Sign in to follow this  
buckysrevenge

LPBB Feedback

Today I finally found some time to write some feedback on the prototypes. I will also add responses to the other corresponding threads. It was really interesting to see the games come together and it is really impressing what you did in two weeks. Also sorry if some of the things I write already were mentioned. I did not have time yet to read the rest of the feedback.

This game was quite ambitious. The idea of having a lot of little walking chat bots that are reacting in a meaningful way to most things you type sounded interesting, but I think it did not turn out so well. It may work better if you can put in more more time for scripting, but then there will still be a lot of things the little guys will not react to in the way the player expected them to. The total freedom of chat text is probably the most innovative idea about this game but probably also its greatest weakness. Also if there are multiple Buds around you it is not really obvious which one will react to your input. I once wrote something like "I want Big Leg to be my friend" and although he was one of the Buds in front of me, it was actually the hairy guy who reacted to me. Also it seemed to me that some of the most important questions I would have liked to ask in the beginning ("where am i?" "how did i get here") did not really get a proper reaction, but that is probably due to time constraints. I also did not really understand the story (What the hell happened at the end?). I also did not really understand how to get to the ending and only finished the game after reading some threads in the forum. I think a few additional hints there would be nice. I would also suggest some Save/Load feature as it was really frustrating to have to start over every time, especially after you have been to the house once.

Maybe the chatting would feel more satisfing, if the player had a list of questions/sentences you can talk about. If you want to keep the feel of free chatting, you could add some kind of autocomplete feature, that takes what the user types and shows a list of things to say that will lead to a meaningfull response. That list could also be extended after you talked about certain things or certain things happened.

I am not sure if I would buy this game. I think it will be really hard to keep the game interesting for a long time. Still I think you did a good job with this prototype. You really had a lot to do and you achieved a lot. I really liked the voice acting and the graphics really captured the basic Ideas. The dialog was intersting although I probably only got a small part of it. I just think the game gives you too much freedom and this will lead to the game feeling incomplete when the player does or types something that you did not expect.

Also this game may be really hard for people who are not speaking english natively and i am not sure how spelling errors will affect the gameplay. Localizing this game will also probably be a nightmare.

Interesting experiment. It did turn out half-cooked, but they set the scope too high for it to be completed, i guess. Watching the development documentaries, i saw that Pen was aware that there was too much content in it to be finished in two weeks. Maybe he should have cut the number of buds to start with, i don't know. But i guess he really liked the story he thought of and didn't have the heart to cut a good chunk of it.

Great voice acting and very interesting story and ending (getting it is a little bit too much tricky, tho).

It's kinda annoying having to replay through all of it to try again when you loose, to the point it's a little bit frustrating, especially since the dialogue is always the same. For a game with sandbox chat, it seems too piloted, maybe.

It's an incoherent mess as it is, but you can definetely tell there's a very interesting game hidden there.

I'd really like to see what they could do with more time. I would cheerfully pay with my money for that.

Tim and Pendleton should DEFINETELY write a graphic adventure together, also. Man's a genius.

Sign in to follow this