Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gsm

"Bad Golf" name

I was just trying to see if any news on Bad Golf got somewhere and came across a game named "Bad Golf" for XBLA (see

).

The game has nothing to do with the whole concept of Bad Golf here, but the name is the same.

Very annoying after hearing "Bad Golf 2" repeatedly in the pitch video :(

Anyway, sorry for bringing in bad news, but it doesn't require anything different other than the name (and better now than after the game is made).

It's been brought up before, and I don't think it'll be a problem. After all, there's a Poker Night on XBLIG as well, but Telltale still has their Poker Night 2.

Really depends on how the developers of the other game react (it could be positive for their game if you really think about it), but I think Patrick has to decide if he wants to stick with it or come up with a different name.

I would recommend trying to find alternatives to refrain from this potential problem altogether, but again, it's up to him.

The difference between the Poker Night scenario, and this is that Telltale Poker Night (1) at the Inventory came out before the one that is on XBLIG.

I'm no copyright lawyer, but they might need to call the game Double Fine Bad Golf 3. If the creator of Bad Golf (2010) on XBLIG doesn't want DF calling a game that, or wants too much money, there's always Bad Double Fine Golf 3.

We'll have to check with Justin to verify, but we haven't done any trademark/copyright investigation regarding any of the other AF prototype names. It might not apply in our case until we move to promote one of the prototypes to a full game. This is all guesswork on my part though!

Sign in to follow this