Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Graffiti Man

Costume Quest 2!!

I was kinda worried about how Tasha Harris would feel about DF making a Costume Quest 2, seeing as she was the project leader on CQ1 and she is no longer with the company. But I just saw that she tweeted about it and seemed pretty pumped, too.

I was kinda worried about how Tasha Harris would feel about DF making a Costume Quest 2, seeing as she was the project leader on CQ1 and she is no longer with the company. But I just saw that she tweeted about it and seemed pretty pumped, too.

That's good to hear. Wasn't she at Pixar by the time Grubbins on Ice was made too though?

Man, Double Fine is really rocking it these days!

I'm still riding my AF2014 high, but man, CQ2 has me excited!

The first one was so cute and charming... Can't wait for the sequel!

Soooo.... was this the supersecret unannounced game DF had cooking in the backroom,

or is there something else lurking in the shadows? :-)

Really excited! I loved the first one, despite of its flaws. I hope they take full advantage of its potential and make it deeper and bigger.

I'll try to go for a first day purchase.

Edit:

By the way, who's gonna get kidnapped this time? Everett? xD

Soooo.... was this the supersecret unannounced game DF had cooking in the backroom,

or is there something else lurking in the shadows? :-)

I seem to remember about a dozen DFers saying that they were working on unannounced projects during the initial AF standups. I would guess that this is not the only thing they've been working on "in secret".

This is awesome!

I'll admit, I'm one of those awful OCD people who are really bothered by cliffhanger endings. The Grubbins on Ice DLC has been plaguing my mind since I first played it.

Well, what projects do we know about? They have 3 people on Spacebase and average of what, 15, on BA? There's an unknown number of people on Hack'n'Slash and I don't recall if the number of people on Massive Chalice has been stated. Still, as I figure, there's got to be either one really large project more (which would then be Costume Quest 2) or several slightly smaller.

So Midnight City are the publishers right? A sub-division of Majesco?

Cause before now I had never heard of them.

It's looks like they helped publish Gone Home, Slender: The Arrival, and Double Dragon: Neon.

They are a publisher of Indie Games. I can't find anything showing them being a division of anyone else, so I would assume it's private venture capital (or even loans) for funding. Edit - Oops, looks like they are owned by Majesco, they just don't talk about it. They let those they publish for keep full ownership (a plus) and hopefully actually let the developer get paid at some point (a rarity in publishing these days).

I'm guessing, then, that Majesco/Midnight City is funding development. I'm curious why DoubleFine made this arrangement with an outside publisher for in-house IP. Presumably DoubleFine couldn't fund the development by itself. So why not have another Kickstarter? Did DF not think a Kickstarter would be successful for some reason? There is at least one example of a game company (inXile) launching a second KS before the release of the product from a previous KS. Although, I suppose DF already did that with Massive Chalice, and there's a limit to how many books you can check out at the library, even if self-imposed.

Edit: Hmm, I discovered a kind of non-answer answer over at Polygon:

When asked why Double Fine partnered with Midnight City, Schafer gave an answer similar to Fullbright's Gaynor.

"We've changed our relationship with publishers," Schafer told Polygon. "They used to be our sole source of income. Now that we've been self-publishing, we can kind of pick and choose who we work with and work with publishers that have similar goals that we have. They have the same kind of mission and believe in the same kind of things we believe in."

Working with Midnight City allows Double Fine to concentrate on making the game. It's like "an equal partnership," Schafer said, as opposed to how some other, larger publishers work.

"Some publishers are big companies, and they have a way of doing things, and you have to kind of adapt to their way of doing things," he said. "I think Casey and his group wants Double Fine to do things the Double Fine way, and they know that will lead to the best game. That's what I mean by not being heavy-handed. They don't want to come and tell us how to make games. Definitely with larger companies, they have had success doing things a certain way and they kind of want you to adapt to that."

So, they sound like good people to work with, at least. (Or at least you have to say so when you've just made a business deal with them…)

I'm guessing, then, that Majesco/Midnight City is funding development. I'm curious why DoubleFine made this arrangement with an outside publisher for in-house IP. Presumably DoubleFine couldn't fund the development by itself. So why not have another Kickstarter? Did DF not think a Kickstarter would be successful for some reason?
I think it's a combination of several things.

The money needed is high amount for a Kickstarter goal, and such a large ask could turn people away.

There is kickstarter fatigue (for both DF fans and in general) that would still lead to them [us] backing, but not at the same amounts until our wallets recover. The last two years have had a lot of high profile game kickstarters that have left a lot of us having to go with lower pledged.

There are existing fans of Costume Quest on consoles, so they want to put it out there (where self publishing is nearly impossible).

No matter how much you get on kickstarter, you need more (because the game is based on the amount you get, but the plans of mice and men....) With a publisher, they expect you to not have enough money and planned for it in the initial amount they gave you, with the real budget being kicked in as you complete milestones.

Most importantly, a publisher is only a bad thing if the deal with them sucks. Kickstarter has opened the door to self publishing, which in turn means publishers are going to be offering better deals. Also, as an indie focused publisher, they have gotten used to (and thus plan for) the kinds of things indies want in their publishing deals; like keeping the IP (which they do standard).

I played through the game for the first time late in 2012 during a Hurricane, and absolutely loved it. I completed it, along with the DLC, and 100%'d everything. I cannot wait for the sequel.

HEY GUYS! Man this is very exciting to finally talk about it!

Even though I can't talk about much other than WE'RE MAKING COSTUME QUEST 2!!!!!!!!!!!

Which I guess is still very exciting.

That's good to hear. Wasn't she at Pixar by the time Grubbins on Ice was made too though?

I'm not sure on the exact timing, but Gabe Miller was on CQ1 and Grubbins the whole time, and Tasha likes the direction he's sent us on for the new one! So yeah! No ill will there.

I'm guessing, then, that Majesco/Midnight City is funding development. I'm curious why DoubleFine made this arrangement with an outside publisher for in-house IP. Presumably DoubleFine couldn't fund the development by itself. So why not have another Kickstarter? Did DF not think a Kickstarter would be successful for some reason?

The money needed is high amount for a Kickstarter goal, and such a large ask could turn people away.

There is kickstarter fatigue (for both DF fans and in general) that would still lead to them [us] backing, but not at the same amounts until our wallets recover. The last two years have had a lot of high profile game kickstarters that have left a lot of us having to go with lower pledged.

There are existing fans of Costume Quest on consoles, so they want to put it out there (where self publishing is nearly impossible).

No matter how much you get on kickstarter, you need more (because the game is based on the amount you get, but the plans of mice and men....) With a publisher, they expect you to not have enough money and planned for it in the initial amount they gave you, with the real budget being kicked in as you complete milestones.

Most importantly, a publisher is only a bad thing if the deal with them sucks. Kickstarter has opened the door to self publishing, which in turn means publishers are going to be offering better deals. Also, as an indie focused publisher, they have gotten used to (and thus plan for) the kinds of things indies want in their publishing deals; like keeping the IP (which they do standard).

Guys didn't you see the announce movie? That was exactly how the meeting went! That was documentary non-fiction film!

[…]

Thanks for your thoughts! I've found the "process stuff" to be the most interesting part of Kickstarters and public projects in general.

Confession: Until today's announcement, I had never played Costume Quest. Figuring it must be good if it's worthy of a sequel, I've now visited Steam to amend this. It is wonderfully designed and fun, if a little too easy, gameplay-wise. I wonder how similar CQ2 will be in appearance. Announcements are supposed to be accompanied by artwork! (Right?!)

Sweet! I'm very interested to see how this turns out. My biggest hopes for it, in light of the first game, would be greater depth of RPG gameplay elements (including quest variety, and opportunities for exploration and non-linear progression) and voice acting. CQ had a lot to love, but I yearned for a greater sense of open-endedness (how ever illusory it may be) and discovery.. the feeling of being a small kid in a big world full of unknowns and possibility. But hey, maybe that's not what this project is about, and I'll be no less interested to check it out. I just can't help but be tantalized thinking about what Double Fine could do with the RPG genre.

There's a GOLD MINE of ideas here. Hands down, my favorite is First Person Bus Ride!!! HAHAHA!

GOOOOO CQ2!

ideas.jpg

ideas.jpg.aa2d07fc9db3330baf5a8fe7052ec8

Great news, but I hope they'll add more gameplay variety as combat quickly became repetitive in the first one.

Here's hoping the combat is a huge improvement. Apart from the final boss you could beat CQ but mindlessly pressing the standard attack button.

I liked the first one, but by the end I grew weary of the repetitive combat. I hope the sequel will manage to introduce some much needed variety into the combat system, the need for some tough tactical decision making would be appreciated. I'm looking forward to it! :)

Good to know it, Gabe. Are you the project leader this time? :)

Like previous posters, I hope the new game will have a more complex and difficult combat, more quests (more dialogues and options!) and more variety (not just combat all time). First was really charming and beautiful but a bit shallow and repetitive. I'm sure the next will be better! :)

Awesome! I finally have an instabuy for 2014!

I love CQ. It is one of my favorite games of the last few years, and I've have been hoping it gets a sequel. Can't wait!

Side note - I'm really happy that my first post ever on the DFAF gets to be about CQ2 :)

Sign in to follow this