Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF_John

Day 6

Cool stuff!

- Narrator VO recorded

- Enemy Grex is in the game, with attack, hit react, and death animations

- all dialogue is in the database and ready to be triggered in game!

- the mission script is mostly stubbed out, so we should be able to do a full playthrough of the scenario soon!

- revised terrain is in

- first pass of procedural grass is in

- locomotion added: stops, work on running turns

- stables are in

- fire and homing missile vfx ready for hookup

- we re-did the front attack to make it more responsive

- horse model updated, including saddle and blanket

- and more!

It was a super busy but productive day - way to kick ass, team Steed!

Screenshot: kicking some Grex

Just a quick suggestion on the idea about "making it feel more like you're controlling the horse instead of the rider"...

If you animate the rider to always react to the horse's movements (as opposed to other games where the rider leads and initiates movements) it would be really clarify each character's role. When a horse stops unexpectedly, the rider is going to get thrown forward and have to steady themselves. likewise, when a horse is startled and takes off without the rider being ready, they'll fall backwards and have to pull themselves back upright using the reigns. You could do other animation cues too, like making the rider look around in other directions than the horse's current direction of motion, or sometimes having them impatiently kick the horse when you're moving slowly.

Just a quick suggestion on the idea about "making it feel more like you're controlling the horse instead of the rider"...

If you animate the rider to always react to the horse's movements (as opposed to other games where the rider leads and initiates movements) it would be really clarify each character's role. When a horse stops unexpectedly, the rider is going to get thrown forward and have to steady themselves. likewise, when a horse is startled and takes off without the rider being ready, they'll fall backwards and have to pull themselves back upright using the reigns. You could do other animation cues too, like making the rider look around in other directions than the horse's current direction of motion, or sometimes having them impatiently kick the horse when you're moving slowly.

Looking good, John and Team Steed!

Btw- I had a conversation once with a friend who worked with horses, and they said if startled, horses can kick pretty much in any direction around them: side, front, rear using either the front or rear sets of legs. The topic we were discussing was how to safely work with horses by trying to always approach them from the front so they see you first so as not to startle them.

Not sure how much you guys can fit into the prototype, and I know the videos are two days behind where you are- but if you were considering adding other ways for Bell to attack, side kicks are definitely a natural defense. As is stomping down at a high angle from the front I suppose to trample enemies. Another fun ability to add would be for Bell to pick up certain objects in her mouth like maybe a bucket- or even a knocked out (small) rider.

Looking good, John and Team Steed!

Btw- I had a conversation once with a friend who worked with horses, and they said if startled, horses can kick pretty much in any direction around them: side, front, rear using either the front or rear sets of legs. The topic we were discussing was how to safely work with horses by trying to always approach them from the front so they see you first so as not to startle them.

Not sure how much you guys can fit into the prototype, and I know the videos are two days behind where you are- but if you were considering adding other ways for Bell to attack, side kicks are definitely a natural defense. As is stomping down at a high angle from the front I suppose to trample enemies. Another fun ability to add would be for Bell to pick up certain objects in her mouth like maybe a bucket- or even a knocked out (small) rider.

Boy do I feel silly. Pretty much what I posted is already in another thread... I'll read all the posts before spouting off advice next time.

Boy do I feel silly. Pretty much what I posted is already in another thread... I'll read all the posts before spouting off advice next time.

The Grex look pretty happy to be getting kicked there.
Maybe they think it's all fun and games? Bless their precious hearts!!!!

The Grex look pretty happy to be getting kicked there.
Maybe they think it's all fun and games? Bless their precious hearts!!!!

I don't know how the prototype will turn out (looks really nice), but damn, this concept can make an incredible 'full' game.

Hope it becomes something more.

I don't know how the prototype will turn out (looks really nice), but damn, this concept can make an incredible 'full' game.

Hope it becomes something more.

Sign in to follow this