Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel

What's your favourite "second wave" LucasArts adventure?

Which is your favourite "second wave" LucasArts adventure?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite "second wave" LucasArts adventure?

• Honestly, I haven't played them all, so it's not fair to pick one, but I'll post my favourite in the thread instead.
    • Day of the Tentacle
    • Sam & Max: Hit the Road
    • Full Throtte
    • Curse of Monkey Island
    • Grim Fandango
    • The Dig

I think we all know that Monkey Island would dominate the first wave of LucasArts adventure games, but what about the second wave?

Please only pick one if you've actually played and complete them all!

Thanks! :)

I really dig "The Curse of the Day Grim Fandango Hit the Road Full Throttle."

I like Grim Fandango because it's the only game I know of that has even come close to having a perfect balence between Fun, Drama, and Gameplay while still being set in a creative world.

For me it came down to the question's wording. My favourite. If it asked for "The Best", I might have answered differently. When it came down to the game's timing, myself at the time, and a whole lot of other factors, Hit The Road is my favourite.

A very difficult choice...

Grim Fandango was the most unique and had the most interesting world, Curse was probably the most entertaining, Day of the tentacle had the most imaginative puzzles whilst Sam and Max had a lot of charm...

I'd probably have to say Curse was my favourite but it isn't necessarily the one I think is the best...

The Dig

Grim Fandango

Sam & Max: Hit the Road

Full Throttle

Day of the Tentacle

Curse of Monkey Island

CoMI and Grim can't be counted as the same wave as the others on this list IMO.

How come? For me, I think that everything post Fate of Atlantis took a big step forward. There was full screen animations, high quality voice acting, and every one but DOTT removed the verb boxes.

Obviously Grim is 3D, so that's a huge step, too, but CMI still used Scumm (the latest and most advanced version -- with the best 2D PNC interface of all, if you ask me).

I'm just playing CMI again at the moment, and WOW, what a wonderfully polished and entertaining game that is.

So why isn't Escape on the list? Because it's Grim Fandango with pirates.

Because everyone's decided that Escape is the most terrible thing ever.

I know. I didn't either. I loved it. Except for Monkey Kombat, but I can get my brother to play through that part for me.

I know. I didn't either. I loved it. Except for Monkey Kombat, but I can get my brother to play through that part for me.

On PS2 version theres a cheat sheet if you hit R2 so it's just an annoyance for me.

CoMI and Grim can't be counted as the same wave as the others on this list IMO.

How come? For me, I think that everything post Fate of Atlantis took a big step forward. There was full screen animations, high quality voice acting, and every one but DOTT removed the verb boxes.

Obviously Grim is 3D, so that's a huge step, too, but CMI still used Scumm (the latest and most advanced version -- with the best 2D PNC interface of all, if you ask me).

I'm just playing CMI again at the moment, and WOW, what a wonderfully polished and entertaining game that is.

Ah, sorry, I was thinking about EMI, not CMI.

So why isn't Escape on the list? Because it's Grim Fandango with pirates.

Wow. I completely forgot about EMI...! That's bad.

They did some good stuff in that game... but also a lot of mediocre stuff. It felt like it was missing the polish and detail that CMI had spoiled us with. Monkey Kombat sucked. As did changing the history of the entire series, and changing everything about Melee. Ugh. But they at least hired a decent actress to play Elaine -- something every subsequent game made the mistake of going back on -- and Otto was well cast as I remember, too.

I really loved the Time travel swamp puzzle in EMI, it was hilarious to screw up on purpose!

It's a good game, doesn't deserve the hate... people just compare it with Grim.

As I've said in the past, EMI was the first adventure game I ever played. So I have the experience with it that most people have from SoMI or LCR: trading the game back and forth with a friend, calling up to discuss puzzle solutions, working through each act as a group to get all the dialogue and figure out where to go.

I have severe nostalgia.

EMI was a game I liked moderately at first, and then disliked more and more over time. As an adventure game it's okay, but I find that it manages to pretty consistently hit the wrong tone. Monkey Island was never a game about anachronisms. There were cultural references, sure, but it was never all about them, the world they were in was overwhelmingly consistent, except in some carefully considered cases where it wasn't, which gave the whole thing, especially 2, a creepy vibe.

EMI on the other hand is topheavy with puns and anachronisms that have none of the same creeping mystery because they're brought front and centre. They just fail to ground the world in anything I would want to care about, unlike the much better effort of Curse which actually seemed to understand how to mix the more grounded and more mysterious part of the world.

I think that's why I like it less and less as I revisit it. At least at first, the puns and stuff are superficially amusing. But after they lose their flavour, there's nothing left to hang onto but a limpid plot with no mystery to it. Tales did a somewhat better job with the tone, again, I think.

It has some nice music, though, EMI.

I'm surprised there's not more Full Throttle love, because it's highly regarded among fans, but I suspect that it might be a lot of people's second or third favourites when compared with the others.

I think you summed up EMI perfectly.

Anyone know whatever happened to Ahern and Ackley? They really did a brilliant job with CMI, but I've not heard from them since then.

Sign in to follow this