Sign in to follow this  
tomwsmf

Kids, The Fornight and Much Thanks to DF

I have two kids, aged 8 and 11, who have been gamers as long as they were able to game. At this point in their lives they are very much wanting to dev games. I am going thru the Amnesia Fortnight vids with them and so far they have been an amazing resource to show them, warts and all, a rough outline of the process pro game devs go through. I have not shown them the special Easter egg section for Steed yet, I will but I am working on a context for it...in parenting context is nearly everything.

Thanks so much all who were involved not only for the games but for giving my kids a peek inside a world they might be growing into.

(My youngest wants to know if you accept game ideas in Scratch :)- )

-Tom

I have not shown them the special Easter egg section for Steed yet, I will but I am working on a context for it...in parenting context is nearly everything.

Ha! Let us know how you contextualize that bit!

I know not everything in the documentaries is family-friendly, but they definitely capture the way things are at the office, and sometimes, late at night, crazy things happen with particle effects! I'll probably find out what my mom thought of the episode today. That'll be an interesting conversation :)

My son (5) caught that part and said "oh no can that horse still walk?!"

He was super concerned.

I'm interested in knowing how you contextualize it as well.

Some food for thought:

That is how humor works for many people, you take something simple (a horse crapping) and turn it into an absurd (a horse crapping 100kg per second).

It's not a problem if it's disgusting in some way or if it is banal, though not everyone enjoys this kind of humor.

I guess what's most important is knowing there are moments when we can joke and have fun with our friends and there are moments when we should respect others and abstain ourselves from doing that.

In Day 10's case, it was an intimate moment between friends, all of them were confortable with it and the joke would have happened regardless of 2PP being there to film it or not, so I would say it was a perfectly appropriate moment.

Context.... When you are deving a game and you miraculously come in ahead of your deadline you get the chance to think of some cool extras. So a horse..It Eats...there fore it must....Excrete...(tie in to biology ) When you are deving graphics for a game you can tweak the values so that you get tiny pewp....medium pewp and hey boy look at that projectile pewp. Much laughing and grossing out noises around the monitor.

Then they talked about it. They wanted to know if the pewp could be used as an attack...maybe the baddies would slip on the pewp. The more the horse eats the more it pewps...so power ups...or pewper ups. Yeah, so Steed Full Retail...we are expecting pewper ups.

A little biology... a little game mechanics...a little about deadlines... All in all a good convo....once they stopped laughing about the projectile pewp.

Thanks for the opportunity to talk pewp with the kids.

-tom

Sign in to follow this