Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kaffeebohnson

Will there be something on the Weekend?

I guess there won't be a stream/new episodes during the weekend?

Does the office stay closed during Saturday and Sunday, or do most teams during AF tend to work over the weekend?

I don't think anyone of the project leads can sit still and relax, right?

Yeah, typically we need this first weekend to recharge our batteries a little, since next week will be a MEATGRINDER.

But a bunch of us are still working! Although mostly it's for fewer hours and it's on "fun stuff" that we're excited to work on / see working in the game.

But yeah, no official streams :(

And there's nobody for me to vine from my house in oakland oh no :(

Yeah, typically we need this first weekend to recharge our batteries a little, since next week will be a MEATGRINDER.

But a bunch of us are still working! Although mostly it's for fewer hours and it's on "fun stuff" that we're excited to work on / see working in the game.

But yeah, no official streams :(

And there's nobody for me to vine from my house in oakland oh no :(

Get a cat and/or dog. The internet loves cats and/or dogs!

Double Fine seems like a pretty chill place to work. Well-paid, easy hours, creative freedom, low-pressure even if your games don't sell...

Double Fine seems like a pretty chill place to work. Well-paid, easy hours, creative freedom, low-pressure even if your games don't sell...

I wouldn't say it's low-pressure... especially the crunches.

I wouldn't say it's low-pressure... especially the crunches.

This. ^

Game development is not easy, the DF and 2PP crew just make it look easy. Also, creative freedom comes with some costs. Those costs being, currently, a lack of (known) publisher deals. Double Fine is doing a lot of Indie Projects at the moment, and that gives them a lot of creative freedom that's limited only by how much they can afford on any given project. If and when they do publisher deals, they're going to have less freedom on those projects, and also a bunch more pressure on them.

Yeah, maybe, but lots of people seem at liberty to take off weekends, they get paid well -- probably above market rates -- and every job has crunches (especially in software development).

On top of that, they work at a studio that embraces the concept of "you are all precious creative individuals." Sounds pretty chill in my book!

I'm sure they work hard in their heart of hearts, so don't take this as some sly backhanded compliment. This ain't India, although you wouldn't know it by the working conditions at your average game house.

No pressure at all. If the games don't sell, Tim just sells another of his kidneys on the black market. They grow back.

Being well paid is offset by the fact that San Fran is one of the most expensive cities in the world.

It's insanity to me that a small-ish indie developer would set up there. DF games will always cost more than they should because of their location.

It's insanity to me that a small-ish indie developer would set up there. DF games will always cost more than they should because of their location.

Honestly, I don't think Double Fine would be the same company if it was in another city. Tim started the company here because he's basically always been in the area - in fact the title of the company comes from a sign on the Golden Gate bridge.

Most of the staff here are locals - I'm one of the few folks here who actually moved across the country for the job. Having worked other game jobs all over the US, I definitely think its not an insignificant point that the studio happens to be located in SF.

But I agree - hoooleeee crap is it expensive to live in the bay area.

Honestly, I don't think Double Fine would be the same company if it was in another city. Tim started the company here because he's basically always been in the area - in fact the title of the company comes from a sign on the Golden Gate bridge.

Most of the staff here are locals - I'm one of the few folks here who actually moved across the country for the job. Having worked other game jobs all over the US, I definitely think its not an insignificant point that the studio happens to be located in SF.

I think Tim should talk about that sometime on one of the Documentary vids. Maybe a side-quest about the History of Double Fine. It has come up in bits and pieces before, but it might be interesting to get the whole story from Tim.

All those hills probably don't help either. I remember when I was there on a Choir trip. Those hills were fairly close to 40 degrees inclination sometimes. Also, was one of my worst trips for Chorus ever. Though that's not the city's fault. Bus Driver got us lost and made us late to our competition. We had to go on and preform at like 8-9 at night, after eating, and without enough warm up time. So our vocals were all messed up. He also had his GF on the bus while we inside, and all our personal effects were still on the bus. I think some people had a few things stolen. It wasn't a good way for, what was basically my senior trip, it to go. /OffTopic

REFERENCE: finesign.gif

From the FAQ:

Where does the name "Double Fine" come from?

It comes from a sign on the Golden Gate Bridge that, until recently, said "Slow to 45 mph – Double Fine Zone." I ingeniously selected the name Double Fine so that when people drove over the bridge they would see the name "Double Fine" and think, not just that we had purchased ad space on what must be the most expensive billboard in California, but that we owned the city and all of San Francisco had been declared to be a "Double Fine Zone." I believe it did work for many years, confounding and intimidating our many, many foes. But for absolutely no good reason, the old sign is now flashing the less awe-inspiring message, "Speed limit 45 mph – Auto toll $5." I mean, how are you supposed to name a game company after that? Don't people even think these things through?

Sign in to follow this