Sign in to follow this  
buckysrevenge

Mnemonic Feedback

Same trouble with running the Steam version as everybody else had.

I found this prototype to be missing a quit option, like the Q on the help screen in Steed. Especially wanted when you hit the end and can't really do anything.

Esc works. Q on the help screen would be better imo.

Totally nitpicking here, but... the nurse in me cringed at the recorded conversation. That's supposed to be someone who's studied therapeutic communication, yeah? "At least you're free when you're flying. NOW LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DREAMS" is so cringe-worthy. If this game is developed fully, I'd definitely recommend bringing in a consultant - a therapist, counselor, social worker, doctor, nurse, etc.

Otherwise, fantastic. Very unique.

This game is awesome! It took me a while to get though, but I never really got frustreted, since the the atmosfere is really engaging.

It's almost baffeling how well this concept works with the adventure game genre.

There something about being close to figure out the solution to a puzzle, and the feeeling of not remebering, that fits really well together.

I would have paid for this as a finished indie game.

Edit:

The controls could use some work, though.

I think a lot of the clunkyness comes from having to do two things at once when using an inventory item (hold rightclick and scroll).

Maybe a classic adventure game inventory would work better?

Or maybe Grim Fandango-style key to get item, then another key to put it back?

Also, it would be cool if you were able to look at things like the picture, without holding a button.

Picking up the newspapers, note and stuff (in a second inventory) could also be nice for a full game.

Edit2:

As others have mentioned:

My Steam verison cannot run, I had to use the humble download.

If you leave the car-scene and come back, you can grab the picture as many times as you repeat.

I'll be honest and say that when the games were pitched this really wasn't on my radar, but after playing it I definitely think it was the most interesting game! I think if any Amnesia games should go into full production it should be this one.

There's a lot of cool stuff in this prototype! Considering y'all only had two weeks, it looks really good. The style was executed really well, and it definitely works in this environment. I want more adventure games to feel like this!

My main complaint is there were a few speed bumps I hit before I could play the game properly. As several people have pointed out, the Steam launcher didn't work, and then I had some issues with the controls (as I mentioned and resolved elsewhere on the Mnemonic board). Then, I got two copies of one of the items - not game-breaking, but perhaps somewhat distracting. As polished as the game looks, these issues threw me off a bit.

So... Yeah. Other than that, this is a solid piece of work. Cheers, Team Mnemonic!

Note: If the Steam version isn't working for you, right-click on the game in steam, then go to -> Properties -> Local Files -> Browse Local Files, and then run Mnemonic_NoSteam.exe

The launcher seems to be giving some people problems. I’ve added a Steam option to allow you to launch directly into the game; restart Steam if you don’t see it.

Note: If the Steam version isn't working for you, right-click on the game in steam, then go to -> Properties -> Local Files -> Browse Local Files, and then run Mnemonic_NoSteam.exe

The launcher seems to be giving some people problems. I’ve added a Steam option to allow you to launch directly into the game; restart Steam if you don’t see it.

Still fails to launch into the game from Steam using either with or without launcher. NoSteam is fine though.

Yep, same here. Using the Steam launcher complains about steam_api.dll missing while the "no launcher" option does seemingly nothing. The humble download version works fine.

just two quick things:

Mnemonic on Linux: runs.

you need to $ winetricks vc2010 ... and add 2-3 dlls to your winecfg file and that's it. Or you could just look at the redist folder and 'fake' install them all via WINE command.

BiMVR1zCQAAGbBM.jpg

Mnemonic with "poor man's Oculus Rift" (Nvidia 3D Vision Driver): runs.

I am using the "poorest" of the poor solutions: color anaglyph, stereoscopic 3D, which just requires you to have a 1$ pair of plastic red-cyan glasses. The other solutions should run too, but I am not at my 3D Monitor to check them out.

photo anagl3dmnemonic_zps3101727d.png

Using COLOR to make it look 3D BLACK & WHITE - I don't know, if Derek would approve that - haha!

I think there's a lot to like about Mnemonic. The art style is great and very atmospheric. The noir just oozes through it. Sadly I couldn't test it with Oculus, as I don't own one. I also found the focus system a nice idea.

I can't say I liked how the inventory worked. It felt a bit too cumbersome way to handle such a simple task and at times looking for the right hotspot wasn't very intuitive or well handled. That might be an issue with hotspot though (I'm referring to skyline, that was hard to locate. I wasted a lot of time trying to pinpoint the exact location).

Also this is a game that is made of broken with writing. The script for this kind of a game is in a key position. Overall I'd say there's a promise in here.

After downloading all the AF2014 games, this was the first I tried out. :)

As expected, the visuals are utterly gorgeous and deliciously noir. Mad props to all the modellers, texture artists, and VFX people on the team.

As for gameplay, I got slightly stuck once I picked up the photo (but eventually recovered through trial and error). I got very stuck when I had to get the key; this was the first puzzle where you had to get memories from two different places and use them in the same place in order to advance. I can understand why maybe you wouldn't want the game to be completely linear, but even normal adventure games have a reputation for requiring crazy dream logic, and Mnemonic is starts with crazy dream logic—as a player, the linearity of the puzzles was my lifeline in figuring out what the heck was going on.

The interface, particularly for dealing with the inventory, was a bit clunky because the inventory was 'slippery'.. I'd get out an inventory item and then walk up to where I wanted to use it, and it would slip away before I got it in place. Then I'd bring it up again and left-click to use it, and nothing would happen, and while I started at the screen in confusion the item would slip away again. Eventually I'd remember to bring it up, hold right-click and *then* left-click, and get the "I wish that worked here, but it doesn't" message, and have to think of something else.

I wish the normal "examine" mode (what happens when you hold right-mouse without an inventory object) were treated as an inventory item, like a magnifying glass or something. Then I could just mouse-wheel among all the inventory items whenever, right-click to hold them up, and left-click to use them. Everything would be consistent.

Really enjoyed it, finally some crazy non-standard dreamy puzzle design. It doesn't have to be all black and white though.

cool game, realy liked the key puzzle and felt satisfying figuring it out. If the puzzles would be more like this yet would make a bit more sense it could be brilliant, since it puts you into this weird mindset. One thing which frustrated hell out of me was the Esc key. I am used to hit esc to hide stuff like menu, journal etc. Had to replay bunch of times because of hitting the key automaticly, since it quits game and doesnt save game without no warning. But that would be my main complain, so i think thats good for prototype :)

Man I got stuck for the longest time, cool game though, hope it gets made into a full version.

Okay I've read through this thread and I still can't figure out what to do! I have the key and the lamp.

I told you man, I told you Mnemonic was awesome.

Derek do you still wish it didn't get chosen? ;)

At first I found it quite hard to really understand the puzzles, instead I pretty much trial and errored through the first puzzles. And at the end, they actually started to make sense to me but by then the game was pretty much already over. It was great!

I'll be honest, I was a bit skeptical, but f-ing hell this turned out to be the prototype I enjoyed most (Shows why I'm not a game developer and you are). I can't even nitpick what I didn't like, the visuals, puzzles, atmosphere, lighting I just really like this.

edit: Changed the wording a little.

Well done team. This is a very enjoyable prototype and I would play a full game of Mnemonic.

I finished all prototypes now and I have to say this is my favorite one. The game has a great vibe. I really hope I get to see more of it in the future.

Okay I've read through this thread and I still can't figure out what to do! I have the key and the lamp.
You cannot get any use of the key yet until you've used the lamp. Think of the lamp as more as a headlight.

Very impressive prototype (once I got it working outside of Steam)! Loved the atmosphere, the mood, the lighting, the music, the gameplay...everything. Only problem I had in the game was the picture puzzle - I knew what to do but couldn't do it, and it turns out you have to stand in the exact right spot to get it to trigger. Would love to see what happens next, please make a full game of this!

I can't seem to get past the key puzzle--I've used it and now have no inventory items and no idea what to do next. help?

this game is really amazingly well made though, i love the atmosphere!

I can't seem to get past the key puzzle--I've used it and now have no inventory items and no idea what to do next. help?

this game is really amazingly well made though, i love the atmosphere!

Go read a key word (no pun intended) on the poster from which you acquired the key.

It sounds like you missed something on the balcony. Be sure to search in all directions.

It sounds like you missed something on the balcony. Be sure to search in all directions.

thanks, I was able to finish the game. the twist at the end was really intriguing, I'd love to be able to see the story expanded on in a full game! great work team 8)

Completed the prototype just not long ago, I loved the idea you guys where going for. Thought I'd just throw out my 2 cents as feedback.

The theme and concept of the game as a whole I thought were great. I can really imagine it being a good full-length experience as long as the story and revelations from each memory as you progress where written well. The setting was cool as well, It reminded me of the original bioshock and It'd be fun to explore more densly detailed, but small environments if there was a decent lore behind the company / characters to read about.

I liked the structure too. Returning to a memory and it having take new meaning because of what you've learnt, like the lights shining new detail on the alley scene, was nice.

The puzzles themselves where interesting. I enjoyed the idea of using concepts rather than items to solve puzzles and make the right connections. I didn't get stuck at any point, but I remember solving the key puzzle with the skyline being really rewarding even if It wasn't too difficult to figure out. More abstract ideas like that one would be great.

A few things I found bothersome, but would probably work in a full-length game, was the documents you find. For such a short prototype there was a lot of reading, some of the backstory seeming redundant. But again, that's probably just because of the pacing of the prototype.

Also, being ported back to the hub world after finding certain clues was annoying, as I hadn't finished exploring that area yet.

Overall, I loved it! Great job.

You guys all nailed the combination of adventure game mechanics but with the dream like logic and making memory connections instead of just "put this item here." I actually felt like I was moving through someone's subconscious. The lighting was amazing in particular. I'd love to see a longer story done in this way with more puzzles to play around in (I actually thought Brad's jokey idea of a clock on a wall that you put your arm next to which turns it into a watch was super cool). I'm a sucker for that dreamy ambiance.

Finally got it running on Steam and finished it. It took me a bit to get the mechanic in my head, but once I did it was great. I could totally see a whole game using this. Props to the whole team. Music/sound/Voice acting was great and you guys knocked it out of the park with the look. It really did get close to Derek's concept art. Brad was right, holy shit Derek Brand you are a genius.

I enjoyed it a good amount. Something I'd like to see if it gets picked up and developed further would be if you had to actually wonk your memories up even more than they already are on an initial pass-through in order to obtain items/sounds/whatever that would be unattainable from the memories as they actually happened. Then maybe you go back to the memories later and fix them up properly once you've obtained the majority of the items needed to finish the game.

Sign in to follow this