Sign in to follow this  
buckysrevenge

LPBB Feedback

I haven't done the wicked ending yet (I found the potato in the ground, but I didn't know what to do). Sometimes the chat AI got off on another subject - e.g., big leg would ask about the grass, I would comment about the grass (using words like "grass" and "soft"), but big leg would respond like I was talking about his medication he was taking. But it's been creepy fun so far. I cant wait to try out the "ending".

Feedback, feedback... I'm kind of torn. I WANT to like this, it's an insane idea with a lot of potential. But the execution of that idea is pretty much a mess; overly ambitious and under-delivering on things like the chat system. I've no doubt that given years of development this could become something smooth and fun to play, but the "open ended chat AIs" and "linear narrative cutscenes" are crashing head-on into each other here. I didn't even know I COULD escape the house without getting killed because I thought I was stuck in a cutscene, etc.

I'm going to take another run at this prototype but given the way its two mentalities (open world vs. critical path) don't inform each other I may wait until there's a walkthrough available, to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Well I finished it and love it! It is totally bonkers and unique. It's buggy at times sure but the idea of something like this but longer and with a full story like this for every buddy is...well I would freak out. This was a great year for AF. Literally every game is one I hope gets full developed.

I laughed for about 10 minutes straight at the final moments.

I think the best way to describe my impression of the prototype would be this humorous image.

The idea was interesting, and the twist at the end made it very very horribly memorable but I find it difficult to grasp what a full version would be like. I'm assuming it'd be all about replaying the game to tell the story of one of the best buds each time, much as big leg's story was told in this, and less about a sandbox experience of just chatting to the little numpties. If that's the case I'd be all for it as the conversational technology seemed really limited to non-existent in this, but ofcourse that's not to say if given more than two weeks it wouldn't be a thousand times better.

The humor was definitely there, and it played well with the darker side of the story. Seeing more of that would be fun.

It's an awesome thing you guys made in any case!

I really like the concept, and would love to see the AI fleshed out, and the story arcs, in a full game.. It is a bit difficult to get much out of the gameplay in two weeks.

I think you went to a super-uncanny place with the art style.. and losing the initial climbing up the legs bit made things very different.

At the house potatoes I couldn't move at all, no camera or movements commands did anything for the entire sequence (other than to chat) and I was always stuck, but I hear there's supposed to be a way to move after that part, I just never am able to!

I've died twice outside, both times after choosing Big Leg, being frustrated by not figuring out what to do to enter the house, so I went and tossed the others around - and after a while got stabbed. I figured out what was missing and got into the house with Big Leg, and they started making a racket outside of it, banging the door and demanding to be let in. But then he goes to hold the door closed and I can't do anything. WASD doesn't do anything, mouse clicks does nothing, and I can't figure out anything to say to proceed with the plot. What am I missing here?

Also some technical comments: I'm on a Swedish keyboard layout, and I can't get apostrophe key or question mark (shift + [+]) to work with the chats entry, if that matters for the chatscripts. When running windowed, it doesn't contain cursor but does capture all mouse events even outside the window, which feels weird.

So I've figured out a little bit more maybe

SPOILERS

What was always happening to me, was that I was being blown/broke out of the house (it seemed automatically), and then as soon as I landed outside I got stabbed instantly. This happened 4 or 5 times to me in a row and it didn't seem like I had any control.

I just tried it again, and as soon as I broke out of the house, I wasn't stabbed immediately and I could run. But everyone's dialouge was still talking about "Let me into the house" which didn't make any sense, and Big Leg seemed bugged inside the house, with cycling captions of his dialogue asking to be let into the house for the first time...

Wasn't able to figure out how to progress the plot, even after finding the hole outside. I can't tell which parts are a bug or my inability to figure it out.

I can't tell which parts are a bug or my inability to figure it out.

the bug is the dialogue, the inability is the fact that you cant trigger potato.

I can't get the performance to flee from the house. I get stabbed every time.

Did anyone actually get the credits? I wanted to see what DFer played what bud.

Ok, after playing through trying stuff for about an hour I got to the credits. Wow, worth the price of admission! I know it's just a prototype but it really sucks you into the world and gives you a lot of feels. I would love to see this worked into a full game. Penn you are awesome. :) Now I get all the potatoes. Super great job to the whole team for getting something this crazy impossible to a playable state. You guys should be proud.

Getting the potato for the first time just made me scream in text for a good three minutes, and it was terrifyingly great. Getting to the wicked end was even more worth it through, and I really hope people take the time to find it. For the time given for such a tall order, the experience was great and surreal (especially at 2am!!). Good job handling the potatoes and bananas, team!

a6NjYf1.png

It's very buggy, but oh boy what an experience. I now agree with Pen's insistency in guiding the player so that he could see the whole thing through. In the end you still have a lot to figure out. Loved it.

So wait, it's possible to not get stabbed? I thought getting stabbed was the ending. am I actually missing something?

So wait, it's possible to not get stabbed? I thought getting stabbed was the ending. am I actually missing something?

Yes, if you didn't see credits you didn't get to the end.

I managed to enable some debugging stuff somehow, don't know how.

2014-03-09_00015.jpg

2014-03-09_00015.jpg.9fdc70869c184e9c864

I misjudged this prototype before playing it to the end.

Potatoes made all the difference. Well kept secret - kudos.

Boy, oh boy - it really ain't that nice, cozy, (kids-friendly!) fun place, I hoped it would be. Pen has trust issues? Haha...

I am not going to judge the prototype by it's progression hindering flaws. Unlike with 'retail' games, I judge this one by what it wants to be, not what it is. (Yes, the reverse math is, even paid game "critics" often judge games but what they want them to be and not the game they are actually playing? But I digress)

First I thought, a 'full' version of this game should have voice recognition (for smaller kids, who are not typing-heroes to be able to play it). I still think, this would be a good idea. For some reason, I have this image of the Skittles/Kinectimals Microsoft E3 demo popping up in my head.

Another thing would be, having a cloud-server(! the latest in hipster game dev fashion!) handling the chat-engine side of things. Ideally, with a big dictionary (for badly typed input) and vast library of responses, recording the input of players and throwing it even more ideally back to others as answers, by losing the questions mark, etc? "What is the meaning of life?" <-> "You know?" <-> "You know." = QED.

Would this be a big selling game, though? Did Pen not burn out on his 2-3 week gamedev experience? Is he rather fired up to 'deliver' a full game, collaborating with Tim & DF? I don't know. I was hoping for Tim & Pen to become 'best buds' in a creative and game-making sense. Only time will tell?

Hey, another poor sod here who can't get past the potato in the ground bit. All the buds keep talking about being let in, I don't seem to be able to do anything. Not sure what I'm missing. It would've been better if the game saved at the spot when the whole house potato happens. Because I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to pick Big Leg and that all the stuff that happens between you picking him and the house potato is always the same?

So I'm unable to give a full summary, but I've got to say the dialogue is well written and voice acted, so that's something... but I'm not so sure if there's a game here, though it's definitely an interesting, delightfully creepy experience.

Made it to the proper ending after a couple of tries. I also accidentally somehow enabled like a speed-up mechanism, where I zoomed around the map and everyone talked super fast. That was fun too.

Smiles

We played this prototype several times, with varying degrees of success even when we knew what we needed to do. It was still amusing each time, though it got frustrating when we said the key words to the potato bud and nothing happened. (Oddly, if at that point we re-entered the house, the whole house potato would replay, and then when we backed up we'd warp to the next potato.) I'm not sure if it was our system, but the other scene was REALLY dark... to the degree that my hubby messed with the game settings and started reading the code to try to figure out how to make it brighter.

Long story short, we really enjoyed this game. It was fun talking to the buds, and I'm really curious now to see what each of their backstories would be, given the opportunity. I also want to see what the different mini-games would be -- hubby found notes in the code about flipping the eggs and lots of additional dialogue tests that didn't make it to the finished prototype. I think this has a lot of potential for a big complete game.

And the audio... wow. Nicely done. I love the Boom Box Bud's tunes, those are hilarious. The voices are also so much fun. Though when the buds turn angry, they're all scary but two stand out: the bud who says he's going to tickle me, and Floaty. Angry Floaty is super creepy. Perfect, but creepy.

Nice job, guys.

This is definitely the strangest and probably hardest of the prototypes xD

It took me quite a bit to finish to be honest, i wasn't really sure what i was doing any of the time, i died at least 10 times before and after the house part (the ones after the house scene being so disappointing because i knew i had to try and get back to the house part again. which took ages for me to get through the dialog. Although some were shorter than others which confused me, i don't know if it is supposed to happen at a certain point or not)

Then when i finally figured out what to do in the house, it took me ages to figure what to do after that part. It was still fun though, i still had fun playing it. It's a lot different to what i imagined from the pitch, but theres no harm in that. if anything it was fun seeing things happen out of nowhere i didn't expect.

In ways it was somewhat morbid :L During the documentary series i heard a few people working on it describe it as "creepy" and i should've picked up on it then but at the time i just thought "how is it creepy?"

well now i know! xD haha

I really liked this prototype, it was more interesting then i thought it would be, a lot more to it and it goes a lot deeper than i thought it would. The wicked end was really intriguing and i don't think i know even now what the hell was going on but it was fun! and i would love to see a full version of this!

I can't even get to the house without being stabbed. I've tried it like a dozen times and it's getting pretty frustrating, is there any way to prevent getting stabbed?

I can't even get to the house without being stabbed. I've tried it like a dozen times and it's getting pretty frustrating, is there any way to prevent getting stabbed?

If you are abusive to the Buds, they'll come after you. So try not knocking 'em around.

Smiles

Loved the game sooo much!

DF should make an IP with Pen. The Style is so damn amazing. I laugh every time the loud pink bud starts to yell at me.

And after (SPOILER)getting stabbed my heart skipped a beat. I was so twitchy, turning around and moving all the time. It really felt like a horrible nightmare and I still had to laugh at yelly guy while sweating my ass off.

Damn fine work for two weeks, looks amazing, very, VERY creative and special!

Sure it's rough to being almost annoying sometimes but I loved it!

I really hope DF considers working with Pen. I'm going to buy and watch all of adventure time now.

Hey, liked the game idea, and liked some of the stuff in it, but I had a lot of problems with the gameplay.

First time I played the game, it crashed my hard drive.

Second through fifth time I opened the game it hung up and wouldn't load.

After optimizing my disk and restarting, it finally played. I hit escape accidentally. Doh!

When I finally got to play it, I changed the user cfg file and could get it to work ok.

***Spoilers after this, if anyone cares:

I found that the conversations with all of the buds didn't match anything I typed, and if I didn't type anything the game progressed anyway. That disappointed me, but hey, you only had two weeks, so no worries.

I got Big Leg and got into the house and experienced the explosion and kept getting potatoed. So I gave up and watched one of the posted playthroughs.

Ok, sure, was interesting, but I'm not sure why I would ever think to run away from the buds, though I got it that maybe you'd have to talk to the potato in the woods. And I am not sure I understand what happened at the end with the car, but sure would love to play a full version of this game.

Nice job overall!

Spoilers below - warned:

|

|

|

|

|

V

I think everything up to getting in the house was pretty 'figure-out-able' - backing out of the house was not really intuitive (although i guess BL does say "get out of here"...) Then I assumed i was meant to run away (btw the creepy world looping is awesome) - and of course I knew that the mouth in the ground was the next point but I couldn't figure out what to do and there just wasn't enough time for a bunch of trial and error before you got overrun by the LPBB's. The solution had kind of crossed my mind but i discounted it due the ground guy being significantly different from the description in BL's big secret (where are these woods you speak of?). I gave up as restarting was just too much of a barrier knowing there was no dialogue skip. I ended up watching a playthrough and had a "ohh it was that..." moment - although "tell me" was barely enough of a clue - im not sure i would have figured it out on my own. After that I ended up going back and playing all the way through (especially after seeing how much better the game looked in high quality - had been playing in low quality due to lag).

I could see coming up with story sequences for choosing all of the other guys being really interesting. Anyway nice job team - can't believe you pulled this off in 2 weeks!

Would love it if Pen revealed a bit more about the overarching story if this game gets shelved :)

I am amazed that you guys attempted this; the scope of the game is pretty cool. I voted for this prototype because it seemed so different and also, well, impossible. I really liked the look of the game, with the bright pink little buds and clover fields. The intro movie is pretty awesome in its minimalistic approach, and I love the tutorial. I really like the lighting changes in the house as Big Leg speaks.

I know this will probably not be made into a game, but I really like it. It would be fun to chat with the Pink Buds and try to find out their stories and thoughts as their tiny AI brains struggle to parse basic sentences. *heehee*

Spoilers:

If the prototype will have any changes made, I recommend adding a quick-time event prompt in the house when Big Leg wants you to leave. "Press S to escape." There is no back door on the house, so I tried everything but pressing S. I thought pressing all the keys at once was the answer until I saw someone mention "S" on the forum.

wow you guys. that was nightmarish! well done! =) very scary and a very nice fresh take on an adventure game.

too bad the controls and chatting was a bit iffy (but that was to be expected I guess). looks so amazing though! great animation and stuff.

so now that its out is there any chance to find out what other content was planned or would be planned for a "complete" game? would be cool to know.

Sign in to follow this