Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

WTF is going on with my firefox?

I can't figure out if this is a problem native to my own machine or if it's a Mozilla issue. When I left for work this morning, I could do anything in Firefox: youtube, twitch, newgrounds, whatever.

When I get home tonight, I can't do any of those things. I check to make sure flash and java are up to date and activated. They are. I try clearing my cookies/cache and restarting the browser. Didn't work. I said, "f*** it" and went to re-download chrome, but the install button on the google site didn't work. So I had to boot up IE... for f***'s sake, I had to use IE.... and install chrome.

Anyone having similar issues with firefox or know anything about this? I have never had this problem before today.

Chrome is a lot better since the last time I used it. Maybe Firefox can just suck it.

You wouldn't happen to be using NoScript would you? I had the same problem starting yesterday, and it turned out that NoScript was the culprit. The only fix I could find was disabling it.

Even if you don't have NoScript, try starting Firefox in safe mode and see if stuff works then. If it does, then it's an addon at fault.

Firefox > Chrome.

Better organized options menus;

/More/ configurable options;

More add-ons/plugins;

Ad/popup blockers are better (Adblock Plus says Firefox allows blocking of data before the kernel loads it while Chrome does not, which is why NoScript wouldn't work in Chrome);

Highly skinnable (you can even skin Firefox to look exactly like Chrome if you want);

I could go on...

Firefox > Chrome.

More add-ons/plugins;

Ad/popup blockers are better (Adblock Plus says Firefox allows blocking of data before the kernel loads it while Chrome does not, which is why NoScript wouldn't work in Chrome);

Highly skinnable (you can even skin Firefox to look exactly like Chrome if you want);

I could go on...

This. This is why I won't touch chrome. Adblock and NoScript are the condoms of the internet- the reason you use them is less to get rid of annoying ads, more to prevent drive-by-downloads and the like from compromised and shady ad servers.

Also, to add to my last post, it's apparently known that the current version of NoScript is causing issues for some users, particularly when it comes to flash content, and it can be fixed by installing the latest development version of the addon.

And yes, the ability to run more powerful addons like a fully-functional Adblock Plus and NoScript, as well as all the customization options, is why I continue to stick with Firefox.

Firefox > Chrome.

More add-ons/plugins;

I could go on...

This. This is why I won't touch chrome. Adblock and NoScript are the condoms of the internet- the reason you use them is less to get rid of annoying ads, more to prevent drive-by-downloads and the like from compromised and shady ad servers.

ScriptSafe functions pretty similarly to NoScript, I think, and it works on Chrome. I've got it installed. Anyone who uses Chrome should probably consider getting it as well.

The only reason I ever switched to Chrome is because years and years back, Firefox was crashing so much upon starting I had to get a different browser that just worked. It is pretty nice to sync all your browser data across multiple machines though

It is pretty nice to sync all your browser data across multiple machines though

sQsoqGG.png

You were saying...?

EDIT: Wait, are you actually referring to Chrome or Firefox?

I think Chrome also does that. I'm a Firefox user myself though. It's a pretty nice browser overall and it has the best development tools. There's also Pale Moon for better performance if you're on Windows.

In my experience Firefox is just about as good at everything as Chrome is (and to be fair, IE11 isn't far off performance wise either, though capability and interface wise it's still crap), but is very much better with keeping resource usage low. I ALWAYS have a minimum of five windows (one of which is purely youtube tabs), usually eight windows, and usually over a hundred tabs in at least 2-3 of those windows. Both Opera versions < 15 (those that use Presto instead of Blink) and Firefox handle those numbers splendidly, and seldom use up more than 1GiB of my memory even if a lot of those tabs are loaded (both Presto and Gecko use situational loading of tabs), while Chrome can't handle even a fraction of that many tabs. Even Safari for Windows is better at handling large numbers of tabs, and Apple dropped that ages ago. I believe this is connected to the splitting of the browser into huge numbers of separate processes, and Windows processes aren't lightweight at all. Over forty window handles and Windows can act up. Also, I don't like any browser that explodes the tabs into separate entities on the system tray (eg. IE) instead of just separate windows (eg Firefox).

Chrome and all Webkit based mobile browsers are even worse as Android platform goes - Opera Classic mobile easily handles a hundred tabs, and no Blink, Webkit or even Gecko browsers I have tried handles that gracefully. Given, mobile(Android specific) Presto does have problems, notably occasional loss of entire session and lack of the superior session handler Opera it has in it's desktop version.

You wouldn't happen to be using NoScript would you? I had the same problem starting yesterday, and it turned out that NoScript was the culprit. The only fix I could find was disabling it.

Even if you don't have NoScript, try starting Firefox in safe mode and see if stuff works then. If it does, then it's an addon at fault.

I do use NoScript with Firefox, and that WAS the problem. Thanks, Syd.

I'm gonna keep Chrome around, because there are some things it does that I like better than Firefox (e.g., actually remembering my login info when I tell it to) and I like some of the app features. EMPHASIS ON "SOME". While I find the advent of "apps" to be cool in one or two ways, I also think that "apps" are the herpes of modern technology. I installed Evernote, Wunderlist, and Dropbox. That's all I need, thanks.

I'm gonna keep Chrome for certain frequently visited sites (e.g. facebook, google services, etc). But I also go some weird places, and Firefox will remain my internet tank. There's no way I'm taking Chrome off road like I would Firefox.

Sign in to follow this