Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
buckysrevenge

LPBB Feedback

I got to some point where big leg and I are in the house and... let's just say the natives outside were getting restless. Then I had to stop due to kids needing to go to bed.

I also found out that you shouldn't try going to the house before big leg suggests it... :ahhh: well maybe just once to see what happens... :zip:

Creepy fun so far. Great cutscene in the beginning, btw.

I just gave it a quick playthrough, pretty great! Not what I expected from the pitch at all hahaha.

Does anyone know if there is more than one ending to it?

Trying to not reveal spoilers and not get spoiled on anything. I get into the house, Big Leg and I chat, then stuff starts happening. I don't know what to do at this point! I just get stabbed each time. I've tried a bunch of stuff but it goes *SPOILERS* they are yelling, Big Leg tells met to leave, I can't do anything, house explodes, stabbed. Is this the end? It's hilarious if so but I thought there was a bit more from hearing the Double Finers play it.

I can't seem to get Big Leg to the house...

I got him to the patch, we danced... he stopped talking...

Is it just patience?

I'm finding the game to run really slow on my system.

Is it just patience?

This also happened to me twice. I doubt they intended for it to freeze at that stage of the conversation. Here's how I believe it to progress...

***SPOILER***

Quiet Mouth should spawn nearby after dancing with Big Leg, break into the conversation and try to win you over. When that's done, you should be guided towards the house.

Hope this helps!

Is it just patience?

I'm finding the game to run really slow on my system.

Sometimes you need to dance with him a couple times to get the next scene to trigger I think.

I honestly don't know if I'm missing something towards the end of the game. Judging from the reactions of the LPBB team on the Day 10 documentary episode as well as Brad's reaction on the playthrough day, I was expecting something extremely weird and messed up as opposed to the relatively simple (POTATO) that can be activated at any point in the game. I'll need to play around with it some more.

The ChatScript while absolutely fascinating and interesting needs a hell of a lot of work. For a prototype it's easy to see what Penn and the team were trying to shoot for and I can highly respect that. For most people though, not having the Buds react accordingly to what you're typing is a bit of a let down.

There is also an issue where some of the vocals aren't firing. I can see what Big Leg and the other buds are saying in the subtitles but I can't hear the appropriate vocals for them. Also, where's Mr Anthony Vaughn on the wheels of steel/Pretty Lips? He said he fixed most of the subtitles to compensate for Raz's improv but there's still some mistakes there. For shame, Pretty Lips. :P

I honestly want to see Penn back in the Double Fine studios to finish this idea. It has so much promise and potential and if he and the team can get it done as envisioned, there's no doubt this will be absolutely incredible!

There is a ending cutscene in the files that come with the game that I haven't been able to get to in game yet... I think it probably involves just surviving after the house fire part, but to be honest, I can't be bothered to sit through all the super slow dialogue again to get to that part :P (if I KNEW it would work I'd probably try). The data files also have lots of other interesting stuff there (all the dialogue), and it looks like there are probably some cheat messages you could type to speed the game along (once you've played it, obviously), but I didn't manage to figure them out in the few minutes I spent on it.

Am I missing something? The house gets burned down and I get stabbed. One time I avoided getting stabbed for some time, I moved around while all the buds with the torches were there and the house was in flames, but then I moved towards a certain bud close to the house and I got stabbed. I am at a loss!

As a prototype, this thing is awesome. Obviously, the scope of what you guys were trying to do is way beyond what you had time to implement, but this is a game I would definitely, no questions asked, pay $20+ for if it was fleshed out. I want to go on an entire adventure where everything in this game is basically just a rough outline of a prologue (or ACT I).

Also, the writing and voice acting in this is great, and Raz absolutely killed it as big leg.

Absolutely loved the prototype for LPBB! Really hope we get to see this revisited in some way- whether a full polished game or just a touch-up.

I think it was awesome to bring Pen aboard, because this idea was so unusually original and fun. Listening to all the Pink Best Buds was hilarious! Who's the sexy voice behind Quiet Mouth?

So yeah- I'm guessing the ending is [potato]the house blowing up followed by the stabbing. I was also able to get stabbed outside before going into the house, but not sure what triggers that. Perhaps spending too much time outside? I know Pen was working on a credits screen where he drew all the Best Buds along with the name of the person who voiced them, but haven't accessed it so maybe there is another ending? If so, not sure how you'd access it since once I'm inside the house I can't do anything except click on the fridge and respond "grey" at one point. Also, never did figure out if the mouth in the ground was supposed to be something significant..[/potato]

Spoilery, maybe: I remember hearing an echo-y voice once when I went around the hills, saying "tell me" or something like that.

I'd love to see someone play through the end to see what happens after the house potatoes. I get stabbed right away, and that's all that happens. If someone knows what to do after, screen capture and upload, please. You can only sit through potatoes so many times without being able to skip the cut scene-esque moments.

The actual theme and story could definitely be interesting to explore further. Also animation and tech was good (except for the weird 30 fps cap). And it looked beautiful.

However the gameplay was just not engaging at all to me. The chat system was obviously an impossible undertaking for 2 weeks but I really can't see it working to the game's advantage even on a full project. It might not be Pen's vision, but I'd definitely prefer some sort of dialogue tree instead. Now the gameplay consisted of trying to guess what phrase would get Big Leg to stop standing there and let me into the house. This also kinda ruined the well-written dialogue since I quickly got frustrated. The poking might be OK with more dev time, but I can't really imagine doing that for more than a few minutes.

tl/dr: Setting was nice, but would need vastly different gameplay to be enjoyable.

There are very few statements that seem to have any effect at all! Apart from "who are you?", "yes", "no" and "go to hell" I don't think anything else triggered an appropiate response. I'm not sure it matters at all what you answer as a response to the color question.

Considering the result they achieved, I think for the prototype they maybe shouldn't have bothered with ChatScript at all.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see full version made of this! I think the potential is huge! The prototype, as it is, though, isn't impressive from a gameplay perspective. I guess the problems with the design would need a lot more time to solve even on a basic level.

I'd love to see someone play through the end to see what happens after the house potatoes. I get stabbed right away, and that's all that happens. If someone knows what to do after, screen capture and upload, please. You can only sit through potatoes so many times without being able to skip the cut scene-esque moments.

I plan on going through all the prototypes and recording them tomorrow with a bit of voice over as to my thoughts and on how each prototype could be expanded upon. If all goes well it should be uploaded relatively quickly.

Also, just finished the game and got to the wicked end. WHAT... THE... FRUMP? Now I really, REALLY want to see this expanded upon.

It appears to me that ultimately Pen made the call that having the whole story in there and accessible was more important than having the game be interactive past the first "act." If it were totally open the whole way through while still being so underdeveloped, it would be super easy to break it. It's already very possible to break it if you don't behave very narrowly, but it would've been so bad that absolutely nobody would be able to make it through to the credits if they had kept chat script active through everything.

Hey LPBB team!

I played thru the game twice and I love it! It's a game that I was so interested in knowing what was going to happen next, which is great because I was extremely sleepy when I played it and unlike many other games, including some in AF2014, it really kept me up wondering what the little buds were going to say next.

The look of the game is great. I enjoy looking at the hills and the buds look really cool too. I loved the opening too!

The voices are cool too. Theres some pretty neat talent in this game. Boombox guy's music is neat too.

Other than a personal preference with like... some of the grass planes that bothered me, there was nothing I found wrong with the direction I see this game going in.

Great work LPBB team.

(ps i really loved the raymarched grass and i want to use it in my future projects now, thanks for the inspiration)

This prototype is awesome, but I think dialogue trees would fit better than the chat system. Plus, I don't think this chat system would appeal to a very large audience.

Now I hope we will see the full game one day.

I actually disagree that dialogue trees would be acceptable. I think it is a core part of the concept to be able to talk to the buds however you like, and I really think the only issue with the prototype was that it didn't properly prove out how this part of the concept would work, due to the inherent limitation of not having the deep well of lines to draw from. There's a lot in there, but it's hard to tell what's there and much of the game has been rebuilt around funneling you towards a critical path. It's kinda hard to prove out both the story concept and the chat concept in two weeks. The story is ultimately more important to have working, because without it you just have an incomplete thought. You have a cute field with some best buds in it, without any mystery.

I suppose that's a long and rambly way of saying that I don't think dialogue trees have the same "feel" as just typing out things naturally. One is prescriptive, the other isn't.

It was a really cool idea but impossible to do in 2 weeks.

The audio overlaps a lot at first, the same goes with the subtitles.

I don't know why they added deaths in the game, I've died 3 times before I could go to the house. Maybe they did it to make game longer, but just makes it frustrating to do pretty much the same thing over and over (the same after the house).

I think for the prototype they should have been done with less buds (like 5), and just make them ask you some questions and getting bored of you or something like that instead of the "go talk to X guy" approach, would have made the game more organic I think.

The controls were weird, I think that façade approach was easier to talk/move (instead of pressing spacebar to talk and wasd to move, you move with arrows and have all the keyboard to write).

My first impression - when I played with highest-quality graphics options - was an interesting, laggy game where I died shortly after the House Potato.

When I tried again with the lowered graphics settings, I liked it a lot more, but I still couldn't figure out how to get the "proper" ending.

Now that I've seen the proper ending, I can only assume you're all insane and I want you to know that I hope y'all never change.

I find it hard to give this prototype the same kind of criticism I would give one of the others, since Pen shot for the moon on this one without realizing how insane the idea truly was. That said, when the character animations are working properly, they look really good for two weeks' worth of work, and the volume and quality of dialogue is insane for that same period of time. I suppose my only concern with making this a full game (other than the chatbot difficulties) would be varying the branching paths enough that the solutions don't become too obvious. (I'm not saying the path in the prototype has an obvious solution, but I'm not sure how others would deviate too much from it. I can't say much more without going into Potato territory.)

I can't believe y'all made this in two weeks. Cheers to all involved!

How long does it take for the pink little best buds to come up to me? 60 seconds?

I am glowing with delight, unable to pick my keyboard and start playing. I just want to watch & listen to them. Even to Ben ... haha

♪♫♫♫ "You want this.." ♪♫♫♫

photo df-lpbb_zps2b442b43.jpg

"Yo, wanna be my best friend?"

photo 3dlpbb_zpsf48136d5.jpg

Nvidia's 3D Vision driver & #LPBB (anaglyph 3D example)

"Hey, OVER HERE! Talk to me..."

photo enbserieslpbb2_zps1658c645.jpg

#LPBB with ENB Series baked D3D9 driver post process effects: Bloom DOF Blur per-pixel lighting...

"PICK ME?!!"

photo enbserieslpbb4_zpseefba03b.jpg

next: GlovePIE voice command recognition (free sotware) + NoTrackIR headtracking

This is now my jam. I am going to let this run on one monitor forever...

Thank you, Pen & Team! This opening alone was worth 2 weeks of no sleep (as far as I am concerned). Everything else in it, is an amazing bonus...

Thanks for all the kind, terrified words you guys. For those of you who have finished it, we're proud of you! And we want you guys to know that we ALL knew how dumb we were being to try and cram in one of the full narrative arcs that Pen pitched to us in private (eventually there would be at least 1 for each of the buds). It was TOO BIG TO FAIL.

OH! Cool idea to hook up external speech-to-text stuff. If you have an Oculus plugged in you'll see a version of the game with our own speech-to-text integration, by the way.

OH! Cool idea to hook up external speech-to-text stuff. If you have an Oculus plugged in you'll see a version of the game with our own speech-to-text integration, by the way.

Dang, this game would be really sick with speech-to-text integration! Been meaning to grab the Rift dev kit for a while, might be time to finally bite the bullet...

Sign in to follow this