Sign in to follow this  
modernevil

Apple Magic Mouse - impossible to play?

I play games which require Windows (such as all the prototypes) via BootCamp on my iMac; runs great, no trouble, but: I only have Apple mice, which do not have discrete buttons and scroll wheels, just a trackpad-type smooth surface that interprets what my fingers mean. As such, I can left click, right click, or scroll, but only one of those things at a time.

So: Does this mean it's impossible for me to play Mnemonic without buying another mouse? It seemed like I couldn't even "Examine" something unless I could simultaneously click both the left and right buttons. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

It would be sad if I couldn't play. :(

The inventory can be accessed with number keys, so the lack of scroll wheel isn't a problem, but you do need to be able to do a simultaneous right and left click to examine and pick up objects. I think the team should map 'f' to focus.

Edit: Google suggests MagicPrefs (free) might be able to help you out.

Or even make focus a toggle.

Alas, I also can't get my PS3 controllers working on the Windows side; MotionInJoy actually disconnects my keyboard and mouse to enable the controller to work. (On OSX, the controller works without a hitch or even my having had to install a driver.) I've spent the last hour looking for a functional workaround for the controller.

Also: MagicPrefs is actually for OSX, not Win7, so does nothing for the AF prototypes, which are all Windows-only. But thanks for 'googling that for me'. ;)

I guess I don't get to play, at all. :(

Also: MagicPrefs is actually for OSX, not Win7, so does nothing for the AF prototypes, which are all Windows-only. But thanks for 'googling that for me'. ;)

Ohhh, bummer. I'm sure there is a way to do it in Windows as well, you could probably use AutoHotKey (also free) to get a right click, but at this point maybe you should just hope that the team puts in that toggle/key.

Motioninjoy is a horrible, hacky mess. Try this instead. Just make sure you fully get rid of motioninjoy first as it can mess up other drivers.

Yeah, the SCP-DS3 drivers are awesome for the PS3 controller on Win and MotionInJoy is only better than them in two cases, and that is if you want to switch it to old DirectInput mode for old games and newer games that aren't supporting XBOX 360 controllers; and if you want the tilt and motion sensors and analogue face button in a Sixaxis Dualshock 3 to work. But then nearly no games support PS3 controller input directly (and thus don't expect tilt, motion and analogue face button input), and nearly all recent games with gamepad support have XBOX controller support, which SCP-DS3 mimics (and MotionInJoy too, in one of it's modes). I have had trouble getting Bluetooth connectivity to work with my DS3 controller with SCP-DS3 though, and that worked with MotionInJoy.

And MotionInJoy removal can be a bit tricky. Especially geting the Bluetooth driver out of there and the original driver reinstated after removal of MotionInJoy.

Sign in to follow this