Sign in to follow this  
EdenCrow

What prototype should be a full game and why?

Mnemomic, no doubt! Dear Leader looks nice, but it's not my cup of tea... and I'm afraid I didn't understand Steed much :-)

Quite enjoyed Mnemonic i think the key puzzle showed the games potential - also I thought this game would be really serious for some reason and had not been drawn to it initially but after playing I think it could fit quite well into the double fine family :) Steed was my only vote that made it to the final 3 and it didn't disappoint - would be really keen to see where they take it - especially with time to improve the combat and really polish and push the art style.

Dear leader broke for me and Its just not my kind of game plus it just doesn't feel like a "double fine game" - and well LPBB, i actually really liked this but needs ton of work on the chat engine (almost wonder if its worth ditching for just written dialogue trees).

I would be keen for full versions of Mnemonic or Steed (and i think we'd all take a crack at LPBB if it can be pulled off) :)

Man, sounds like you ran into bugapalooza.

About Dear Leader, did you not ever receive a summary screen of any kind? Did you just force-quit or something?

It's not about playing well or playing badly -- it sounds like you must have done something that upset a trigger. Just a bug.

Nope, no summary screen, I gave up and quit, like I said. Having to pass a meaningless edict to move the hour forward, then having to repeat that many, many times to move the day forward, then moving forward several days without anything but that ... and I knew it was a bug and I quit. Clearly, they did not mean for me to run out of things to do.

But from reading other forum posts, it sounds like, for example, having a traitor is based on a combination of starting values and how you treat your ministers—where by treating them well, you may simply not have a traitor. And being overthrown doesn't happen if you've already killed the revolutionaries—and I killed my revolutionary so quickly (through what, if the wording of the edicts was to be believed, was a legal and just process), I had ministers asking me days later whether I wanted to assassinate them in secret. And by synchronizing my 5-year-plans with my propaganda, the people seemed to stay happy, and ... then I didn't have anything else to do.

It seemed like the scenarios they planned for were all predicated on things going badly, rather than well.

Yeah, it's definitely not because you played "too well," because the traitor pops up in the second act. It sounds like you didn't even get out of the first act, which I believe is usually triggered after you kill/imprison/discredit/deal with both counterrevolutionaries.

Nothing is dependent on the player playing poorly, per se; you just didn't get moved to the second act, for reasons I'm not sure of.

For me it's Steed.

LPBB had serious technical problems, and even though I got to the wicked end I don't have much of a clue what was going on. Still had fun with it, but I can't see myself enjoying a full game.

I never played Dear Leader. I'll trust you all that it's awesome, it does indeed look well put together, it's just not a style I'm interested in.

Mnemonic was great, I'd love to play a full version of this, especially once I get my hands on a Rift. All the problems I had with it relate to the fact it was made in two weeks, I'm sure a full version would iron out those issues.

But for me it's Steed. Huge potential for an open world, RPG elements, very DoubleFine-esque storyline and humour. I could see myself galloping through sunny fields kicking down Grex and poopin' for hours. Steed please.

Dear Leader: My favorite out of the bunch. I only voted for it in the second round, but I feel it was the most polished, and the most fun to play. It hit the perfect mix of satirical humor, and serious subject matter. Anna did a great job directing her team on what she wanted out of the game. The Dear Leader sections became my favorite to watch in the documentaries. I don't usually go for these sorts of games, but the writing, art, and story were just perfect.

Mnemonic: While I originally voted for this both rounds, I became more skeptical of its viability as the documentaries progressed. The mood and atmosphere were great, but it would take a lot of work and some serious dedication to make the puzzles more approachable. Maybe the full game will have more time available to properly introduce the player to the innovative puzzle mechanics.

Steed: Voted for this one in the second round. Felt pretty solid. I liked it, but doesn't stand out to me as much as the other ideas. It would definitely fit well in the Double Fine library.

Little Pink Best Buds: This one just annoyed me. Some of the characters were pretty funny, but I couldn't friend any of the ones that I actually liked because ErR0r eRr@r c0Mm3nT N0+ deVE\opEd. Compromises should have been made in this respect.

Voted Dear Leader because it seemed the most promising of all the games i tried. the prototype they made really captured the atmosphere and feel what it could be like being a leader in revolution! i see alot of potential how they could make this game much deeper and more advanced game mechanics with some work. would love if they made it a full game.

I played Dear Leader for the longer than any of the other prototypes. It was so funny - I laughed out loud more times than was comfortable for those who happened to be sitting in the same room as me. I didn't vote for it, but I'm really glad the prototype got made. I would love to play a full version.

Mnemonic was also excellent, I think the idea has so much potential, and a lot of that was shown in the prototype. I'd definitely buy a copy.

And Black Lake! Yes! I keep hoping DF are going to announce that they've secretly been working on it (although I'm pretty sure the main artist is working on Broken Age?). But I would love to see DF make full versions of any of these 3 games :)

Dear Leader was the standout idea from the get-go, and I think it also was the best executed prototype in AF. I would drop $30 for a full-scale Dear Leader in a heart-beat.

Mnemonic 1, but Steed a close second!

Loved how Mnemonic just flowed from one memory to the next, and then how you combined the inventory items between them. Interface could be tweaked a bit for keyboard mouse though.

Steed: I would love to see the multiple 'inept' riders part of the game and I'm pretty curious what the big conspiracy will be you must uncover.

I think all three could become full games. They are all flawed but these are prototypes. There is potential in all of them but I think Steed would be the more mass-appealing but it would need great writing to make it really worth it.

Dear Leader needs UI work because it wasn't really useable (books). Otherwise it was fine.

The last one is Mnemonic which is kind of an outsider. I am not sure I really liked the prototype. It was a bit too difficult to understand what to do.

And Black Lake! Yes! I keep hoping DF are going to announce that they've secretly been working on it

There is a little bit of news regarding Black Lake here:

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/13581/

...basically, DF seems interested in developing it, enough to go pitch it to publishers. That's a good sign

Ok, here's my two cents.

1) If you only choose one, please make Mnemonic. I HAVE to know what the frump the heart thingy story leads to. I just have to. Mnemonic was always my top game, and it DID NOT disappoint. I loved the story, the gameplay, the noirish feel, the art, the lighting..everything. A total adventure game experience with great art and story.

2) Dear Leader was always in my top three, and it too was awesome and fun. Loved the art, story, ability to customize, and the idea itself is just too fun. Definitely can be played multiple times with added fun each time. I think this is the most likely game for iOS/Android tablets out of the lot of them, and would love to play it on my iPad.

3) Steed was gorgeous, and had fun gameplay. I think if I were more into console gaming with a nintendo like controller I'd be more into this kind of game. I have always been more an adventure game lover than an action/attack type game, so this isn't as interesting for me, but still did enjoy the prototype.

4) Little Pink Best Buds was wacky, screwy, disturbing fun, but has so many challenges ahead of it to make it work smoothly. I think because it was so ambitious for two weeks, there were so many things that didn't really click for me in the game. I'm more skeptical, I guess, about this one working out.

Take those two cents for what they are worth...and thanks for asking for all this feedback...

I didn't vote, 'cause I really don't know what to vote for. I would play all of them as full games. Sorry if that's a cop out, but you can't make me choose! T_T

I feel I would play Dear Leader least, not because it wasn't awesome, but it just isn't really my type of game. But they did an amazing job in two weeks of making me want to play something that isn't my type of game. And I would definitely buy a full version.

I loved Mnemonic, it was a little different than I originally expected, but really cool and it felt great working out those crazy puzzles. I want it.

Steed seemed the least realised of the prototypes. The mechanics seemed cool, but I didn't really get much of a sense of what the final game would be. But I think it has the most potential out of all of them, and it's the only one of the finalists I actually voted for (not that I was disappointed with the choices AT ALL). :)

Little Pink Best Buds is amazing. It seems like it would take a heap of work to get it right, and make it responsive enough, but it would be well worth it. I'm glad they stuck to getting Big Leg's story complete in the two weeks. I got a bit frustrated because I kept dying just after the house, but that made me play through it multiple times to get to the end, and doing that it really helped me see how much potential that game has. After playing up to the house several times I got impatient and angry and I let it show in my responses in the game, (I even typed 'I'm sorry I was mean to you Big Leg!' at one point.) and if the characters were able to really react to that kind of stuff it would be truly incredible.

Mnemonic is artsy, and cool, and creative, and unique, and all the things that don't sell well... ever.

I don't think you're right. I mean, you are right for AAA console games, but for indie digital download game those are exactly the games that sell the most

Games like Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead sold pretty well. It's not like a AAA game can't sell if it's not a dumb uninspired online multiplayer FPS. They usually don't sell well because they aren't supported by adequate marketing.

Dear Leader!

Which is surprising for me as I wasn't even remotely interested in it at pitch, but it's turned out to be pretty amazing, I love the art style and I think it is pretty unique even if it combines elements from other games. (I feel like it's The Movies meets Tropico)

I agree with the comment that it would be a good app/mobile game, It's simple enough (at this stage) to keep me interested on a mobile but perhaps a little static for pc play.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mnemonic fleshed out as well, but I think that could do with a lot more work. The original pitch was all about things fitting into shapes at different angles etc and I feel like the prototype was a bit 'flat' in that sense, though it was nice to see how an audio memory worked (leading to some serious freaky potatoes.)

Honestly after playing the prototype LPBB just completely lost me, too unnecessarily dark, broken and disjointed. I had always envisioned it being a 2D touch game, 3D just kind of threw it off immediately for me and the controls would need serious work. I just didnt understand the potato end, it made no sense at all.

Steed was pretty, and cool but as others have said it's kinda like Spyro or another platformer, it was a nice concept though.

I would love to play a full version of Mnemonic. The half hour it took me to get through the prototype engaged me even more than Broken Age, in a pure Adventure Game sense. I felt stupid, I felt smart, I got into the story - a full game, carefully designed with a learning curve and a satisfying story conclusion would be a really special experience.

I wonder, is at least one prototype sure to become Doublefine's next game? Is it purely a publisher decision? Two games from the last AF are getting full game release, but I think that's in a big part because publishers came out and expressed interest? Games like Massive Chalice seem to have sprung up between AFs after all, so I wonder how much "guarantee" AF provides?

It's never purely a publisher decision. It's an economics decision for sure, but if Double Fine can secure funding, by whatever means, then they can make it, given that they feel they can spare the necessary developers at the current time. So, Angel investor, Indie fund, self funding, crowdsourced funding, publisher deal, self-funding-until-early-access-is-possible are possibilities. It doesn't even have to be just one alternative. Heck, with the cooperation they've had with Humble Bundle, I could see a help-us-make-game-x bundle that gives buyers some DF wares, and then all revenue generated goes directly into that particular game project, as a replacement for Kickstarter or Indiegogo

I think a problem Double Fine is running into right now with crowd funding and bundles though, is that they've gone to their existing fanbase quite a lot, with Broken Age, Massive Chalice, Early Access for Spacebase DF-9, two Amnesia Fortnight bundles, one main Humble Bundle, one Humble Weekly Sale, and most of those fans that want a particular DF game already have it, and they have probably thinned the pouches of their fanbase enough that getting a new game funded to the amount necessary to fully crowdsource it is becoming a slim chance.

There's a real sense of playability and returning joy to Dear Leader. It has been my favourite from the pitch to its last iteration. It is one I truly hope to see on my Steam account within (hopefully!) a few months. Can't wait to send all 'em pesky rebels to prison.

Funny enough, I thought Steed seemed to be a classic point and click puzzler when I first heard the pitch. It kinda galloped away from me throughout its development, I must say... I had to make the pun. Sorry... just had to.

Mnemonic, with detailed writing and puzzles that HAVE to make you cringe and spend a lot of time on, coupled with a feeling of despair and nervousness akin to Gone Home, would be an incredible product. With multiple endings based on how you progress, I'd play it until I saw all the storylines fulfilled.

LPBB looks to be Godus on LSD. I'd definitely buy it.

I think Little Pink Buddies is entirely doable without the chat system. There's really nothing I love about the prototype or even the pitch of the game that requires the ability to type anything I want. If it had a deep conversation system where choices in the trees had consequences it would still be wonderful. I want to hear what the pink guys have to say and I want to see what they do. Having complete control over what I say to them is less important than learning about the pink guys, and I can learn a lot about them with pre-authored dialog choices. The Mass Effect series offered a great sense of player authorship with pre-authored choices, and little pink buddies wouldn't need nearly the reams of dialog text and dialog choices to have even more scope of choice with the number of characters it has and a greater focus on interaction and less focus on epic space opera narrative.

Parabolic, most interesting idea, could be unique.

Have we heard anything about which game has been chosen to be fully developed?

Have we heard anything about which game has been chosen to be fully developed?

Bad Golf, wasn't it? ;)

Sign in to follow this