Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xmuskrat

Sad there are no mac prototypes :(

Although it would be nice, this is probably not realistic.

With the limited time available at AF, it would be insane to try to develop for more than one platform, so that would mean developing said prototype for Mac from start to finish.

Without really knowing the difficulties involved in porting to Mac, and with DFs (apparent) main development platform being PC, I'm guessing this would still mean a bit more work, than just doing it for PC... which again translates to even less time to polish the actual prototype.

[edit] Then again - If AF blows up and becomes a valid source of revenue, due to the curiosity of gamers everywhere, then perhaps time could be set aside after AF for extra polish and/or porting (I know I read somewhere that some of the earlier prototypes got some after-AF finessing). But that's some pretty wild speculation on my part...

Well, Dear Leader is written in Lua using 2HB engine and Moai. They already did the work to port that engine to Mac. It's not out of the question they could get these running on other platforms.

But yeah, it does probably take time to do.

Hack'n'Slash prototype was ported to Mac at a later time, so it's not totally out of the question.

Emulation probably sucks as prototypes aren't really optimized very much. Better go the Bootcamp route.

The answer I got from Brandon on Twitter was that the prototypes are occasionally worked on during DF's down time. That's how the Hack n Slash prototype arrived on Mac.

So on one hand, if we get them that's great! But if we don't, DF must have some amazing projects cooking up!

I tried a few on Linux through WINE. Hack 'n' Slash worked perfectly, White Birch was a bit laggy and Autonomous was virtually unplayable. I couldn't work out how to run Spacebase DF-9 since it uses a batch file.

I tried a few on Linux through WINE. Hack 'n' Slash worked perfectly, White Birch was a bit laggy and Autonomous was virtually unplayable. I couldn't work out how to run Spacebase DF-9 since it uses a batch file.

Pretty much the same here. And a main reason why I didn't pay for LPBB because it really sounds like the kind of game that would perform horribly on my underpowered machine, unoptimized and on Wine.

Of this year's AF prototypes, I was able to play Steed and Dear Leader with Steam In Home Streaming on my Linux box from my Windows desktop. I was also affected by the LPBB Steam issue last night, so I wasn't able to test that one. The streaming wouldn't go past the Mnemonic config splash screen.

Just to clear up some confusion in here, Wine is a recursive backronym, it stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator".

It doesn't emulate Windows, instead it reimplements the Windows API. When you run a Windows app with Wine, it does run natively. That means that games don't have to run slower when using Wine. In fact, quite often they run faster than on Windows. There is no emulation, no loss of speed, it runs at 100% speed, directly on the actual CPU as if you used Windows. It's just that sometimes the code written by the Wine developers is slower than Microsoft's code and sometimes it's faster.

So just try it out, you might be positively surprised. So far I've only tried out LPBB, worked fine.

I was able to play Mnemonic and LPBB on Linux through wine (1.7.13) without any problems. There are some graphical issues for sure, but they play all the way through as expected. I haven't tried Steed or Dear Leader yet.

All AF 2012 prototypes run on WINE just fine.

There is WINE for Mac xOS.

You do what you have to:

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

Glad you got everything working, but some of us are not so lucky http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8192/ "run on WINE just fine" is not really something one can ever claim - with the amount of different distros, architectures, video cards, driver versions, library version, wine versions and tricks. All you can infer is Works For Me really :)

The Steam versions of Dear Leader and Mnemonic kept crashing on me using Wine 1.7.11 on Linux. Steed seemed to work fine but was unbearingly slow on my weak hardware. As I said, I didn't even bother buying LPBB because I can't run it natively.

Sign in to follow this