Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Blair

Review - Double Fine Adventure Too Childish?

I'm going to start on a highly constructive note, because I did back this game. I thought the beginning of the game was just too childish. Talking spoons strike me as something out of Blue's Clues and also childish in the sense that the puzzles were too easy. I beat Act 1 without a single hint, but is that really an accomplishment? I am disappointed that no one ultimately seemed to take heed to feedback about having points and adding difficulty levels ala Monkey Island 2. And I understand the concept about mainstreaming, but when you say "old school adventure" you got to back it up. And in my opinion what I've seen so far doesn't. Maybe the amount of backers turned out to be a bad thing?

On the positive side, the weaver looks and sounds cool and I like how the story leaves me with unanswered questions such as "Why does the wolf guy want a precise amount of creatures?" However, the Vella storyline wasn't credible. Any reasonable village would have moved instead of giving people to Mog Chothra.

In terms of technical, I think there was/is a glitch in the animation of Shay going up an elevator-like platform. I think an initial frame of Shay didn't disappear sometimes when he rode up. Also, I didn't really see an option in the game to turn off special effects to free up the ability to move my mouse cursor during resource heavy scenes. Overall, the technical aspects of the beta were great.

So three words: Old School Adventure!

I think part of the joke with the spoon was that it was so childish. Shay's entire constructed world is childish -- that's why he wants out.

However, the Vella storyline wasn't credible. Any reasonable village would have moved instead of giving people to Mog Chothra.

You know (and I'm trying to keep this comment in a positive light), I feel like people who express sentiments like this might really benefit from meeting more people in the real world from different backgrounds and viewpoints -- in this case, particularly people from real small towns who have experienced real disasters. I've known people in the American Midwest, for example, who refused to leave their land even when opportunity, jobs, and resources had long disappeared from their towns... simply because "we've always been here" and the idea of leaving was just bizarre to them. They'd rather semi-starve in their house selling odds and ends to farmers thirty miles away, than face new things in the outside world.

Besides, ever looked into the customs of some isolated tribes in Southeast Asia, Central Africa, etc.? I remember one tribe who would kill newborn children if their teeth were crooked because it was a bad spiritual omen.

In short, it's completely plausible for an isolated, provincial town to settle into a culture that looks bizarre and unethical to outside observers -- in fact it continues to happen all the time in real life.

Also, the other towns we get to see in the game face the same problems with Mog Chothra, so who's to say moving would change anything at all?

Pajama Sam: You are what you eat from your head to your feet is one of the best adventure games I have ever played. "Too childish" is not really a thing, perhaps just "too easy".

Sign in to follow this