Sign in to follow this  
ok reza

what do you want to see changed, added, or improved with costume quest 2 ?

How many double fine games are co op? Iron Brigade? I think that's it.

The Cave, too.

Oh yea, I was just playing the cave too! Haha

Brutal Legend too...

Is BL co-op!? I thought it was just versus...?

I like the combat set up...where pressing 'x' or 'a' at the right moment gets a critical...it makes turn based combat interactive and i have never played a turn based rpg that did that before. I stopped playing them altogether before I played costume quest due to how boring it was to play turn based rpg's, actually. I do wish there was a progressive skill tree for characters for buffing stats w/ possible nerfs to other aspects to force the player to choose a leveling path to suite their tastes...like having a lot of health, but being weak towards a certain type of monster...or doing a lot of damage but other teammates may not want to cooperate with you in a battle. Could do team attack moves to go with this idea. I love grinding characters to level up. Getting to level 20 in Iron Brigade was gratifying...and getting that white tuxedo felt like an accomplishment. I'd like it to be necessary to farm areas for candy & xp to level up to survive battles later on with bonuses rewarded when you win a battle where the enemy stats are much higher than yours. Monies should be candy still...I wish it was in real life. If I get to see aliens and zombies involved in the storyline, I will be joyed. Split-screen co-op would be nice, but not mandatory. If these ideas could be displayed in a simple to understand format, that'd be sweet. You could feel comfortable letting a 6 year old play costume quest without worrying about warping their personality that is still in development and yet it was a very entertaining game...I hope the sequel keeps that notion.

Words.

Go play Dragon Quest IX.

Hey! I loved Dragon Quest VIII and would LOVE to play DQIX. Unfortunately, I lack the platform it runs on. I say unfortunately in the most genuine way, because I just went and read about the way it utilizes multiplayer and it... huh... it doesn't sound terrible.

MdA2kWA.png

I definitely still feel a little "I'd have to try it and see what I think" about it, but I can honestly say that it is the least terrible sounding version of turn-based co-op I've heard yet.

Here are the main things I hate about the idea of co-op in a turn-based RPG.

1. Only one player gets to control where the party goes. (DQIX seems to address this. Nice.)

2. Only one player gets to decide if/when a battle starts (DQIX seems to address this. Nice.)

3. One player is the definite leader and the other players are reduced to being more like Player One's bodyguards. (DQIX alleviates this with the above two solutions, but still does not quite appear to overcome it.)

Thanks for the rec, even though I can't take you up on it. Cheers, mate.

3. One player is the definite leader and the other players are reduced to being more like Player One's bodyguards. (DQIX alleviates this with the above two solutions, but still does not quite appear to overcome it.)

I mean, you can say this about EVERY co-op game. Somebody is always going to be player 1.

I enjoy co-op games more than single player games not necessarily because of the mechanics, but because you've got somebody there with you playing it. It's more fun to play with others, even if one person doesn't have much control.

Running around the neighborhood with your buddies sounds fun to me.

I mean, you can say this about EVERY co-op game. Somebody is always going to be player 1.

I enjoy co-op games more than single player games not necessarily because of the mechanics, but because you've got somebody there with you playing it. It's more fun to play with others, even if one person doesn't have much control.

Running around the neighborhood with your buddies sounds fun to me.

Well somebody always HOSTS, that much is true, but that's not quite the same thing. I mean, if I host a game of Torchlight, then all my friends come into my world. But once they get there, I don't control them, and they're not required to follow me everywhere or do exactly as I say or only what I want to do. I merely let them in. We stick together because we WANT to, not because we are shackled together.

The opposite and less desirable situation I'm imagining is a form of co-op where player 2 joins a game that player 1 is hosting and player 1 controls the single character on the field (player 2 doesn't have one or their character automatically follows player one). Co-op battle amounts to player 2 taking their turn when it comes to them, but that's it. Player one has field control, so P1 determines if/when a battle happens, etc. Also it's game over if P1 dies but not P2. You see what I'm getting at? If co-op requires anyone who isn't P1 to get severely subjugated, then I'd rather skip it. But if things remain closer to equal (even if not perfectly so), then that's cool. Know what I mean?

DQIX sounds like it tried to avoid the latter situation and create more of a Torchlight type of situation, and yet it's turn based and not real-time. That sounds like a pretty good way to go with it, and I wish I could see how it actually worked firsthand.

If it all worked out nice, I suppose I'd be fine if CQ2 did something like that.

As far as content and features are concerned, I just want more of the same, because, let's be honest here, the original Costume Quest is already a winning formula.

However, the game could stand to be longer.

As far as content and features are concerned, I just want more of the same, because, let's be honest here, the original Costume Quest is already a winning formula.

However, the game could stand to be longer.

Yes, the game was rather short. It only took a couple sessions of 2 hours of playing...the DLC was the same....twas good while it lasted.

I've actually just started playing the first one. I know the first didn't have a huge budget, so my wishlist for CQ2 isn't a knock against CQ1, but just what I'd like to see.

1) More variety in the town/houses. I often felt lost navigating the town because everything looked the same.

2) Voice acting. I know some don't want this, but it would make it a lot easier for my son to play and its something DF is really good at.

3) If not voice acting, then make all dialog require an action button before it continues. I couldn't read some of the dialog fast enough when my son was watching me play.

That's all I got so far with my 2 hours of play of CQ1. All in all, I really hope that DF has a bigger budget for this one. I'd love to see a bigger and more polished game. Again, that's not a knock on Costume Quest. I'm enjoying it -- I just see a lot of potential for more.

I've actually just started playing the first one. I know the first didn't have a huge budget, so my wishlist for CQ2 isn't a knock against CQ1, but just what I'd like to see.

1) More variety in the town/houses. I often felt lost navigating the town because everything looked the same.

2) Voice acting. I know some don't want this, but it would make it a lot easier for my son to play and its something DF is really good at.

3) If not voice acting, then make all dialog require an action button before it continues. I couldn't read some of the dialog fast enough when my son was watching me play.

That's all I got so far with my 2 hours of play of CQ1. All in all, I really hope that DF has a bigger budget for this one. I'd love to see a bigger and more polished game. Again, that's not a knock on Costume Quest. I'm enjoying it -- I just see a lot of potential for more.

I definitely agree with #3, and that's something that should be patched into CQ1.

#1 could probably be explained if the first area was one of those cookie-cutter neighborhoods built in the 1950s/1960s.

#2 I could live without, but if it's present, I think players should have the option of turning it off to be more like CQ1.

My only problem with CQ was a lack of "battle strategy." I generally did the same routine things each time, and if my guys were strong enough, they would win.

I think it would be an improvement if I had to use totally different strategies against different kinds of enemies (or against different combinations of enemies).

I think that's not easy to implement, but it would be a good goal.

My only problem with CQ was a lack of "battle strategy." I generally did the same routine things each time, and if my guys were strong enough, they would win.

I think it would be an improvement if I had to use totally different strategies against different kinds of enemies (or against different combinations of enemies).

Good point. I did the same. My strategy was first 2 guys were attackers (generally Robot, Space Man) and 3rd was a healer (i.e. Unicorn). Then I would just usually use my basic attacks until my special attacks were available -- and heal anyone who had gotten too beaten down.

I did have to make some adjustments to battle cards or costumes on occasion -- like the end boss fight where I invested heavily in defense.

Good point. I did the same. My strategy was first 2 guys were attackers (generally Robot, Space Man) and 3rd was a healer (i.e. Unicorn). Then I would just usually use my basic attacks until my special attacks were available -- and heal anyone who had gotten too beaten down.

I did have to make some adjustments to battle cards or costumes on occasion -- like the end boss fight where I invested heavily in defense.

Agreed, throughout most of the game I used the Giant Robot, Space Man, and Statue of Liberty, later upgrading to the Giant Robot, Ghost Pirate, and Unicorn. I would attack and AoE with the first two, while the support character would use the Toilet Paper (battle stamp) to "stun" the heavy hitter. Once you acquire 2-ply TP though you kill one enemy, stun another (2 rounds) and avoid a single attack. Then you just alternate the 2-ply TP between the two targets and they never get a chance to attack again.

Only the final battle forced me to rethink my strategy, as I opted for Vampire, Ninja, and Unicorn. I had the No-Eyes Bat (strong regen/heal) and Headless Banshee for an emergency. Then I kept hiding the weakest hero with the Ninja, while the Vampire and Unicorn healed everyone with their powers.

Overall it would have been more interesting if there was more to the costumes, maybe enemies that are weak to certain costumes and strong against attacks from others, forcing us to switch and try other costumes in different areas of the game. Also once I had my "strategy" down I hardly ever veered from it. It would be great if there was more to battles than just standing toe-to-toe. For example, who here has heard of the horror RPG "Darkest Dungeon"? They use a line mechanic where you have a front, middle, and back positions. As you can guess, those placed in the rear take less damage and can only be reached by ranged attacks, but the order also determines what actions/skills the heroes can take. If a hero with a ranged attack is in the back they can attack with their ranged weapon, but if they're in the front row they can't. Even more, they can perform a deadly attack from the front row, but due to a low defense using this attack strategy exposes them to the risk of being badly injured during the enemy's retaliation. Maybe CQ2 could have something similar, maybe with a front and back row?

Also, some powers seemed to be too short-lived, like the Knight's defense-up. The Ninja trumped the Knight anyway, IMHO. Now if the Knight's power effect lasted 2-3 turns that would have been more useful.

It would have also been interesting if you could have had more than just one battle stamp equipped per character. Also, borrowing from The Binding of Isaac, maybe combining 2-3 battle stickers together could create combo effects for more variety. They could have multiple battle stickers be added to the level-up system.

Lastly, while finding new costumes throughout the game was great... I still can't help but think that it would have been better to have most or all of the costumes by the mid-point so you could actually play them all. Just a thought. I know unlocking costumes was part of the game's charm after all. Although I hardly had much of a chance to try Black Cat... and by that point in the game I had already decided what costumes I was using and dismissed it.

I liked how costumes had special abilities, like the speed skates for the Giant Robot. However in most cases I only switched to those costumes for that one effect and then switched back, which was sort of tedious. Only the Giant Robot and the skates was the power that had a common use. It would have been great if all the costumes had abilities that could be used to a practical degree outside combat, and more than just the rare case. Just a thought.

This prolly wouldn't fit into the story....so make this a DLC type thing. Quasi-Survival mode w/ leaderboard ranking. There could be a candy mountain and theres a nearly endless trail to get through to get to the sugary peak. It'd give hella replay value in the long run. There could be a giant goblin chasing you, so you can't turn back when between fights once you start the game and you can pause to go into inventory to switch costumes. The DLC could reward you w/ stuff after getting so far up the trail or however many battles, like in Iron Brigade's survival wave completion rewarding. If DoubleFine REALLY wanted to make this worth paying for, make it co-op optional where you control one character in co-op and gotta squad up w/ ppl. I know CQ2 doesn't exist yet, but it'll prolly induce a feeling of wonder and joy until its finished. If I had a 'purpose' in CQ for replay I'd do so. I think this would be a nice thing to be able to do.

I'd really like for them to change the percentage of times a monster appears when you trick or treat. In the first game there was a monster when the door opened, for what felt like 80-90% percent of the time. I'd like it to be only about 20-25 % of the time a monster would appear, but then maybe make those monsters a little harder, that way your always a little scared of running in to a monster, but it's more exciting if it only happens once in a while and not constantly like in the first game.

I'd really like voice acting to be added to the game.

More stuff to explore around the world, more secret items and costumes and more games and events like bobbing for apples.

New areas like, a graveyard, a pumpkin patch, a haunted house, a creepy forrest, a big indoor halloween party.

New costumes like: werewolf, mummy, frankenstein's monster, witch, skelleton, grim reaper, ghost, octopus/kraken, zombie, jason type costume (friday the 13th) and bring back the pumpkin costume.

One more idea.

It would be cool if you got harassed by some bullies during the course of the game that want to steal your candy and costumes. They would have really aweful costumes themselves, really simply made like stocking masks, sheets, plastic bags, cartboard boxes and such. Even their imaginary version (battle mode version) of their costumes are really lame. You would face off against them like the monsters, but they would fight a little different from the monsters. Then maybe once or twice you would face off against a boss bully who has a great costume and if you beat him/her you win their costume.

I'd really like for them to change the percentage of times a monster appears when you trick or treat. In the first game there was a monster when the door opened, for what felt like 80-90% percent of the time. I'd like it to be only about 20-25 % of the time a monster would appear, but then maybe make those monsters a little harder, that way your always a little scared of running in to a monster, but it's more exciting if it only happens once in a while and not constantly like in the first game.

I got the impression that it was almost exactly every other time, but I might remember that wrong.

One more idea.

It would be cool if you got harassed by some bullies during the course of the game that want to steal your candy and costumes. They would have really aweful costumes themselves, really simply made like stocking masks, sheets, plastic bags, cartboard boxes and such. Even their imaginary version (battle mode version) of their costumes are really lame. You would face off against them like the monsters, but they would fight a little different from the monsters. Then maybe once or twice you would face off against a boss bully who has a great costume and if you beat him/her you win their costume.

That's a neat idea. Something like that would be pretty cool.

I got the impression that it was almost exactly every other time, but I might remember that wrong.

One more idea.

You might be right about that. To me it just felt like there was a monster behind the door way too often and it got really repetitive, especially in the beginning when you were always fighting the same type of monster and you only had a couple of costumes. It made it feel like you were fighting the same battle over and over.

Easter eggs out the yin yang .. exploration kinda free roam more deeper,Alot of sides quest. Some form of loot would be great, collector bonus costumes to pay homage to older kick a** movies ^-^. Randomized dungeons to boost reply ability. Deeper skill tree that affects character in and out of combat