Sign in to follow this  
buckysrevenge

Mnemonic Feedback

One (or two) feature(s) that I found missing from this game was a Quit function and a Quit or Restart at the end.

I know, but the H screen doesn't mention it and the end still doesn't give you the options outright. This isn't like Steed where you can roam free at the end and where you have an outright quit button from the help menu, this has an end where you can't do anything, so making it explicit would be good.

Interesting prototype, the story could really go somewhere in the full game.

Nice AF-reference easter-egg if you let the credits loop for a bit :P

If you do the 'get the picture twice' bug, you can still pull the picture out of inventory at the end too..

I got stuck for a long time in a particular puzzle. Like a few others here, I tried the correct solution several times from up close, only to realize that I had to stand at a particular spot. That twist at the end was very cool, but I'm not a big fan of how abruptly the prototype ended. I feel like the story could be very interesting in a longer game.

Based on the early documentary I had low hopes for this. I now get what Derick's (that's the guy's name right?) vision was and see tons of potential here. The memories, the puzzles, the visual or auditory linking. What a clever sandbox for a game designer to create with. The visual style fit the story well. I've only played 2 prototypes so far, but including the previous AF prototypes, this is my favorite that I've played yet.

What an experience! This was sooooooo gooooooood!

Despite the little problems I had, like wouldn't start until you guys brought the workaround,

or the fact that I knew what to do but the solution wouldn't take because I had to stand at the right place,

this was fantastic.

The lights, the music, the sounds, the environs, everything!

You really brought the concept art to life, too! So amazing!

Special shoutout to the voice actors, you really pushed that the great ambience of the game!

And man, the ending... Did not see that coming!

All in all, all that is left is this:

Team Mnemonic, great Job!

Its a great idea, but man is it easy to get stuck. I forgot I even had an inventory as I was playing. It gets the idea across well.

I really enjoyed playing this prototype, and really hope that it gets further development. I'm surprised by how polished it is, it really feels like the opening chapter for a game, rather than just a prototype. It is really well paced because the puzzles are not super straight-forward, yet not obtuse. They are a little different than the usual adventure game puzzles, but there are logical clues for the use of each item (ie. the key). Anyways, great job, I particularly enjoyed watching this game's development on the documentary and live streams, and for some reason I kept feeling so vicariously proud of Brad and Derek.

Its a great idea, but man is it easy to get stuck. I forgot I even had an inventory as I was playing. It gets the idea across well.

Luckily it seems to me as though that problem is easily solved. Whenever you try to use something where it doesn’t fit you could get a subtle hint (like in Broken Age). That’s would also get rid of the repeating “Can’t use this here!” dialog and solve two problems at once. Add to that some input improvements and this would be golden as a longer game (doesn’t even have to be that long, I think the prototype showed quite well that it also works well as a really tight and short experience).

Obviously that kind of polish was not possible with a two week prototype, but even though this is already a very satisfying and complete package that works really well. I really like the weird puzzle logic. (The atmosphere was awesome, too, but the puzzles really made you feel like you were putting memories together.)

WOW! Derek, you and the entire team should be very proud. This was always my top choice of all the games pitched, and it really lived up to the promise. I thought it had great gameplay, and the noir visuals, lighting, concepts and audio really made it a ton of awesome. It didn't disappoint.

My only issues were the same as others have already mentioned, multiple copies of the postcard and trouble with the key puzzle. I knew exactly where to use the key but moving just a tad off target means you never see the blue glow to be able to use it correctly. That was my only difficulty. I also agree that the scroll/right mouse/left mouse combo was a little challenging to deal with...wish the item just stayed put unless you put it away manually rather than having to hold down the right button the entire time.

I hope this game gets made into a full version...there is so much great stuff you can add with the theme you began here, and so many great memories/puzzles and incredibly gruesome backstory to add. Loved the audio files on the tape recorder and look forward to hearing more about the therapist/researcher/mad scientist experimentation going on in that regard.

Congratulations again!

I was inititally skeptical of this game's concept, especially whether it was possible to demonstrate it given the AF's time constraints. The end result was a really pleasant surprise. I can't say I always undestood why a certain item unlocked something, but the whole idea of unlocking "memory parts" was awesome and executed well. I can't help but wonder how a full game of this would look like... :)

haha I found a turkey leg!!

where??

SPOILER

Hint 1 *** it's on the first door, but you have to look really really well ***

Hint 2 / Exactly where it is *** after entering the first door, walk backwards until you stop. then, walk a bit to the left and use focus to search until it gets highlighted ***

Man, i'm usually good at adventure games but I've come at this game about three different times. I've got half a key and picture and have no clue what to do. I've done the classic thing of trying every item on every other item. gone to every room about a dozen times.

EDIT: uugughghg! nevermind. I had to stand in the right place. I thought the picture looked similar to that but i couldn't get it to work.

This is my #1 prototype for sure. I think there's some real potential for a Tex Murphy style first person adventure game where you are trying to piece the story together by reconstructing your memory and figuring out what's true and what's not. I especially liked how some of the text and the face in the article were blurred out. It fit really well into the memory theme.

It wasn't always very clear to me what you could interact with, so I think there could maybe be some visual cues for the interactive elements in the scene. Also, I felt that narration could've been used a bit more, perhaps to establish a little bit more context for the scenes and the interactive elements. I think it would also help people relate to the protagonist. Also, there could maybe be a crouch feature to let you look under desks and explore the world a at a different angle.

Finally, I think Derek's idea for the full game that you could switch to the real world to figure out what parts of the memories are real and what not would be great for this game. It could also work the other way around -- you could maybe use memory/subconscious world to figure out that someone's lying to you in the real world.

I'd buy a full game of this. Fantastic. The puzzles and atmosphere were perfect. Well done, I was worried after watching the doc :)

I just knew the wrench was interactable, I just didn't find the turkey leg!

Anyone combine it with the wrench?!!

Awesome!

Haha!, that's the best easter egg ever.

I really wasn't expecting much from this going by the documentary footage at the beginning, to be honest i thought Derek was going to be the one to have a nervous breakdown at some point. But playing through the game i am blown away by how complete and well thought out it was. It is the best of the bunch and would be interested in seeing how this could be made into a full game. Its definitely a unique take on the adventure game.

I really enjoyed this game, even when I couldn't find the on my first run and on my second couldn't find the right spot for the postcard again.

It's really spoiled me for the rest of the prototypes......

Got it, just trial and error.

I LOVE the key puzzle, its by far the best of the game.

Derek and team, this was amazing. I hope DF can do a full game out of this idea.

And if you do, please keep the infinite postcards bug :)

Phenomenal prototype. Visuals and sound are great obviously, but I was also impressed by how satisfying the story and puzzles were.

Everyone who complained about Broken Age being too easy should be pretty happy with Mnemonic (I think it took me longer to beat Mnemonic than BA, which kind of points to the ridiculousness of using play time as a measure of value, but that's off-topic). I did get stuck a lot, but the puzzles don't seem too unfair in retrospect. "The" puzzle (you know, that one) was actually pretty intuitive; it was the first puzzle that tripped me up the longest.

Oh, I almost forgot what I came here to comment on: the credits are really beautifully done. I also totally missed the subtext in the "I don't know how long I've been like this; it must be around two weeks, but it feels like forever" line until it replayed during the credits. It was kind of mindblowing with the whole connecting of memories thing going on. Whoever came up with that, you're a genius.

Anyone combine it with the wrench?!!

Awesome!

I laughed out loud when I accidentally found the turkey leg. I guess Brad was able to get that in there after all. :D

One more thing regarding the puzzles -- I think that some of them could work well as just filling out missing pieces. For example, finding a name or a date in one memory and inserting it into a blurred out part in another one. The player could have an inventory of items, shapes, names, dates, faces, etc...

I don't ever post here but I felt obligated after playing this game. This was an absolutely fantastic prototype on every level. Derek and the team should be extremely proud, this was very well put together. Certainly a surprise, since the first few days of the documentary seemed chaotic.

Hey, guys. Just completed the prototype and wanted to share some thoughts.

I only did the main thing/puzzle. So if there was anything else there (and from people's comments it seems like there was), that's a bit of a lost effort on me, so I apologise. This experience might've been worse for me because I got through the entire thing pretty quickly and I felt like there wasn't enough stuff to interact with in some locations (the garage being the one I had the most issues with).

As a narrative-driven game, this is still a concept that might work pretty well, but the puzzles need some reworking in order to feel organic for this kind of atmosphere. I'm a little bit disappointed with how the gameplay part of this worked out, but the praises for the art style etc. are very well deserved and that's still enough to sell me on this idea... but it definitely needs polishing. I assume that you guys already had some ideas for alternative approaches while you worked on this, so I'm not going to muddle this post with some of mine ;) But if you'd like to pick our brains for some solutions, I'll keep my eyes open for a discussion on that.

I can totally see this game being a blast with the Oculus Rift though. I might even have the chance to try it out (there's a dev kit in the company I work in). As an Oculus Rift game, the light puzzles would play second fiddle to pure exploration, and if that element got polished, with the gameplay kept casual like, this could be a winner in its own category.

Pretty good overall, if a little too short for its own good - but the two week constraint makes a project like this difficult to do perfectly, so good job anyway! Best regards to the whole team!

Just played through it, bit late but hey hoe.

I really loved this one! it is amazing and the lighting is beautiful. The whole concept is just so awesome and i love the gameplay! it's a more unique kind of adventure/puzzley game and i was really impressed how it was tied together from door to door. The ending was great as well! Never have i actually been so enthusiastic to want to know what the hell is going on and what happens next. :') was like, holy crap what are they playing at!? OH i can't wait to see what happens next sh*t is going dow-AW it ended :(

For the project that started off like it did, and was the questionable one as to if it would get there or not, you guys really did pull it out of the bag. You should all be so proud of yourselves, you made an amazing prototype!

Sign in to follow this