Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheDrisk

has Double Fine considered licensing the engine they have built?

You know it struck me that Double Fine ought to consider licensing the adventure game engine they have built for Broken Age? I dont mean the create your own Adventure game level but more like Unity/Unreal Engine level of developer. Not only would this be a great additional source of revenue for Double Fine... but also mean other developers could also step forward to also bring us even more adventure games to play in addition to .

Incidentally it was encouraging that a friend of mine who came over on the weekend... he was quite skeptical on the whole Broken Age game kickstarter thing (probably because only reading the outside press on it)... but on playing 20 minutes on my PC he was so blown away by the game he bought it there and then. He also interestingly found the Vela puzzles I had breezed through quite tough..probably as he was quite rusty on playing this genre.

Double Fine are using the Moai development platform as the basis of the game development. It has already been confirmed that at least some of the changes they have done will be contributed back to this open source project.

As gsm mentioned the engine is based on Moai but with significant changes. However it does look like they've created their own tools for it. While it would be nice to kick those tools out to the public it then becomes the responsibility of DF to look after it. They've built tools for their needs, so when you start getting requests to add things here and there it becomes a project in itself. It would be a lot more valuable to DF to keep it in-house and just maintain it for their own projects.

Obviously like they've said they've done they have contributed back to Moai so there is that.

I remember seeing mentions in some places that they plan to release the entire 2HB engine as open source at some point. Of course, this could have changed, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that.

Sign in to follow this