Sign in to follow this  
Iaman

Steed Official Feedback Thread

Just played through the Steed prototype and really enjoyed it! A few thoughts I had while playing:

Wow that's some gorgeous grass. I know everybody's mentioned this but seriously hats off to the grass in this game

I was really hoping that I could kick the apple trees to get more apples off of them!

I know it's just a prototype so there isn't a whole ton of time to tweak things, but I felt like the time delay between attacks was just a bit too much? Something to focus test, I guess

Geez this has hilarious glitches

(edited title to make this the sticky thread - John)

Just made this the official feedback thread for the Steed Prototype!

Post your feedback here while it's fresh - it'll be super helpful someday when we get to make this game a reality!

I was really hoping that I could kick the apple trees to get more apples off of them!

)

I'll admit that I just stomped the apple trees in the hopes for them to fall - oh well! What's currently in the game is super fun and I'm definitely going to be throwing down some cash it it ever makes its way to a full product. I'm finding that the saddle is flashing in and out of existence, but taking a screenshot seems to temporarily fix it.

I did manage to get a decent action screenshot though!

285270_2014-03-08_00013.png

285270_2014-03-08_00013.png.2c54c60bb214

Yeah, just played through it! Lot of fun! Also absolutely gorgeous.

I think my only comment is I wish the standard front attack was a little better. Loved the stomp and the back kick, but the front kick seemed really hard to line up.

My main thought is wondering since there's no physical end game...

is there anything else to discover then the awesome easter egg and the hilarious flying glitch when trying to go beyond the scope when you explore after Andy thanks you?

Quick other thoughts...

those Johnstone paintings are so amazing.

the story as exists is hilarious... I love everything about Steed...

I do worry about when/if we go into expansion to not retread any prior Doublefine action/adventure tropes.

More focus on really what Bellefire as a horse can do and would do if it was free.

Bravo on this one though. Enjoyed it a lot!

My main thought is wondering since there's no physical end game...

is there anything else to discover then the awesome easter egg and the hilarious flying glitch when trying to go beyond the scope when you explore after Andy thanks you?

I know I found at least a few different easter eggs, so you've probably got a little bit more to explore? I can't remember how many were outside of the fence but I'm relatively certain it's more than one.

I loved it! The combat was really great, I think there's a lot of potential for Steed as a full game. I really liked the story-book storytelling, too. More Steed, please!

As an end-game quest, I decided to take Twig back to his natural habitat.

twig.jpg

twig.jpg.4352c600305afd2334be7caa7c243b9

Just found a bug/exploit, if you hold left click while tapping right click, you can do the front leg stomp really fast.

I have two things that hindered my gameplay. In the doc, you guys talked a lot about people who control with the right stick/left stick. I'm one of those people who keeps the 'movement' left stick pushed forward and changes direction by changing the camera angle (I'm a right sticker), and... it really didn't accommodate me. I had to change my gameplay style, because it didn't function with the same sensitivity as it did with the left stick.

Also, when you're looking at controls, it's not really a pause screen, because I could hear the little dudes (greks?) attacking me. So that's probably just because it's the prototype, but the first thing really did bug me. Good thing Belle can't die.

As for general bugginess, when I ran into a couple of trees, Belle flipped like a world class gymnast.

Also, the targeting system is too sensitive. That's a weird complaint to have, but you could literally just spam the back attack button without moving anything else, and Belle would flip around in circles hitting enemies. Too simple.

And finally, the camera angle was off. I know you were emphasizing Belle instead of the rider, but when you're running up a hill, sometimes I'd see only the beautiful grass instead of important things like... you know... where I was trying to go. A similar camera issue was definitely there on the water wheel, where I'd keep pushing forward, and if I went slightly to the right, the forward button would make me go backward because of the changed camera angle. The buttons should be consistent, or the camera angle should be locked.

Other than that, I loved it. My love for Steed has been affirmed, and I'm glad for that. I hope you guys make a full game. Kickstart it if you need, man. Such a unique idea and so much accomplished in two weeks. And if you do it, I hope you get the same kid to do Twig, because... adorable. Overall, my favorite of the AF games, by far. :D

The game was overall really fun And as for wanting to see more, This is the game I would choose more then the others. Really Most of my stuff would be ironed out in play testing anyway.

I LOVED the big open areas, but felt that either Bellefire didn't go fast enough, or that objectives were too spread out. (in my play through I crossed the map before the main action started, and having to backtrack, he cried for help 10+ times before I could get to the building) An open area like this would be a great Hub area like a home base between quests, but I feel like smaller areas would be better for fighting(areas only slightly larger then you might find in the fable games)

The goblin AI did a lot of wandering, I figured they might waddle around in groups of 4 or so, but they were everywhere! and Chasing them down on the water wheel was a task. and I couldn't tell if I had just missed them or not because they kept re-spawning... I feel like they are weak on their own, but I feel like they have the strength in numbers so fighting them in large crowds felt more fun. The Wandering AI made it hard to fight more then one at a time though.

Other then that nothing else that hasn't already been mentioned. :D

I loved it! The combat was really great, I think there's a lot of potential for Steed as a full game. I really liked the story-book storytelling, too. More Steed, please!

As an end-game quest, I decided to take Twig back to his natural habitat.

Pfff! Up a tree! Well I'm taking MY steed TO THE STARS! :D;)

dOaJy2R.jpg

I see I'm not the only one who climbed the invisible walls. As someone who loves exploring, I wish more games had this "feature"!

Any Easter Eggs I should look for when I'm on the other side?

Can give some feedback on things that I feel are missing for better equine feeling: You should be able to jump over stuff. You should be able to snap your jaw at enemies, possibly biting them. You should be able to run them over and while on the ground and trying to rise, stomp on them. You should be able to kick a tree. You should be able to stand on your back legs to reach fruits in the trees to eat. You should be able to lie down. You should be able to drink. You should be able to rub against trees or tall standing structures.

Quite a lot of things you can clip through that you probably shouldn't be able to. The wells are dry when it feels like you have quite good water effects. But otherwise this feels really polished.

It says you should be able to jolt with LB & RB but only RB works. And using Steam functionality screen shot key F12, the controller stops working at least for the analogue sticks and the triggers, and you need to press the sticks to get them to work again.

Can give some feedback on things that I feel are missing for better equine feeling: You should be able to jump over stuff. You should be able to snap your jaw at enemies, possibly biting them. You should be able to run them over and while on the ground and trying to rise, stomp on them. You should be able to kick a tree. You should be able to stand on your back legs to reach fruits in the trees to eat. You should be able to lie down. You should be able to drink. You should be able to rub against trees or tall standing structures.

Pretty much this. Would it also be possible to bind a key for another action to use it combat? Front kick, power front kick, rear kick, bite and charge could be some of the combinations one could consider to expand the combat.

I also managed to fall off the face of the level; then again I DID run through the invisible walls so it was my own fault. :P

This is a wonderful concept John and Emily's art style suits it perfectly. Also massive props to the animation team! Well done to everyone and congratulations!

I just wanted to say great work to the whole team. The prototype really had a level of polish I hadn't anticpated. To spite being a bit sparse, the world looks amazing. The graphics are charming and feel like a near gold iteration already. The story is cute and charming. I wish the water wheel was more physics based so you could really get trucking down hills and the mouse sensitivity could really use some tweaking, but I really enjoyed it. I'm not surprised since this team had some master animators, but the animations are excellent. Ray's crush animation looks great even when you collide with the edge of the wheel. The running away is hilarious, just wish I could build up more speed.

Awesome work John. Really great. I think in the documentary it really showed you as a capable lead and this is the proof. You are one of my favorites and I am so happy you have Brad to work and learn from.

I'd love to see more of this game and wish you guys well in finding funding (hey, I'll buy it ;) but regardless this is some great tech and awesome horse mechanics that I can't wait to see in this or other Double Fine projects.

(bad golf 3 - it's a golf game, but you ride the horses)

Thanks for making this and letting us watch in on a crazy couple of weeks in your lives.

Before I forget, I want to give a massive shout out to the voice direction in the game! Isa's son did a masterful job playing Twig and the conversation with him and Bell was cute. Andy Wood also nailed the narrator. I can just imagine his kids lying in bed, wide-eyed as their dad takes them on an amazing adventure through imagination using nothing but his soothing tones. :D

The grass is seriously some of the best I've seen in any game ever, and it's a 2-week prototype... And it runs at a rock-solid 120 fps which is pretty damn amazing considering the other prototypes are locked to 30 (LPBB) or 60 (Mnemonic). Extremely impressed on the technical side.

Gameplay-wise it's decent. It feels a bit more like a "regular" 3rd person game than I had hoped, but on the other hand it's an extremely solid one considering the short dev time. The back kick feels great, the front one is a bit janky but hey, prototype!

I do think the horse as a main character is interesting and it could definitely benefit from getting the full game treatment.

Good job everyone on team Steed!

Bugs besides, this has come out pretty gorgeously. Some suggestions:

* I'd like to briefly hold a "sprint" button to accelerate better when going from nothing to top speed. I imagine you could also use that to briefly exceed normal top speed, tying it to a stamina meter like in the Diablo games. (If the meter disappears off the screen when refilled it shouldn't be too much of a bother.) This could be especially useful to run down retreating enemies in combat.

* Combat could obviously use work to make it more fun and interesting. There are no doubt a lot of things you might and will do here. What comes to my mind is a small aim adjustment, so that if an enemy is within a certain angle of your front or back the kick buttons will make you adjust your position to hit them more properly.

* Jumping. Definitely add free jumping.

* I'm not sure about this, but maybe a "comment" button to make a horse sound and show a dialog line about something nearby. Like an adventure game "look at" thing. It could be a fun way to get Bella's unique perspective on things.

* I also second rear-kicking apple trees to make the apples fall out. If nothing else, it would be a nice little easter egg for bronies to hype over.

Loved the looks! Especially the horse idle animations (and obviously the grass) were really impressive to me.

I REALLY like the feel of the left-click-then-right-click combat.

It was a shame that the AOE attack always seemed better/easier in situations where you could effectively use it, though.

Loved the playthrough of this, such great potential. I found when I let go of the stick she always did the quick stop/slide animation which I felt should be used only if I quickly went from forward to back on the stick, otherwise she should just slow to a canter and then to a stop.

Loved some of the after game Easter eggs. So far found something from Costume Quest, Stacking and LPBB :D Are there more I wonder? (There's also music in the forest, maybe that is from something else but it's very quiet.....Black Lake, White Birch perhaps???)

I think the only word I can use to descrive Steed is cute. Everyting about it is just cute, not amazing, but cute in some level and I can definetly see some people falling head over heels for this kind of a game. But for me it also was the weakest of the protos, as in the end it's nothing else but an action adventure with a horse instead of a massive warrior with an axe.

I must say though, that the Equus Comabt was oddly satisfying, albeit tad monotonious in the end.

Wow.. this one i didn't liked from the selection originally, but boy, what a nice surprise.. it has the charm, it has pooping horse that is also female and Badass! I loved it.

Game crashed on me when i was escaping the library via the millwheel.. black screen, music and ambient was still there and so was my windows cursor.. but no visuals :)

2014-03-08_00005.jpg

I quite enjoyed the prototype. You got across well the feeling of the game you could make from the idea, and for such a small amount of time you got the horse controls to a really good level. It felt great.

It definitely feels very 'video gamey', but not in a bad way. It's not deep and I don't think your trying to make it that way, it's just a fun game. It's seems like, with a big world, it could be a really fun exploration game. Just running about on the horse looking for secrets was my favorite part, obviously reminiscent of SotC but more comfortable and funny.

The combat was ok, but it felt really stiff. Lining up attacks was a bit iffy at times, and being limited to two melee attacks made it really repetitive. The horse having more abilities would have been nice. I did like the idea of the rider having their own ability that triggers ready expectantly, though. It kept combat dynamic. Also, wouldn't have minded a gallop button.

It was fun, and the waterwheel bit was neat. Still hard to believe it was made in just two weeks.

The game is beautiful, would have liked more to explore. Found the combat somewhat limiting however; may be hard to come up with moves after the initial two but as one of the guys that worked on the combat system in Dante's Inferno I'm sure John could come up with some interesting moves. Other than that my only complaint is that it's too short, good luck about getting this made into a full game.

It's very pretty, but... there just wasn't much to this. A very basic brawler, even if you were brawling as a horse. The story also didn't really grab me; the book page idea is neat, but why is the library in a mill? Why did it catch on fire? How is it that the kid can cast spells just by reading a book? It felt a bit contrived.

I think what I missed the most from the original pitch that got my vote was the idea of "Crazy Taxi as a horse." Delivering standard heroic fantasy heroes to their quests, despite their bumbling idiocy. Bucking a knight off your back to toss him into enemies, bucking to make an archer fire arrows, running missions and trying to keep the guy on your back on task... that really appealed to me. When all of that was chucked in favor of having the kid and no clear quest beyond "Get a book? Don't die?" it was a bit disappointing.

Still, I think as thin as this experience is, it COULD be fleshed out in a full game. More combat variety, more mission variety, various heroes, things like that. Clearly you have a good look going for you with the art and good fundamentals on which to hang a larger and more robust game experience.

Gorgeous. Very fun to brawl and I think you got the mechanics of "you are the Horse" down perfect. A lot of fun to just explore the world and find easter eggs. I like the idea of having some open world aspects to a full version of this game. Just being a horse, running around, helping other heroes on their quests, before diving back into the main arc. Similar to how I played Elder Scrolls IV.

Nice job guys. The controls worked well and it looked beautiful for two weeks work! The prototype really showed this as a solid concept. My only gripe is I wanted to jump the fence and keep going. :)

Liked the prototype and thought it would be interesting to have an open world with more in it to explore. I found it very weird not to be able to jump and a quick forward attack like a bite would be good.

Is there any way to change the refresh rate? I've got a decent computer, but my monitor has a maximum refresh rate of 75 hertz. If not, is there any other way to get around this issue?

Sign in to follow this