Sign in to follow this  
HonoreMike

Suggestion and Feedback Thread

Let's all put down our suggestions for the game.

I played the Dear Leader prototype, which was pretty fun. I think I also broke it because things stopped happening, as well as the search edict going away.

One of the things I think this game needs is more area's then the office. Places like a factory or a town hall where when you've renamed a city. As it is I feel things get a bit static when you aren't dealing with edicts or ministers.

Also if you ever need a full time writer, I'd love to work on the story and dialogue for the game.

I played this and I too seem to have broken it. Turns out that when you need to arrest a traitor in your cabinet you can just arrest your entire cabinet without any penalty!

Get yr purge on.

The star wipes take way too long, and there needs to be an option to do multiple edicts in a row without constantly going back to the main screen.

When i got to search edicts they seemed tot ake a while to show up in my folder.

Hoever, great game! had a blast and can really see this fleshing out into something great.

YAY!

I enjoy being referred to as The Grande Miss Fabulous - however while making my seal I made a mistake when creating my unicorn stamp and want to erase. Would love for that to be an option. :)

Oh, and there is talk constantly of doing a "Search Edict" but it doesn't actually allow me.

LOVE the music!

I really enjoyed it too.

It's obviously hard to bug-proof a complicated game like this, but after killing Generalissimo early on, I was told I really need to have him killed, literally 2-3 times after he was already dead. I also had the ability to "Leak to Press" info on Scorching Amber, which is odd because I don't think I found anything incriminating about her. Then they later told me I did a great job dealing with her, but I don't think I did.

Also, I remember I did surveillance on Scorching Amber early on and they told me they couldn't find her, but they did find incriminating info on Generalissimo. However, in my reports folder, I received a detailed report of what Scorching Amber was doing all day, and I didn't ever find out what incriminating stuff was discovered about Generalissimo.

The customization is great and really important.

It's impossible to tell which button on your phone corresponds to which minister. This is a pain when you only have so much time in a day and you don't know which minister you're calling up -- I made three search orders without getting clear feedback on them because I didn't click the right minister's button.

I also agree that you should be able to issue multiple edicts at once. I know this messes with the time mechanic a bit, but it gets dull to go back to the desk screen every time and then sort through the tabs all over again to find what you want.

The edicts interface in general needs a rework to make it more fun to use.

The summary screens were a little confusingly written. Would be nice if somebody could proofread them once or twice, because although I liked the overall tone and floweriness of them, I got lost mid-sentence a few times. Some of the sentences were too long, had commas far too many, such that I got lost, mid-sentence, in places that were weird places in which to get lost. Admittedly, I have read English translations of Soviet-era books, and they tend to be really hard to follow.

In the future, the game definitely needs to be deeper and more random. I liked what I played, but it didn't have any clear systems at work -- it seemed to be a choose-your-own-adventure with limited outcomes. Understandable for a two-week prototype, but it would be nice to have more going on and more randomness.

YAY!

I enjoy being referred to as The Grande Miss Fabulous - however while making my seal I made a mistake when creating my unicorn stamp and want to erase. Would love for that to be an option. :)

Oh, and there is talk constantly of doing a "Search Edict" but it doesn't actually allow me.

LOVE the music!

You can do the search edict; what's confusing is that there's no written report for it afterward. You have to talk to one of your ministers to learn what they discovered in the search.

The summary screens were a little confusingly written. Would be nice if somebody could proofread them once or twice, because although I liked the overall tone and floweriness of them, I got lost mid-sentence a few times. Some of the sentences were too long, had commas far too many, such that I got lost, mid-sentence, in places that were weird places in which to get lost. Admittedly, I have read English translations of Soviet-era books, and they tend to be really hard to follow.

I see what you did there. :P

For Annas' first project as lead and although this is a prototype, Dear Leader is fantastic! There's definitely a lot of systems work behind it which I really, REALLY want to see expanded upon.

Similar to the other points raised in this thread, some of the edicts/reports didn't make sense especially with the counter-revolutionaries. I also couldn't seem to progress through to the end of the game without executing Generalissimo. Once I did get to the end and read the text talking about what I have done, it promptly boots me back to the office where all of my edicts have been removed with several ministers going through most of their dialogue one after the other. I'd have been happy with a 'Thank you for playing' and a 'Restart' game option.

Other than that, congratulations to the Dear Leader team and congratulations to Anna for her first project!

I must've played the path that they checked, because I experienced no bugs whatsoever. It was a little too transparent to pick out the traitor, but I don't mind my name being called out and not forgotten. I also wish that the daughter storyline had been expanded a bit more. I'm SO impressed by the fact that this game was made in two weeks. If you keep building trees and consequences, I think it'd be fantastic to see a full-blown version of this. Loved it. Had a lot of fun.

I love this sort of game, and I love what is here to play so far. I also haven't finished the prototype yet, since I really wanted to get a little time with each of the AF games tonight. So, if my comment doesn't apply to the entirety of the prototype I apologize.

That being said, there are definitely some things that could be improved.

The most pressing issue for me is one that I assume is just for the sake of the prototype, but I felt like as each day passed I was basically required to do whatever the minister I talked to that day asked me to do. I didn't really feel as if I had the agency to simply ignore things. For example, if a minister wanted me to investigate someone, until I rubber stamped the investigation, it seemed the day simply wouldn't progress. I was left just sitting at my desk with nothing to do. If you guys continue to pursue this project, could you maybe have it so that if the player focuses in on the clock they can progress through time? This would probably require adding variables for each scenario for "didn't do anything," but I think having the choice to ignore a problem would really help players feel as if they are truly able to control their own destiny.

Second, is complexity. I think this game will really thrive if you eventually overwhelm the player. I would love to just have way more choices than I have time to actually implement. Look at the mid game of Civilization 5 as a good (yet seemingly obtuse) example of what I'm talking about here. There should be more options for things to do than could ever be realistically accomplished, but maybe it shouldn't neccesarily be particularly clear whether or not the player should be focusing on specific goals or trying to take a broad approach.

Anyhow, I'm a huge fan of this concept, the art direction, the basic gameplay, the storytelling. It's all awesome. I would preorder/crowdfund this as a full game today if I had the option. Between what's here, and the interviews with each of you on the daily videos, I have no doubt that this game would probably end up on my "best of the year" list if you guys were given the ability to spend some more time on it.

OK. This game is really great.

First of all, it looks gorgeous. Considering y'all had two weeks, the artwork is incredible. Props to all of the artists.

Next, I love being able to customize so many details. I had them call me "Senor Cardgage" and drew a little picture of him for my stamp. Hearing the citizens cried out "Combolations Elizagerth" is probably my favorite thing ever.

I can see where the gameplay is heading, and while there are some issues right now, I'd be more surprised if there weren't. The only issue I had was that I would run out of obvious issues to deal with at some parts - maybe advisers could keep bugging you about things you haven't taken care of? Otherwise, I like that the choices aren't obviously right or wrong, as choices seldom are in this level of dealings.

I think this would be amazing with more time devoted to it, and it would explore a type of game that just isn't out there right now. I had some concerns that the game would be more like Tropico, where your focus is on the nation and not the leader, but I felt myself weighing my own reputation with the actions I took. Super cool.

The Great Stex had a successful first era, using the cornerstones of agriculture and hospital modernisation under the banner of "Eat, you fools" However after the era change text I clicked on my intercom and came to an inescapable black screen. No worries though, I'll just have to play again! :D

I agree that coming out of the edicts everytime to issue one is a little frustrating, and sometimes the game didn;t realise I'd issued something. I got asked to arrest the rebel leader again after I had just executed him. Maybe that's just super hard line, arrest them again after they are dead! That will show them!! ;)

I got asked to arrest the rebel leader again after I had just executed him. Maybe that's just super hard line, arrest them again after they are dead! That will show them!! ;)

Heh :D

This happend to me too.

The game was awesome though. Will probably play this several more times.

Shows a lot of potential.

I got asked to arrest the rebel leader again after I had just executed him. Maybe that's just super hard line, arrest them again after they are dead! That will show them!! ;)

Heh :D

This happend to me too.

The game was awesome though. Will probably play this several more times.

Shows a lot of potential.

I also had this happen.

I think this prototype was probably the most successful of the whole AF at proving the concept. It already felt like a real game after just two weeks. Sure it was a bit buggy at times, (My stamp got stuck on the pad and I would sign edicts with an invisible stamper) but I really could feel the core loop of the game already. And it was quite compelling.

I constantly felt overwhelmed, with much less time to do everything that I wanted to get done than I had in the day. I was pretty scared at the end that I would get overthrown before I had investigated everyone in my cabinet, simply because it took so much time to do each individual edict. I wonder if the overwhelmed feeling was part of your intention? It's easy to just kill someone at the slightest hint for the sake of expediency.

The main gameplay complaint was the lack of feeling like the 5-year plans and propaganda had a tangible effect on anything. Perhaps this is still an acceptable aspect of the game, since as a despotic tyrant, you would have little connection with the lives of your people. But in the full game it would be nice to feel as though subsequent events were at least related to the focuses you had chosen earlier. As an example, by focusing on industry, you get complaints about pollution or something. Maybe going down this path it ends up a bit too simulation heavy, since the game seems more to want to be a dynamic role playing tool, rather than a sim.

So, overall I'd say that the game is kinda "there." There are a few interface issues in the prototype that would need to be addressed in a smart way:

Of course I share the common complaint about getting the edicts screen to not feel like a chore going back and forth. Even though I think the time as a resource should definitely stay a core of the experience, there is no cool transition that stays cool when you see it 100 times.

Obviously it would be immensely helpful to have the pictures of your cabinet members show up in the edict screen when you're selecting one to assassinate or what have you. Perhaps there are some who are good enough with names, but I was constantly having to cross-reference with the summaries to know who to select.

Well, great job to Anna and the rest of the Dear Leader team. It really is a special little game I think.

I'm playing Dear Leader on my laptop in a 1366x768 resolution. A lot of the text gets cut off, which is especially unfortunate in the case of the multiple dialogue choices, which often can't be read fully, so I can only guess what the full lines might be. Frustrating!

Otherwise Dear Leader fills astoundingly finished! It feels like I'm playing a full game! Of course, it becomes clear soon enough that the content isn't enough for a full game, but just in terms of dialogues, graphics, gameplay and sound design the game is already really well done!

If this is turned into a full game I'd love to see an actual war time state as well, where you need to push out war propaganda, build an army, investigate your possible friends or woes and make alliances (which could also be broken).

And on the same line, I'd love to see foreign affaris to have a part in this as well. It would be nice to be able to send spies to other countries and pehaps even make their strcutures shake and seed your own propaganda to them.

But even as the game its now, it's fun, which is something that could easily be lost from a game like this. It has a nice overview sense of bureocracy of a totalitarian goverment without being TOO bureocratic. It's easy to see how this could be turned into a full pledged game with a lot of replay value.

It looked great, it was funny and it has plenty of replay value.

Would be better if you get to read newspapers and plan some stuff on your own, instead of people calling in all the time telling you what to do.

Best prototype from AF hands down. Begging felt a bit slow, but after short while it picked up speed. I really like the element of dealing with traitors and protecting your regime. So this whole idea of doing bad things while just trying to protect yourself is gray area and it felt quite unique to make those decisions. I enjoyed this short prototype much better than Papers please for example and i can see really big potentional here. If the decisions had big impact and you could see how it affects people, that would certainly help as well. It would be nice if there was some "resource management" of people hapiness, politcal power, regime safety, etc which would be clearly affected by your choices, that would be awesome. And then the whole part of dealing with people who try to disrupt your regime and disposing of them in various ways is great. I realy enjoyed doing surveilance on people and reading reports ( i guess that makes me bad person :) ) and then making decisions based on that. Finding out who was the traitor from the reports and then disposing of him was really brilliant.

For a prototype done in two weeks its an amazing result and would love to see more of this game. I think all prototypes were interesting, but this one should get full version in my opinion.

Just want to point one thing out in case of a full release version, try to make it so you cannot click offscreen for dual monitor users.

Aside from some errors with the message service no major issues on my end.

The game itself was of course a prototype, so I assume stuff like difficulty and challenge is second to showing the aspects of the game which I thoroughly enjoyed. Really hoping for a full release!

Dear Leader A.K.A. Anna,

Congratulations on your work as team leader, your game has easily become my favourite of all the prototypes developed in this years game jam and would love to see your creative vision taken further into development. You have amazing potential and give me ever increasing faith in Double Fine as a broad studio, not just a Schafer Powerhouse. Good luck on all your endeavours,

Michael

While the interface was a bit puzzling I felt Dear Leader had a LOT! of promise. Given a full iterative development cycle to improve the UI and clarify anything vague in the prototype I think this could become a simply amazing game.

Some points that confused me while playing the prototype:

* When a minister suggests we arrest a guy, I have the option to say "I'll deal with this my own way" but I'm not sure what those ways are. All I can find are edicts to arrest them or such.

* I wasn't sure how time progressed forward, or how many actions I could really take in a day. Likewise how many days I had until the game was over.

* Often I'd be sitting there with no incoming calls and no idea what I needed to do next. If I was trying to be lenient and not sign death warrants etc. the game would just stop and wait for me to sign a death warrant, apparently.

Despite some clunkiness -- which is to be expected, given hey, it's a prototype -- I feel this is off to an amazing start!

i thought the game was great. Really easy to get into and figure out intuitively.

at first i thought the pace was too fast. As I kept playing i realized that maybe prioritizing ministers was a good idea and then the pace was less overwhelming. also I think the faster pace goes with the idea of multiple playthroughs (which I think Anna mentioned)

During the second act I wanted to do some stuff like name cities but was more worried about other non-spoily-type-things and so never got around to it (I imagine its hard to balance between open leader experience and directive-based gameplay)

beautiful art/music. talking heads were great and had a lot of personality (great writing!).

Can't imagine what else you could do with this if you did all this in two weeks =)

I was very pleasantly surprised by Dear Leader. It wasn't the prototype I was looking forward the most, It's definitely the most polished and enjoyable out of all of them for me.

It was deeper than I imagined it to be, and had way more features than I thought too. There was actual decision making and consequences, something I always thought Papers Please was lacking. My favorite part was the ability to deal with problematic people / situations in a variety of different ways. It started becoming an very cool detective game at times, having people watched and figuring out who's the threat and who's just weird, and then being judged on how I performed my investigation. More of that would be awesome.

I adored the customization, like having your own title and drawing your own stamp. Very enjoyable to sit and come up with something.

As for the art and sound, Its was perfect. Even the cruder looking stuff was charming and I wouldn't think twice about any asset there being in a final product.

I only had one complaint, and that's some of my reports being hard to find. I sent out several edicts for searches of people homes and I thought it was broken until I finally found the reports not at the top of my paper stack, but the middle. Maybe be better if the most recent report was on top.

Anyway, fantastic job!

Off to a really great start. The amount of detail and fullness/replayability to the game after 2 weeks is mind boggling. The art is perfect and I absolutely LOVE the writing and mechanics. I love the idea of getting to really dive into more options and events, spending more time in each era. Great job to the whole team, was so much fun to watch this develop.

Really like this prototype.

The couple things that need to be improved for a future full release:

1) Seemed like I could do as many actions as I wanted to at the same time without consequence (i.e. I shouldn't be able to do surveillance, search, discredit, leak to press, etc on the same time).

2) I couldn't see the consequences of a lot of my actions. In a full game I'd like to be able to see my popularity score, what my production numbers are for Industrial, Agriculture, literacy, etc, have resources to manage. If I put focus on an Industrial 5-year plan I ought to have different options for actions to do (there probably should be a tech tree sort of like Civilization, for instance).

As others mentioned, I'd like to be able to do multiple edicts at once without having to exit back to the desk each time.

Yes to multiple edicts in one go for me, I would also like some safe way to pass the time, it felt like I was passing investigation edicts to just pass the time. I was also confused at how much time using the intercom took up.

I couldn't get Search edicts to work when I did find them and the game seemed confused as to who was dead or alive.

It was very atmospheric though and when things got hectic I liked the feeling of having to figure out what my priorities were. Feel it has a lot of potential but the massive "state" machine needs to be more reliable.

Loved the little details like the stamp design and being able to name things.

When Anna referenced Papers Please as an inspiration I was not super interested as it is not typically my kind of game. But I really enjoyed Dear Leader and would absolutely play a full version. The artwork was gorgeous and the desk interface worked well. The writing for the bios and ministers was great, and the classical music worked. (I gotta go download the AF album) It is short, but still hard to believe you guys made it in two weeks. Great job.

I ended up eating a cyanide, which was fun but not the desired ending. So I'm going to give it another play-through, so far it's really interesting.

Although it's a bit annoying that when you order a search you have to flip through surveillance to read it; would have been nice to have all the reports in either chronological order or ordered by person.

I found a few things missing in this: a quit function during and a quit or restart option at the end. And while the edicts automatically go to the most recently added one, the reports for some reason doesn't go to the most recently added one when you have surveilance or searches done.

Also, this game has the same issues with some things simply not working as Broken Age has on my system - it's a Sony laptop with a Sony custom ATI graphics card that AMD/ATI update tools refer to Sony for driver updates, and that Sony hasn't updated since 2009. The ones I have noted are that the fan does not display at all, there is no animation of blimps on the start menu, and there is no glow from the intercom buttons. A driver issue to be sure, but irritating nonetheless since the buttons actually tell you which ministers want to talk with you and I can't see that glow.

Just a quick note that you can press Esc to pause or get the quit option. We didn't get a chance to do a quit/restart, but that is definitely a feature for the final version, as is the branching save system like that in Papers, Please.

Sign in to follow this