Sign in to follow this  
Zorch

AF 2015 - Staff Picks

I am loving this year's AF series - big thanks to DF and Two Player!

I really dig the concept of bringing someone who is not deep in the game industry into the fold to work on a project - it really helps illustrate how fresh ideas can shake up the status quo and generate new things that people have never seen before.

Next year I would love to see a staff pick category added in. It is cool to see what projects the internet votes on. It would be just as enlightening to see what game the crew thinks should win and how that processes changes things. You guys are the professionals, after all!

Indeed, it would be interesting if the entire staff had an internal vote..in which they had to vote for one games other than their own (first, second, and third choice). That game would then get picked as the "staff pick" game, along with the online pick games.

It might be enlightening to add in a "One vote per year worked at DF" sort of thing.

I too like this idea, but I also like seeing these guys and girls out of their comfort zones. I forget who said it in one of the documentary episodes, but it sounds like working on games all the time skews what you might pitch or vote on due to a higher understanding of what has been done before while subconsciously avoiding what might be perceived as "impossible" in a game. LPBB was a great example of something that somebody from outside the games industry might pitch and it has been really fun to watch the progression of figuring out how to implement some of the test recognition. Although, the counterpoint to this is that they also need to think about commercial viability so that DF can keep getting funding for their prototypes.

I think I would like most to see another guest project lead next year...

a staff pick is very much welcome, but "one vote per year worked at DF" is not something I'd like, because those more experienced and powerful get the chance to pitch their games outside AF (like Massive Chalice and Headlander), so in my mind in AF everyone's choices should have the same weight.

I think if they do AF 2015 as a public deal or maybe even where they skip a year again because maybe who knows what those internal surveys will say...

but imagine if instead of GUEST leads... they got super SPECIAL guest leads...

What would Majus bring?

How about Tasha after her time at Pixar?

I think TIM should pitch a game next time!

Special guest leads is good and I'm all for that.

(BTA) pitches by Tim would ensure AF's financial outcome is as big as possible, but aside from that it sort of defeats AF's purpose, so I'm on the fence about it.

Special guest leads is good and I'm all for that.

(BTA) pitches by Tim would ensure AF's financial outcome is as big as possible, but aside from that it sort of defeats AF's purpose, so I'm on the fence about it.

Yes, but what if his pitches were stuff he was actually like "I don't know if this would even work... I mean, maybe it will but for once I have no idea if this game is a good idea at all.. I really need to be sold on it myself even!"

I mean I doubt prototypes for Psychonauts or Brutal Legend existed. (which are the ONLY DF Tim games where it was his brainchild (not counting Broken Age)

If they did... that'd be interesting to see.

Sign in to follow this