Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ephezius

Suggestion: Making the Horse the focal point with a rider...

Hey folks - I was watching the Day 4 episode and I had an idea about putting the focus on the horse when a rider is present. The idea is simple... when the horse begins to run, the rider hangs onto its neck for dear life while his legs kick behind in the air. Essentially, the rider becomes a human cape for the horse.

This way, the horse's head is still in view and the visual cues are showing you who is in control.

I know this is screaming "scope creep" but I thought I'd throw it out there!

Great suggestion and similar to the direction the animations are moving in already! (less leg flappy, but definitely holding on for dear life) :)

Great suggestion and similar to the direction the animations are moving in already! (less leg flappy, but definitely holding on for dear life) :)

Great minds...

If the Horse lowered 'themself' to the ground or nudged the human(?) character onto it's back it would help.

Lots of animation and contextual actions that suggest the horse is the character in the adventure.

Whilst riding, things like a 'horse-power' boost, sense then the player would identify with the horse and see the

rider as a secondary character.

If the Horse lowered 'themself' to the ground or nudged the human(?) character onto it's back it would help.

Lots of animation and contextual actions that suggest the horse is the character in the adventure.

Whilst riding, things like a 'horse-power' boost, sense then the player would identify with the horse and see the

rider as a secondary character.

Whoops I didn't see this thread. I wrote this in another place.

Keeping the focus on Bell rather than the riders may be accomplished if the hero riders are so dumb they can’t sit squarely on the saddle.

One could get on but as soon as you move he slides off directly away from the side you turned. Think like cowboy shootouts where they use their moving horses for cover. One hand on the horn of the saddle and the other flailing. They could have their sword out and it would make in world sense that Bell would have to buck them to get a slash out of them.

Another hero could only get as far on the saddle to have his belly across it. Another would sit squarely on it but backwards. That would allow a lot of facial expressions from the hero too.

Another thought for combat: Maybe a knight does sit upright with his sword out and up. He looks very confident and ready for battle. His inability to swing on his own is because his cutting edge helmet tech doesn't have eye holes or something. (Having his voice sound like it is coming out of a bucket would be pretty funny too.) To make him swing left or right you jerk the stick max distance and the knight panics grabs the saddle at the last second and the sword swings at its widest art. Bell would control the direction of the swing and the attack's cool down would be that Bell couldn't do a hard turn as the hero scrambles to his balanced upright position. If you turn hard before he's reset the hero falls down to his lowest position without swinging the sword. Once the hero is up and poised Bell could fling him right or left at will.

This prevents spamming the special attack. It keeps focus on Bell because the camera is set to switch to the inside of the turn, go right the camera swings to the right, and the hero falls to the left primarily showing focus on Bell.

I understanding you want the controls to be responsive and if success is based on not doing hard turns that limits mobility and fun. But this type of hero could be a sometimes-thing and set up puzzle like scenarios. Also, there could be a noncombat mission where the person is important or fragile and you would want to transport them without a single jostle.

I like the Ephezius's idea. To extend it a little further, what if you could use the rider, kind of like the principle of the medieval Flail

weapon where if you can turn the horse around fast enough the riders who is holding on to his life is flung outwards like a flail and knock down enemies or stun them.

It would be great if the rider has a chance he will fall off the horse, and if he does the horse/player has to go back to him and he jumps back on. If the rider dies from getting mobbed by enemies then..perhaps tough luck for the rider player loses a lot of points or score (if there is scoring keeping and tracking stats). However another idea is using the rider like a visual gyroscope (see last paragraph- which is like a summary of this post).

However my main idea in helping to keep the focal point to the horse would be maybe as the horse gets more tired the animations slow down slightly, get a little frothy at the mouth, feels a little more sluggish. Thus there is more risk the enemies lands hits when in this state which slows down the horse more. To recuperate energy the rider perhaps has to move away from them for a time either stopping or perhaps it could be munching on grass or he has to drink water.

Having the horse just break away and stopping to rest would seem very easy to do in large environment and kind of halts the fun of the game a little. Unless the Grex have riders on beasts similar to Wargs in LOTR. This type of enemy could have a lance like weapon and attempts to corral and encircle the player/horse. This could make it harder to just ride off and rest or consume grass or water. These enemy riders could 'patrol' in packs and can turn up to a fight.

Using movement to make the player feel more one with the horse:

I hope the animations will look more fluid especially when wheeling around, maybe full turning will cause the camera to tilt slightly, suddenly turning to the other direction should have a brief pause moment giving the illusion of weight and momentum being transferred to the other side of the horse's body before moving in that direction. If the was a way to have a flow at the controls if you try to move the controller to quickly to say turn sharply the horse will feel sluggish but if you using the controller in a more controlled way eg. turning the thumb stick in a half circle slowly. The more tired the horse is the slower you have to do this. The rider could be like a gyroscope

for the player to get a 'feel' for the flow of momentum and balance of weight transfer. Meaning if you going too fast and turn sharply or stop to do a front or back kick it could take a little longer to happen. Making sure the rider who is clinging on for his life is roughly in the center of the horse, when he starts to slide off or back/forwards etc the player can have a sense of momentum speed (lacking for a better way to put it). The rider then becomes more than just a prop on the horse or since he does not have a saddle and can move around based on momentum then he couldn't be confused with being in control of the horse and actually put to use visually as the player tries to get the sweet spot flow of the horse. Once the player has mastered that. However if the enemies are too easy to knock down or kill this might seem like a waste of time. But if the enemies come in waves or are numerous and the horse can get tired, then focusing on keeping in the 'flow' of controlling the horse where if you don't the horse will tire more quickly from not correctly managing the

weight transfer and momentum. This would make the game more fun and challenging, rather than just a straight beat'em up. Mind you these ideas probably do not fit inside a two week challenge.

Sign in to follow this