Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheCommodore

What does it all mean? [Spoilers]

First of all spoilers. Seriously. And if you haven't seen the credits yet, you haven't finished the game. If you're stuck somewhere around the potato, try walking around. I didn't realize I had control the first time.

So, the wicked end is pretty neat. I really wasn't expecting the potato, or the smoking potato, or transporting to the potato, or potatoing around as the potato from the beginning. I haven't had much time to think about these questions, but they're definitely questions and I figured I'd put 'em out there to be discussed. Speculate away--there are no right answers unless you're Pen Ward, and even then it's a little iffy.

Why does Big Leg seem like the only normal bud? Would he turn vicious if you picked somebody else?

What's the deal with dead guy? Why is he dead?

Why is moosh-face ground bud in that hole? Big Leg said he buried him in the woods. Were there woods there at one point? Does Big Leg not know what woods are? Who was mouth hole to begin with? He probably had a cool feature or prop like the other buds. Is that feature why Big Leg killed him? Or was it an accident?

Who is the ski mask dude? Where'd the money come from? Why is his door barricaded shut? How did he drive a car out a hole in a skyscraper and end up in LPBB world (and what's the connection between the two? Are they different worlds or just places in the same world?)? And why does he see everything in black and white? Does it have something to do with the fact that Big Leg's favorite color is greyyy? Why does Big Leg spell it with 3 y's? What's ski mask doing with a picture of you and the cat? Why did he drop you off there and then come back? Why can't you be best friends with ski mask?

Also, if you haven't done it yet, take a trip through the .top files in the game data folder. It gives you some cool insight into what the buds can and can't talk about (I was blown away with the amount of stuff I just didn't say cause I didn't think they'd talk about it, this game is deeper than most people will notice). And it hints at what could happen in the future. Also, check out dead guy's files, there's a certain fossil that gets mentioned...

Anyway, I really hope this gets picked up into a full game somewhere down the line. Just talking to Big Leg about life was pretty cool, even when he didn't have specific responses. He's a good listener, man. Lots of cool stuff here, good story, love the style, top-notch programming, and pretty thought provoking. It's every reason why I support Double Fine all rolled together.

For the AF-supporters with macs, do you mind writing a summary of what actually happens in the ending? There are currently 2 Let's Plays of the game on youtube, but none of them make it to the true end, only the stabby end.

A shame you aren't able to experience it for yourself. A summary won't do it justice, I'm afraid! So I just recorded a video for you instead! It will take a few hours though to get it uploaded...

Edit: The ending cutscene is very stuttery in my recording, but since it's included with the game as a video file you can see it for yourself!

SPOILERS!!

So here are my thoughts on the ending. Again, do not read below until you get to see the end credits scene (non-stabby ending):

I knew the game was going to be dark since Pen said as much during the AF winning pitches, and they kept hinting at some secret "potato" during the development, so I had made a guess as to what the ending was going to be.

Oh man- awesome prototype so far! This has got to be made into a full game!

Also, I have a total guess at what the ending is. If I turn out to be right- well, I guess I'll be the only one who knows. If I'm wrong, I'm going to totally love the surprise! I like being surprised :) I'm sure I'll love it no matter what though!

What I can tell you is that what I was guessing was completely wrong!

My guess before the prototype was released:

I originally thought that the ending would have the Player trading places with whichever Best Bud he chooses. So if you as the Player chose Big Leg, the end would have the Player be transformed into a small Pink Bud with your trait being an enlarged big pointy finger (since that's all you did throughout the game!). Big Leg would then be "freed" and return to become a normal buddy. I guessed that the ending would show the Player (now as a Pink Bud) along with all the other non-picked Buds swarming after some newly delivered victim with everyone asking to be his Best Buddy. Before Big Leg escapes he might say something like, "Hey, I know it sucks, but.. you're a nice guy. I know somebody else will pick you!". So in effect the world is a form of Purgatory or Hell. The Pink Buds can only be freed and return to a normal existence once they get picked as a Best Buddy from someone new. As far as why you started off in someone's trunk.. I dunno, maybe - the deal with escaping is that once you are "freed" from being a Pink Bud, you have to bring back someone else to that world to pick a new pink best bud.

-----------------

Thanks for directing to those ChatScript files. It's really interesting seeing how much was planned and really shows what this prototype's potential could be if turned into a full game! I didn't see the fossil thing you were talking about for Dead Guy though I did see a tag for #pokemon stuff which has me curious. It did mention something about [possible spoiler for a future release]living in some kind of "dome" thingy and that "we" (the Pink Buds) are all "his" children. Intriguing. Whether "his" is referring to the Player, Ski Mask guy, or Ground Mouth is a mystery to me.[/potato]

-----------------

My thoughts on the Wicked Ending:

I actually really don't have a clue. I thought it was awesome! And creepy and funny! I guess I'll have to think through it a little bit more.

My tentative interpretation for now is that Ski Mask guy robbed a bank or something. While hiding out from the authorities, he invades some guy's apartment (the Player's) in some high-rise building (with a garage but no doors for some strange reason).

He takes the Player hostage and puts him into the Player's car trunk. The Player's cat is also put into the car as well. The Ski Mask guy gets in the car and prepares to drive out of the high-rise building in some last ditch stand-off attempt against the surrounding authorities.

Unbeknownst to the Ski Mask driver, the Player's car has some sort of dimensional teleportation device which is engaged once the car goes airborne out of the apartment.

The teleportation device transplants the car to the Pink Buds world. Ski Mask guy is totally bewildered, but is happy to have made his escape from the authorities. He dumps the Player out into the Pink Buds world.

I guess my theory (shaped by the ChatScript file for Dead Guy) is that the Pink Bud world are the Player's scientific creation. The Player created the Pink Buds like sea monkeys in a small aquarium (Like that episode from The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror VII: "The Genesis Tub")

Perhaps the Pink Bud's were created from the DNA and (unscientifically) the thoughts of the Player himself as well as people he knew. Perhaps the Player knows who Ski Mask guy is.

Anyways, trapped in the Player's own scientific creation, he has to figure a way out. The events transpire as they do in the game.

When the Player learns that Big Leg killed another Pink Bud, he figures that he can use the dead Pink Bud's psyche (Ground Mouth) to enter the mind of Ski Mask guy. (So perhaps Ski Mask guy is somehow related to Ground Mouth - maybe Ground Mouth's consciousness comes from Ski Mask guy?)

So Player enters into the psyche of Ski Mask guy where he then relives the last few moments before Ski Mask guy is about to drive the car out of the high-rise apartment. (the fact that it's B/W means its seen from Ski Mask guy's POV)

If you remember, Ski Mask guy teleports away in the intro. I think the Player now in Ski Mask guy's mind travels to that point in time (maybe the teleportation device is a time transporter as well). The Player in Ski Mask guy's mind sees himself (The Player) as he is bending over to inspect Ground Mouth.

At that point, by interacting with the Player's body- the minds are switched back. The Player is back in his own body and the Ski Mask guy in his. The Player uses that moment of confusion to get in the car, leaving Ski Mask guy to be overwhelmed by the angry Pink Buds.

The Player then drives away in the car, teleporting back into the real world where the car is still airborne from flying out of the high-rise.

The car crashes to the street, but the Player rolls out safely along with his cat.

The Wicked End.

TLDR; Anyways.. my totally illogical piecing together of the story that is..

Okay, my video playthrough is now online! It includes the wicked ending. You can watch it

!

A shame you aren't able to experience it for yourself. A summary won't do it justice, I'm afraid! So I just recorded a video for you instead! It will take a few hours though to get it uploaded...

Edit: The ending cutscene is very stuttery in my recording, but since it's included with the game as a video file you can see it for yourself!

Thanks man! What intrigues me the most is that the narrative in the prototype doesn't even touch upon the purpose of the friendship, the house or the actual world at all. Really hope Pen gets to work more on this in the future!

living in some kind of "dome" thingy and that "we" (the Pink Buds) are all "his" children. Intriguing. Whether "his" is referring to the Player, Ski Mask guy, or Ground Mouth is a mystery to me.[/potato]

Oh, that's the fossil thing I was talking about. Long story, but there was a public-input game of pokemon played on twitch, which led to a lot of jokes based around the playing of that game. Dome and Helix are two fossils, since helix fossil is high in the inventory it got randomly selected a lot, so a kind of joke "religion" got formed to explain why they were consulting it all the time. I'm not a big pokemon fan, but I love watching weird patterns create culture, so I watched my fair share of that stream.

So probably not a lot to read into dead guy's files. Except that they exist in the first place. If he were just going to be dead and un-buddy-able through the game, I would think they'd just write in one group of responses for everything. Dunno how the setup works for programming segments of the game, but he has the same core "acts" as everyone else, so that could hint that he might be fleshed out in some way eventually. I wanted to be buddies with dead guy--he could really use a friend.

Okay, my video playthrough is now online! It includes the wicked ending. You can watch it
!

Cheers for doing that! I'm a Mac user as well, and not being able to find out about the potatoes was killing me.

So yeah... wow. Truly bizarre ending.

Did LPBB remind anyone else of this:

inside-the-moon_zps9d287136.png

It's from Zelda: Majora's Mask (back in the day on the N64)

For me- as soon as I saw the grassy hill with all the pink buds on it during the AF videos, I thought of it:

Glide64_ZELDA_MAJORAS_MASK_46_zps33fc4815.png

"None of the other kids will play with me."

Sound familiar?

Anyways, if you've never played Zelda: Majora's Mask - definitely try it out. It's one of my most favorite console games ever. Also, probably one with the most "computer adventure game" elements to it.

For those that have played it- check out this cool revelation I found regarding Majora's Mask: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24940828&postcount=6839

Again, there's some possible eerie similarities with LPBB - ie. playing on a face..

--------------

So after thinking about it a lot, I have to some new theories about what the ending to LPBB meant.

Again, MEGA-SPOILERS below! Please don't read until you've played the game. If you don't have Windows, try out WINE as mentioned in above posts.

1. I think sweater guy (the Player) is the real person in the real world and the entire Pink Best Bud world exists only inside the Player's mind. Each Pink Best Bud represents different aspects of either the Player's personality or memories. Usually, the Player has all of the Pink Buds kept safely under his control in his mind.

2. Ski mask guy was once a Pink Bud "trapped" inside the Player's mind. Somehow he discovered a way to get out into the real world and takeover the Player's mind.

3. I think Ski Mask Bud was somehow involved with the guy that Big Leg killed. I think Ski Mask guy purposefully tricked Big Leg into walking over another Pink Bud's body crushing his head. Whether this killed Pink Bud was Dead Guy or not is a mystery (since Big Leg said he buried the guy in the woods).

4. Somehow when Big Leg killed the other Pink Bud by accident, it opened up Ground Mouth which is the portal between the Pink Bud's world and the Player's mind. Not sure if Ground Mouth IS the Pink Bud that was killed or just represents the Player's psyche- maybe his sense of guilt or conscience. In either case, I think Ski Mask Bud planned all this so he could enter the Player's mind and take control of it.

5. Once Ski Mask guy entered the Player's mind and took control of it in the real world, he went on a wild crime spree like robbing banks- enjoying his new found sense of freedom.

6. However, I think the mind control situation was only temporary. Each time the Player would go to sleep, Ski Mask guy would take over and would be up to no good. When the Player "awoke" he would find himself recovering from bad situations (like in a boarded up apartment with lots of stolen money). Ski Mask Bud knew he would have to get rid of the Player somehow in order to make the switch permanent.

7. So Ski Mask Bud comes up with a plan. While he is in control of the Player after one of his robberies, he locks himself inside of a car trunk. Ski Mask guy in control of the Player then went to sleep which usually switches both of them back to the respective worlds. However, since it is Ski Mask guy who went to sleep in the Player's body, this somehow transports them both along with the car to Pink Bud World (inside the Player's mind).

8. They both travel to the Best Bud world, and Ski Mask guy opens the trunk, throws out the Player, and leaves him trapped inside his own Pink Bud world. Then Ski Mask guy takes the car and returns back to the real world. The Player is a prisoner in his own Pink Bud world.

9. The events in the game progress, with the Player facing his own personal demons (the Pink Buds) each demanding his fullest attention. The Player figures out though that he is the Master of his own creations- he assuages Ground Mouth (his sense of guilt for the crimes that Ski Mask Bud has committed and accepts his lack of control of what happened.)

10. Now the ending gets a little complicated. We know that the Player travels through Ground Mouth into the eyes of Ski Mask guy, but there is a extra layer of nesting (sort of Inception-esque). Here is how to visualize the situation:

A. Ski Mask Guy is in control of the Player's body in the real world

B. The Player is still in Pink Bud world seeing the real world through Ski Mask Guy who has control of the Player's body in the real world

11. In the game, the Player then controls Ski Mask guy/Player's real body to get into the car and drive out of the building. Somehow, perhaps the death from crashing the car transports Ski Mask guy back into Pink Bud world.

12. Now both Ski Mask Guy and the Player are both in Pink Bud world. Through the Ski Mask players eyes you can still see yourself (the Player) bending over Ground Mouth controlling the body. Presumably, Ski Mask guy is unconscious/dreaming during all this. Also, now Ski Mask guy back in the Pink Bud world appears to look human rather than like a Pink Bud because he is now "real" from having lived in the real world since he took control of the body.

13. The Player uses this time with Ski Mask guy's mind in limbo, to get into the car and flees away while the other Pink Buds tear Ski Mask guy apart.

14. Here there's a bit of suspension of disbelief for an already awesomely-crazy story: since no one is in control of the real world body anymore, I guess it somehow defaults back to the Player. This transports the Player back into the real world completely unharmed. So somehow during the switch- it was Ski Mask guy's body that died in the car crash (and transported him back to Pink Bud world), while the Player's body was protected (since he was in Pink Bud's world). The point is, the Player's body was not harmed during the crash so he escapes fine. The Player's cat (who was not in the car) just happens to jump into the Player's arms at the end, licking him- indicating the cat knows it is the real Player now, and not Ski Mask guy in control of it. That's what the Player means when he says, "We Won!".

-----------------

Pretty cool, eh?

One other thing LPBB reminds me of is the movie Being John Malkovich

Sign in to follow this