Sign in to follow this  
EdenCrow

What prototype should be a full game and why?

If you could only choose one, what prototype would you want as a full game and why?

Personally, as much as I would love to see a game by Tim Schafer and Pendleton Ward, I feel that Steed has the most potential. There have already been complaints that it sticks to an already beaten path and, yes, it does have a more familiar approach than the rest of the prototypes, but it also has the biggest opportunity to contain a lot more variety which would allow it to continue to feel fresh and new as the game developed. This isn't to say that I didn't enjoy the other Amnesia Fortnight games, each have their own wonderful charms that made them all fun to play and something that I would like to see developed further, I just feel as though Steed would result in the best full product.

Of the four games, Dear Leader had the most complete game experience. It's something you can easily play multiple times, especially if events are randomized and you have multiple ways of dealing with each event that pops up. (I'm still fuzzy on what the alternatives are when my ministers ask me to arrest a guy, etc.) The art is amazing, the sound is amazing, and it has a LOT of promise as a $15-$25 downloadable game. Could even work on mobile tablets, given the simple interface.

Mnemonic really, really impressed me with a very intriguing narrative that unfolded at a good pace. The art style was also quite excellent. I could also play this one if it was made until a full game, but I worry that it'd be a fairly short and unreplayable experience, one which would cost a LOT of money to develop. Given bang-for-buck from a game developer and game player perspective Dear Leader probably still wins.

Steed is... just sorta there. It's charming, it's nicely designed, but it's still just a basic 3D brawler game. LPBB is a complete mess, in a charming and wonderful way, but still a bit of a mess and would need serious rethinking and lots of development time before it's something playable.

Dear Leader. I feel out of the protos it's the one with the most potential and that can be produced into a full game that is fun to play and has a huge amount of replay value. It has all the right elements already. What it needs is only more meat to the bones. More edicts, more possibilities, conspiracies, foregin relations etc.

I also liked Mnemonic, but it also felt like there's a lot of thinking to be done with the controls and how the memories work. It's a solid proto, but not as complete package as Dear Leader is.

Dear Leader. I would pay a lot of money to see that happen. Interesting gameplay, awesome artstyle, replayability. I want that.

Dear Leader. I love the art style, and it's got some interesting concepts. As it is, it definitely needs more interesting gameplay mechanics to stay interesting for a full game though.

Steed, if they used the full game experience to focus their fullgame on some of the more unique gameplay elements of the pitch rather than going the traditional straight brawler route. The prototype could grow in either direction, and if it's just a horse going on narrative quests with the rider as an gimmick for a power up item (the analogue of picking up a pipe from the asphalt), I'm a bit less interested.

EDIT: The above notwithstanding, I really like Twoflower's idea about a mobile version of Dear Leader. It's the kind of game I would never buy for my sit-down laptop, but when I think of an on-the-go version for my tablet, the whole thing starts coming together more.

(facetious mode on)

But what would we use for in-app purchases?

(facetious mode off)

Dear Leader was fun to play but I'd have to put my hat in with Mnemonic because the puzzles were interesting (even if they don't number to 200... yet) and I'm really intrigued by what the full story could be.

The game I enjoyed the most was Mnemonic, but I voted for Dear Leader, since I think that's the game showing the most promise turing into a good full game.

Edit:

Honerstly if Dear Leader, Mnemonic and Steed were made into full games, I would buy all of those.

I think the concept of Best Buds was kinda played out in the prototype, but then I'm not really a huge fan of the humor.

LPBB for me! The prototype is a mess and the one that felt most incomplete of the bunch, but I think it got the idea across. I would love to see this space of possibilites explored a lot more, it's utterly unique!

Mnemonic was my favorite prototype, and it would be my second choice. I was really surprised by how much I liked it!

Can I vote for Black Lake? Don't get me wrong I enjoyed these prototypes but I'd still rather see Black Lake.

It's true, Black Lake should have priority over the prototypes from this year to be turned into a full game just by virtue of it being one of the best and most promising ones from last time around!

Tough choice between Mnemomic and Dear Leader. Dear leader is probably most likely to succeed, so I'll go with that. That said, I agree with the two before me: Black Lake first!

Although I voted for Mnemonic because I personally would prefer playing a full version of it over the others, I agree that Dear leader would most likely be more successful as a product. Ideally they would both be made as I'd gladly put money down on both.

It's difficult to choose just one, because I feel like this has been one of the Amnesia Fortnights with the most overall potential for future development. Personally, looking at the polls (and I'm not trying to discredit anyone's opinion in any way) but the votes seem to correlate with how complete of a gaming experience the prototype provided. I was really blown away by Mnemonic and Dear Leader, and they felt largely like completed games while playing them.

LPBB, on the other hand, felt like a prototype. That being said, while it was a less complete experience than mnemonic and Dear Leader, it is one that I would love to see given a full development cycle, because full functionality in a game of that scale would be impossible to present in 2 weeks.

If any of the prototypes continue into full development, I'll buy them in a heartbeat, but LPBB probably intrigues me the most.

Dear Leader and maybe Mnemonic.

Steed is the most marketable and easy to make, but I would never buy it because there are 10,000 games like it on the market.

I want to see all of them turn into full games just like I did last time, but, if I were to choose only one it would be Little Pink Best Buds. I think it's the weirdest out of all of them which is what I love and I really want to see where Pen would take it in terms of its story and I want to see how it would evolve with its interactivity.

But the main reason I want to see it turned into a full game is because there's probably never going to be an Adventure Time game made for the "hardcore" gaming crowd. The first game WayForward made was decent but it was very short and easy and there's a lot of iOS games that are pretty good but there's not much to them. So, if there can't be an Adventure Time game made for the traditional gaming crowd I'd like to see Pen make another game.

Dear Leader and maybe Mnemonic.

Steed is the most marketable and easy to make, but I would never buy it because there are 10,000 games like it on the market.

0_0 all those play as a horse games, right?

Dear Leader, without a doubt! I'd put 30 euro upfront (or whatever amount you'd want to charge for it) right now if they said they'd get started on completing it.

I could see myself putting hours into it and I definitely think it would fill a huge void, as there aren't any game out right now that is similar enough to scratch that "itch". The gameplay is incredibly fun, the idea is fan-freakin'-tastic and the graphics are phenomenal.

Releasing a game like this would also be a great opportunity to showcase that Double Fine is capable of a broader range, as this genre is something they haven't really done before. However, I would hate it to become a mobile game! That seem like such a huge waste of potential and I sincerely hope that if this game gets made it will be a real game.

Mnemonic is gorgeous as well and I'm a fan of that genre, but realistically I'd end up playing it once (like I do with all adventure games) and never touch it again - leaving me with less "bang for my buck". I know there are hardcore adventure game enthusiast that like playing these types of games over and over again though, so maybe I'm just odd.

Mnemonic, love the art style and a 3D point n click with bizarre dream-like logic is really interesting and I think appealing to the modern market.

That said I would gladly pay for Dear Leader and Steed.

Bad Golf 4! Bad Golf 4!

Mnemonic.

I'm a sucker for slick art direction. I got a slight Bioshock vibe while playing the prototype. At the end i wanted to see a little more of what this game could be.

Honorable mention: Make LPBB, cuz no one in their right mind could/should make this game besides Penn and Double Fine.

I would happily pay for all of them, but I voted Mnemonic. Really liked Dear Leader too.

LPBB, though, with all its flaws, is the most interesting game out of the bunch. Part of me would love to see it developed further, more so than any of the other prototypes.

If there was only one, it would have to be Dear Leader for me. I liked all of the prototypes but I feel like Dear Leader would be the most interesting if fully fleshed out with more than just the critical path.

I think Steed is adorable but not sure horse-as-a-hero could work in an action game; it's also not an easy game to make as it'd require a lot of resources, I'd imagine.

Other three games I can see DF making and, out of those, Dear Leader is most ready to be turned into a full game, perhaps with a small team like Spacebase DF-9. It seems that systems & writing is what would be the most time-consuming part. DL can also be ported to same platforms as Broke Age (no need to dumb it down for iOS version... not sure why that's a concern).

Mnemonic would probably need some help from Tim to het going but it's very intriguing and could be ported to consoles to give bigger audience (wish Gone Home was available on a console).

LPBB is hilarious and very ambitious. If they can make it without spending a whole lot, it could be a hit on Steam.

I actually didn't vote for any of these games during either round, but I was most pleasantly surprised by Mnemonic. The puzzle system was fun and the story left me wanting more. I would love to see the game really get fleshed out with Derek's art style and all the final polish added in for a really atmospheric experience. A very close second would be Steed. I enjoyed the world and was really impressed with how much I actually enjoyed fighting as a horse. I think the game could be hilarious when you add in some of John's additional elements and all the bumbling characters you could encounter and help. LPBB was kind of a mess. I was hoping to enjoy it more, and I enjoy Pen Ward's work, but there wasn't enough there for me to find myself wanting to play it more. I think this one was more fun to watch being made then actually playing. Lastly, Anna's team did a great job with Dear Leader, but this is just not my type of game.

Steed because it gives you a proven idea that you can change up enough to make it your own, but most importantly (to your company) it will sell... and sell well.

Dear Leader can sell well also, but probably best in the mobile arena.

Mnemonic is artsy, and cool, and creative, and unique, and all the things that don't sell well... ever. You might be able to get sales in the range of The Cave, but I think you'd be hard pressed to even pull that off. Maybe if you could swing a Bundled-In situation with the Oculus.

Black Lake. Of this year's prototypes, Mnemonic would be my choice, because it managed to wrap its story around the puzzle aspects extremely well and it has a rich world to explore (not only in terms of visual aesthetics but also in the hinted story). All of this year's prototypes were really good actually and they could all be great games, but I don't feel like I need to play more of any of them.

A full version of LPBB would be a thing of beauty, where the "full" version could just be the prototype with glitches patched, slightly better text recognition, and brains for all the buds and not just Big Leg. A special edition digitally remastered Little Pink Best Buds Prototype would be great, but I don't think a fuller game (that expands the story beyond the prototype) is ever going to happen.

Mnemonic is artsy, and cool, and creative, and unique, and all the things that don't sell well... ever.

Pff. Whatever. Cool games aren't dead.

Black Lake, please.

(Barring that, Little Pink Best Buds! It would be so much fun to play through the game with more comprehensive text recognition and all of the buds fleshed out.)

Dear Leader, because I'm a sucker for writing and branching story arcs.

That said, Mnemonic made a convincing case for itself.

Of course, I think Steed could branch out into a fine adventure, and Little Pink Best Buds could make a nice niche indie title too.

Sign in to follow this