Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Awesomocity0

Steed Prologue (Fanfiction?)

So... *coughs nervously* I've been following along with AF 2014 obviously and was particularly taken by Steed. So I got a little antsy while waiting for the prototype and an idea came to me on how Belle might have possibly found her stable boy friend, an idea that incorporates the idea of the bumbling hero type. It's a little weird, and it's weird to write 'fanfiction' about a prototype, but I thought I'd shoot the idea I had out there in a way that was more fleshed out than just saying, "hey, I think this might be kind of cool!"

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tosGgk0K1fMfgYZOj8ZmBMLyVrKzZVNf3bprP7iKtak/edit?usp=sharing

So there's the link, out there for the world. Mainly, I'm just smitten with Steed and hope it becomes a full game. I'm rooting for a linear adventure game.

I think it's pretty darn great that people are so into this thing that it's already producing fanfic. Again, looking ahead to the possibility of a full product, I really like the idea you put forth here of the incompetent heroes urging you to do obviously stupid things (which you must patiently avoid doing, because Humans Are Stupid And Horses Know Better); but I also like the idea that poor Twig isn't the only guy out there with half a brain, and that you might also end up helping out the occasional perfectly cool and knowledgeable scholar or naturalist or scientist out on a fact-finding or leaf-collecting mission.

I also really like the idea of having a dichotomy of a serious back-story leading to a more happy present one. The contrast could also sort of be seen with the age differences of the person you're helping, i.e. little guys get little monsters and big guys get big monsters.

I also like the idea of different sorts of missions, which is why I threw in the friendly doc teaching Bellefire Operant conditioning. Although I dunno. I may be the only one who is tickled by the idea of a horse learning psychology and using it on the rider, especially considering that the concept wasn't around back in the days I loosely set the story. When you have a horse, I think you have to see clever workarounds if we're functioning under the paradigm that despite superior intellect, she is a horse, and our boy hero is the only one who can understand her (the Stewie effect). I see this amazing potential for a sarcastic sense of humor surrounding this sweet inner core you occasionally see where you see that she does really care.

Awesomecity, that was a fun read. To me, it really did a good job of picking up many elements of the game that have been described over the past few weeks.

Thank you, John! I was hoping I did her proud. I'm totally tempted to expand and just start writing my own Steed-based story. Haha.

If it's fun to write, go nuts! I'm kinda new to this story-tellin' business, so it's great to hear yours and others reads on the characters and the world! I think you did an excellent job making the hero *just* inept enough to be mildly annoying but not overwhelm his underlying lovability. The ending was surprisingly powerful. Oh, the feels!

(emailed it to the team, btw!)

Yeah, I might keep going then. Cheers! I purposely wrote the story that way, with a light-hearted beginning and a moody end. I think every great protagonist needs inspiration for why they do what they do, and I figured Belle's could be the promise she made to protect Twig! I didn't want to get too bogged down with her emotions though. Wanted her to be strong and bear the pain, because I think when you're in a situation like that, you have to.

Thrilled you shared with the team! Let me know what they think! :D

Sign in to follow this