Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Oliver

Act 1 Production Statistics

Hi guys!

Broken Age Act 1 is done! Wooo! :-)

Now that everyone had a chance to play the game it’s time to take a closer look at what was involved to get Act 1 out of the door. In other words let’s check out some production statistics!

But first a word of caution: This forum post contains a lot of numbers! All of these values were gathered and analyzed as carefully as possible, but of course it’s possible that there are errors in the data.

Production

Number of man-months: 339

Project duration: 22 months

Average team size: 15.4

Number of SCRUM sprints: 28 (3 preproduction + 25 production)

Total amount of SCRUM tasks: 3594

Animation

Number of animations: 6091 (Shay: 871 / Vella: 1784)

Length of animations: 8.87 hours (Shay: 1.13 hours / Vella: 1.56 hours)

Size of animations (binary / uncompressed): 54.35 MB (Shay: 10.25 MB / Vella: 12.17 MB)

Cutscenes

Number of cutscenes: 1181

Length of cutscenes: 3.09 hours (!!!)

Length of fully animated cutscenes: 1.13 hours

Dialog & Voice

Number of text strings: 4896

Total number of words: 34183

Number of (recorded) voice lines: 4417

Length of voice lines: 3.12 hours (average: 2.54 seconds)

Textures

Number of textures: 2167

Average resolution: 1378.39 x 1334.73

Average amount of mip-map levels: 11.01

Total amount of texels: 6.5 billion (6570636369)

Size of textures (binary / DXT compressed): 2.93 GB (average: 2.54 MB)

Rigs

Number of rigs: 250

Number of vertices: 67350 (average: 269.4)

Number of triangles: 75438 (average: 301.7)

Number of joints: 3464 (average: 13.8)

Size of rigs (binary / uncompressed): 3.3 MB

Particles

Number of particle systems: 1256

Amounts by emitter type: 632 point, 319 sphere, 211 box, 94 cylinder

Average spawn rate: 21.5 particles / second

Shaders

Number of shaders: 50

Number of permutations: 5219 (average: 104.38)

Lines of shader code (authored): 2650 (average: 53)

Lines of shader code (generated permutations): 51954 (average: 1039)

Music & Audio

Total length of music: 75.22 minutes

Total length of ambience: 74.22 minutes

Number of sound effects: >3000 (estimated)

Code

Number source code files (MOAI + DF): 895 (C/C++)

Lines of code (MOAI + DF): 207605 (average: 231.9)

Number of game-play script files: 336 (Lua)

Lines of game-play script: 78562 (average: 233.8)

Number of tools files (2HB + data build): 166 (C/C++, Python, Lua)

Lines of tools code (2HB + data build): 38010 (average: 228.9)

Number of open-source 3rd party files (engine + tools): 2421 (C/C++)

Lines of open-source 3rd party code (engine + tools): 929826 (average: 384)

Credits

Total number of name strings: 12846

Number of $100+ backer name strings: 12613

Duration (at a resolution of 1024 x 768): 15 minutes (856.4 names / minute)

Bugs

Number of reported bugs: 2150

Number of fixed bugs: 1870

Average number of bugs entered per day: 3.26

Average number of bugs fixed per day: 2.83

Check-ins and automated builds

Total number of check-ins: 31206

Total number of contributors: 43

Number of automated builds by type: 2500 code, 5845 data, 1130 packs, 1769 audio

Misc

Daily coffee consumption: 23 cups (1.46 cups / team member)

Total coffee consumption: 11000 cups (687.5 gallons)

Awesomeness of the team: 42 gazillion

Amount of love: 100%

And there you have it! This is what it took to make Broken Age Act 1. I hope you enjoyed all of these amazing numbers. As always please feel free to ask questions.

Oliver.

PS.: Right now Broken Age is 33% off on Steam, so please let your friends know: http://store.steampowered.com/app/232790/

This stuff is great! I remember when DFA was still in the planning stages there was talk of gathering telemetry data about player choices, time spent, places clicked, etc. Was that functionality ever implemented? And if so will we ever see any of that data? For example, I'd love to see a heat map of places players clicked that didn't result in a interesting interaction and what that implies about the visual design.

This is really interesting to see. Do these number help you guys in any way? Do you do this for all games and compare? How far towards that valve level of detail do you watch data from real customers, and do you think that should affect design or is it just distracting for someone like Tim Schaefer who we trust to make something original?

Sorry for the third degree, just really curious how you guys see that stuff after watching all the steam dev days talks on youtube.

will budget numbers be revealed at any point, or is that a bit too much info?

This stuff is great! I remember when DFA was still in the planning stages there was talk of gathering telemetry data about player choices, time spent, places clicked, etc. Was that functionality ever implemented? And if so will we ever see any of that data? For example, I'd love to see a heat map of places players clicked that didn't result in a interesting interaction and what that implies about the visual design.

Yeah the Google Analytics integration records some general game statistics like which scenes were visited. I agree it would be interesting to collate the information and post it as well. I'll add it to my low-pri to-do list... :-)

This is really interesting to see. Do these number help you guys in any way? Do you do this for all games and compare? How far towards that valve level of detail do you watch data from real customers, and do you think that should affect design or is it just distracting for someone like Tim Schaefer who we trust to make something original?

Sorry for the third degree, just really curious how you guys see that stuff after watching all the steam dev days talks on youtube.

No we don't really use this data right now. I was curious about how many texture pixels we had so I spent a bit of my spare-time to figure it out. Obviously I went a bit overboard and when I showed it to the team we came up with even more interesting stats...

Do man-months and team size include the outsourced animation team? (Sorry, I forgot that company's name...)

Yeah the Google Analytics integration records some general game statistics like which scenes were visited. I agree it would be interesting to collate the information and post it as well. I'll add it to my low-pro to-do list... :-)

Cool. I imagine it ranks somewhere below making Broken Age Part 2, I just hope it ranks above learning to play the banjo and checking all of the pens in the office for ink*. :P

* Which admittedly are things on my low priority to-do list.

Interesting stats. That cutscene length is crazy! I assume that includes all dialogue conversations as well?

I could offer some stats too:

Days it took to offer a working DRM free version after the Steam release for the Mac: 39.

The number of enjoyable riddles in the game: 3.

The DF greed difference between the pricing in Europe and the USA: $6.94

I could offer some stats too:

Days it took to offer a working DRM free version after the Steam release for the Mac: 39.

The number of enjoyable riddles in the game: 3.

Spiteful, passive-aggressive posts representing minority opinion: 1

Unnecessary use of color in posts: 5 ... wait I mean 6 ... sweet honeybee of infinity!!

Do man-months and team size include the outsourced animation team? (Sorry, I forgot that company's name...)

I don't think so, but I should double check with the production team since they provided me with this number.

Interesting stats. That cutscene length is crazy! I assume that includes all dialogue conversations as well?

Yes that is correct. :-)

Hi guys!

Broken Age Act 1 is done! Wooo! :-)

Now that everyone had a chance to play the game it’s time to take a closer look at what was involved to get Act 1 out of the door. In other words let’s check out some production statistics!

But first a word of caution: This forum post contains a lot of numbers! All of these values were gathered and analyzed as carefully as possible, but of course it’s possible that there are errors in the data.

Production

Number of man-months: 339

Project duration: 22 months

Average team size: 15.4

Number of SCRUM sprints: 28 (3 preproduction + 25 production)

Total amount of SCRUM tasks: 3594

Animation

Number of animations: 6091 (Shay: 871 / Vella: 1784)

Length of animations: 8.87 hours (Shay: 1.13 hours / Vella: 1.56 hours)

Size of animations (binary / uncompressed): 54.35 MB (Shay: 10.25 MB / Vella: 12.17 MB)

Cutscenes

Number of cutscenes: 1181

Length of cutscenes: 3.09 hours (!!!)

Length of fully animated cutscenes: 1.13 hours

Dialog & Voice

Number of text strings: 4896

Total number of words: 34183

Number of (recorded) voice lines: 4417

Length of voice lines: 3.12 hours (average: 2.54 seconds)

Textures

Number of textures: 2167

Average resolution: 1378.39 x 1334.73

Average amount of mip-map levels: 11.01

Total amount of texels: 6.5 billion (6570636369)

Size of textures (binary / DXT compressed): 2.93 GB (average: 2.54 MB)

Rigs

Number of rigs: 250

Number of vertices: 67350 (average: 269.4)

Number of triangles: 75438 (average: 301.7)

Number of joints: 3464 (average: 13.8)

Size of rigs (binary / uncompressed): 3.3 MB

Particles

Number of particle systems: 1256

Amounts by emitter type: 632 point, 319 sphere, 211 box, 94 cylinder

Average spawn rate: 21.5 particles / second

Shaders

Number of shaders: 50

Number of permutations: 5219 (average: 104.38)

Lines of shader code (authored): 2650 (average: 53)

Lines of shader code (generated permutations): 51954 (average: 1039)

Music & Audio

Total length of music: 75.22 minutes

Total length of ambience: 74.22 minutes

Number of sound effects: >3000 (estimated)

Code

Number source code files (MOAI + DF): 895 (C/C++)

Lines of code (MOAI + DF): 207605 (average: 231.9)

Number of game-play script files: 336 (Lua)

Lines of game-play script: 78562 (average: 233.8)

Number of tools files (2HB + data build): 166 (C/C++, Python, Lua)

Lines of tools code (2HB + data build): 38010 (average: 228.9)

Number of open-source 3rd party files (engine + tools): 2421 (C/C++)

Lines of open-source 3rd party code (engine + tools): 929826 (average: 384)

Credits

Total number of name strings: 12846

Number of $100+ backer name strings: 12613

Duration (at a resolution of 1024 x 768): 15 minutes (856.4 names / minute)

Bugs

Number of reported bugs: 2150

Number of fixed bugs: 1870

Average number of bugs entered per day: 3.26

Average number of bugs fixed per day: 2.83

Check-ins and automated builds

Total number of check-ins: 31206

Total number of contributors: 43

Number of automated builds by type: 2500 code, 5845 data, 1130 packs, 1769 audio

Misc

Daily coffee consumption: 23 cups (1.46 cups / team member)

Total coffee consumption: 11000 cups (687.5 gallons)

Awesomeness of the team: 42 gazillion

Amount of love: 100%

And there you have it! This is what it took to make Broken Age Act 1. I hope you enjoyed all of these amazing numbers. As always please feel free to ask questions.

Oliver.

PS.: Right now Broken Age is 33% off on Steam, so please let your friends know: http://store.steampowered.com/app/232790/

Awesome stats mate.

Are we ever going to get some sales/financial stats though? We want to learn how the game is doing, which will be a very important indicator for the future of point and click adventure games.

Are you counting on the 16-25% VAT for Europe in that? If US price*1.25 is close to EU price after currency conversion then there is no notable "greed" difference.

By my calculations, right at this moment, Broken Age is $25. $25*1.25 = $31.25, and €23-->$31.98, so the greed is $0.73.

Given, not all European countries have 25% VAT, so if you prefer, we can count on 20% instead: $25*1.20 = $30, which gives a greed factor of $1.98.

Neither is terribly high if you ask me. (Especially since I live in one of those 25% VAT countries.) Stop complaining about nothing.

Great stats.. I cant wait to hear how well the game is selling.. my fear is that peoples perception of games like this will be that it should be cheaper.. I know my friends thought that.. It was only when they actually saw it.. when they got this was a triple A title and so deserving of the price being asked. Has double Fine considered selling only Act One? to offer another cheaper price point? Kind of like how Tell Tale does it? (single episode or season pass) The other thing that would help is maybe do a free playable demo of the Vella story arc up until Mog Chothra is about to arrive (just before you get to see it). I know with the Stanley Parable the demo made me take the plunge in buying it as it was so good (actually I found the demo better, but thats another story). Finally are you considering putting it on Xbox 360, PS3, Wii-U, Xbox One and PS4 (360 is the system I own)... As much as I enjoy PC games.. I still prefer consoles.. I mean I often rebuy games like Great Giana Sisters, Fez and will be getting Gone Home on release. I just like the instant accessability through the big TV. I guess its just a simple case of saving the game in .x360 and .PS3 file extension right ;-) (joking) :-D No in all seriousness maybe you could talk to the company doing your costume quest 2 and Going Home and ask them to bring it across? So you can concentrate on Act Two?

Nice post, Oliver. I did notice one omission though :D

A few weeks back, Tim jokingly said he was going to get you onto the task of working out how many floppies the game would be packaged on if it were distributed that way (hopefully considering what to share between disks to minimise unnecessary switching).

Have you considered doing visualisations of some of this stuff?

Sign in to follow this