremes to create a whole scale of media stances? Or are these fixed stances and you will get one or the other?

Since they used the same audio of Anna and distorted it to fit the different styles, is the intention to blend between the extremes to create a whole scale of media stances? Or are these fixed stances and you will get one or the other?

They didn't use the same audio.

They didn't use the same audio.

Yes, I think there are going to be different voices. But Anna is lending her vocal talents to LPBB soundtrack's epic hip-hop song ;)

Sign in to follow this