Sign in to follow this  
ok reza

what do you want to see changed, added, or improved with costume quest 2 ?

i was surprised to hear the announcement of cq2 as i had just beat the first one earlier this weekend. i wanted to have a place where people could throw some suggestions to things they want to see improved/changed for the sequel. i've seen a lot of people say combat, but have a little think and throw some potential solutions !

- turning animation: this was one of the things i dreaded the most. if you were facing right and wanted to start moving left, your character would have to rotate 180 degrees before beginning to move. for how petty that sounds, it really made the game feel so much more sluggish to me. walking/skating should feel fun no matter what! you do it for the majority of the game, so i hope to see some nice quick/responsive animated solutions this time around.

- platforming: to add the previous point, maybe being able to trigger jumps, rolls, and the like could add some fun platforming aspect to the game. this stuff could also just be attributed to certain costumes rather than consistent for every costume.

- combat variety: i liked how the quicktime events kept you relatively engaged, i just didn't know why each costume would stick to the same type of QTE, it should have all been random so you reaaally had to stay on your toes. i think if qte's are going to be just as present in the sequel, there should be tons of variety with how they could work and not be costume specific.

- more moves: i would love to see more rpg elements for the costumes combat. things like gaining new moves after reaching higher levels, choosing what your level up improves (focusing on health gain, strength gain, agility gain, etc.) and things like that

- camera combat angles: this was another jarring thing i noticed during combat. generally before you attacked, the camera would be positioned above and behind all three characters of your party. sometimes, however, (generally for the last character's turn) the camera angle would change to a more profile view that was lower to the ground, it always felt disorienting to me, rather than a new refreshing view of the battle.

so yeah, just a few to start it off. feel free to post things that you really liked about the first game that you'd like to continue to see in the sequel.

I think the turn based combat should be gutted entirely. I feel the complexity and depth needed to make turn based combat enjoyable is not exactly in the vein of what costume quest is, and a well fleshed out turn based experience I think would upset the pacing of the game. Several suggestions as to what to replace it with: Entering combat with and it switching to a mode like street fighter vs capcom would be cool. You could tag in/out with the other party members, and have really flashy moves. Also, I think a system that is implemented in the Tales series would be good to. I would be ok with drastically reducing the amount of combat as well, and having each fight be more of a puzzle with multiple solutions.

Voice acting!

I just want to say I'm against voice acting, though I would like a way to be able to make dialogue go faster in the cut scenes.

Although, now that I think about it, this game is 7 months from completion, so it isn't going to be your standard provide feedback to build a better game that you get from kickstarter I think.

Hmm, i can't remember the game precisely anymore but a few things spring to my mind:

- Working and satisfying controls, somehow DF enjoys screwing up this part and it takes them ages (sometimes ∞) to fix.

- A little bit more variety with the scenes. If i remember things correctly the DLC was a little bit too monotone.

- More puzzles, contrary to the DFA they don't need to be challenging, only entertaining and somehow creative/good enough.

- The combats/costumes weren't always balanced this well. Except a few fights you could all win them by going through a standard procedure with the same costumes but then again this was quite relaxing.

- I think from a certain point on i always skipped the door scene, felt superfluous and cumbersome.

- I didn't like the style of some costumes.

- No regional pricing crap.

- There were some text issues.

Dunno, you need to replay the game to give proper feedback and you certainly could add and change this and that and make it more awesome here and there but then again Costume Quest also was fine just the way it was. So, just more of it would be nice already. Costume Quest, The Cave and Psychonauts are the top 3 DF games.

I think the turn based combat should be gutted entirely. I feel the complexity and depth needed to make turn based combat enjoyable is not exactly in the vein of what costume quest is, and a well fleshed out turn based experience I think would upset the pacing of the game. Several suggestions as to what to replace it with: Entering combat with and it switching to a mode like street fighter vs capcom would be cool. You could tag in/out with the other party members, and have really flashy moves. Also, I think a system that is implemented in the Tales series would be good to. I would be ok with drastically reducing the amount of combat as well, and having each fight be more of a puzzle with multiple solutions.

I disagree. Sounds like you liked everything but the game elements. But for someone like me who thinks that Super Mario RPG is perhaps the greatest video game of all time, the turn-based battle system with timed hits was a great way to go.

Some things I think it would be fun to see:

I. MORE MINI-GAMES

The bobbing for apples mini-game was a short-and-sweet detour from the core loop. I'll wishlist more of those. How about a pumpkin carving mini-game? Pumpkin carving contests are on the surface difficult to translate into simple video game form, but it can be done. Instead of making a subjectively judged event, what you could do is a test of pumpkin carving SKILL. Other games have done similar translations of fine-motor-skill-hand-crafts to tiny video game form. One of my favorite examples is the art class painting mini-game in Bully, which the uninitiated can scratch their heads at here:

Another game my family used to play back in the day was a trading game. The younger kids just trick-or-treated for candy, but the older kids would play a game where they all started with the same small object, then they'd go around to various houses asking if the owners had anything quirky in the house they wanted to get rid of and would trade it for the object the kid was currently holding. There was no limit on the number of trades you could make, but there was a deadline (i.e. the end of the night). The only win condition is the pride you feel at the strangeness of your final treasure and possibly the satisfaction of knowing it is a more interesting find than what any of your friends found. Perhaps some top secret costume materials could be hidden this way.

II. MORE PUZZLES

Especially (but not limited to) environmental ones.

III. MORE TEEPEE

Come on. I don't know about the states you all live in, but in my state, houses and trees with toilet paper tails flapping in the wind are about as fundamental to halloween as candy. Which brings me to my next item...

IV. MORE PRANKS

Even if you as the player don't go around pulling them, I feel like they should at least be going on in the environment. You know, stink bombs, kids jumping out and scaring other kids, fire crackers (especially black cats etc that pop loudly and scare people).

V. MORE ENEMY TYPES

The more monsters my imagination gets to slay, the better. I feel like this is one of those, "No duh, but that costs money" suggestions, but you know, whatever.

VI. MORE MYSTERY

When I think of my perception of halloween as a young lad, I remember thinking it was scary (natch)... Especially scary were the people in costumes who were not my friends of my own age, but were huge hulking adults who were already scary just by being bigger than me, but also more scary because now they were a snarling werewolf or something, but even MORE scary because I had no idea who the person behind the mask was, so it might as well be no one at all, so it might as well just be AN ACTUAL WEREWOLF OMG AM I GOING TO DIE?!

And somewhere in there is the crux of what I'm getting at. By the time you're old, you understand what's up with Christmas, and you understand what's up with Halloween, so the magic is kind of lost. As a kid on halloween, though, even though you "know" that all this scary stuff is made by people and all these strange/terrifying characters are just people in costumes, there is another part of you that feels viscerally that there is something DEEPER going on. Everything you see on halloween is a sign of other worlds or happenings that you can only speculate about. Clues everywhere to things you can hope to understand but probably won't.

So whether it involves a mysterious stranger, an uncanny coincidence, or the semblance of things supernatural afoot, I think it would be cool to have an arc in the game where the player is immediately intrigued but can't yet understand. Perhaps the unknown/mysterious element helps the player along on his/her quest somehow, and yet the unknown/mysterious element remains a captivating but unsolved mystery even in the end.

Whatever form it takes, bring on that childhood awe of halloween's mysteriousness.

NO! That's what made the game so great in the first place!

What they need to do is just go all out Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga or better yet Paper Mario and have proper items, potions, some more abilities and maybe even armor and better stats. Costume Quest was way, WAAAAAAY to simple and basic to make it replayable and Paper Mario has enough options, items, and battle things to have depthm, some skill and keep things interesting while still remaining simple and easy to learn, understand and master.

I think the combat would need more depth. In part one the combat felt a bit like an earlier Final Fantasy game, but with a lot less option as the only available commands were "Attack" and "Special Attack". I would like to see some additions here. It would be nice if you could select with which kid you attack first. Using items during combat would also be nice. As far as I remember you were healed to full hit points after each fight so you did not have to heal between fights, and I think it would add a few stretegic decisions if this changed. Some other things that could be added to CQ2 combat is some kind of magic system or elemental attacks and elemental resistances (or absorbs) like in FF games.

I am not sure how I feel about the quick time events. In part one it kept the combat from becoming to boring. But if there are more options and you have to think more about your strategy, they may not be needed anymore. On the other hand I really liked the QTEs for special attacks in the first two Penny Arcade RPGs. There you had to hit certain buttons at the right time, but not just once but multiple times and each hit meant additional damage but may also have added speed of the moving pointer that indicated the right time to hit. There were also team attacks like in Chrono Trigger, which may also work well in CQ2.

You could always look to FFX-2's costume change system for some interesting ideas. Here are how some of the basic principles would look if translated directly from one game to the other:

--Every character in the party can wear every costume.

--Every costume functions as a "class". Characters have different levels of experience for every class, so while Reynold may be a level 5 robot, he might only be a level 1 knight.

--Characters can change costumes in the middle of battle. (This is something CQ should absolutely implement). In FFX2, changing costumes would use up your entire turn, which was strange, since in regular FFX you could swap out party members hundreds of times on a single turn as long as you didn't take any actions with any of them. Making costume changes end the turn kinda discouraged you from doing it and, IMO, kinda broke the best ideas in their battle system. It would be better if you were allowed only one costume change per turn but using it didn't end your turn. Or if you could earn a costume change in battle somehow.

--There is a costume map with all the costumes arranged in a constellation of costume nodes. Along the lines connecting each costume node to another costume node are smaller, intermediary nodes that indicate bonuses. What this means is that there is a specific bonus you get in battle for changing out of one costume and into another. Every costume change sequence has a unique bonus. For example, going from robot to knight in the middle of battle confers an extra defense bonus. Going from statue of liberty to robot confers a damage bonus on the robot's special attack. These bonuses are only available if you switch to that costume IN BATTLE. Starting battle in that costume does not award the bonus.

--Using a specific combination of costumes, or having one character go through a specific sequence of costume changes in a single battle, can open up new costume options or costume abilities that are only available in that particular battle if those particular requirements are met.

So imagine if Reynold was battling with two of his neighborhood friends, and one new addition to the battle system was what we'll call a "costume change meter". Every time you successfully execute a timed hit (whether on offense or defense), the CC meter goes up. When it gets full, anyone in the party can use it (which completely depletes it) to change their costume mid-battle. If a character keeps using the CC meter to go through a specific series of costume changes, awesome things might happen. Suppose that Reynold keeps using the CC meter to go ROBOT --> KNIGHT --> PUMPKIN, then Pumpkin's special ability is buffed to cut enemy HP by 3/4 instead of 1/2. Or suppose that Reynold goes STATUE OF LIBERTY --> NINJA --> UNICORN, then the unicorn gets a new special ability that we'll call "NO THANKS". This allows Unicorn to take whatever amount of damage was just dealt to an ally in the party, restore an equal amount of HP back to them (thereby undoing the dmg completely) and return the dmg to the enemy who dealt it. It deals the full dmg value to the enemy regardless of their defense. These special attacks are an unlocked optional ability. The regular specials are still there to use.

FFX-2 had some pretty cool ideas, despite not balancing them out very well.

Voice acting and making it look less "south-park" and more cartoony like "Psychonauts" or something like that :)

I would love to see something other than QTEs for combat or some more varied mechanics so not everything is a QTE. But I don't particularly like them, they bore me.

I would love to see some stuff like in Chrono Trigger where you learn new abilities and have 2 and 3 person abilities that combine strengths of the costumes. Might be a bit too much, but it was always fun in that game and kept me engaged in the combat.

i brought up improvements and more variation with the QTE's as a quick way to make combat feel a little more active and fresh. i love how shaigunjoe thought to just completely gut the system, it immediately made me think how much fun it would be/look to have a more realtime combat system in place, still transitioning to some sort of fighting scene from the exploration aspect of the game. the coolest, and maybe realistic, idea for combat would be if there were 2-4 types of combat that would randomly get selected per battle. so you have a chance of jumping into a real time battle, turn based battle, and two other combat scenarios. might sound ridiculously unrealistic rather than just finding one and really focusing on it and it's polish, but it's a neat idea to think about!

i'm sure voice acting would be cool, but there is some sort of effect with the speech bubbles definitely, there's some charm to it because you sometimes make the voices up in your head. i would like to see the bubbles have some color coordination or symbol so it was clear who's bubble was who when you have 3 people near you talking. also a way to skip bubbles you've already read. i think i remember loving the sounds of the speech bubbles tho, and it might have not been loud enough in certain situations to hear.

i think AnAnemoneInAnonymity nailed it a few posts above. seeing the area alive with pranks and halloweenery would be amazing, seeing other kids running around and all that! teepee everywhere, or at least used as a specific story element would be amazing, i can already picture it looking great. getting in tune with your younger halloween-self will totally bring out more soul in the game!

someone said it's 7 months to release, so who knows, maybe it's way too late to change things up as we are mentioning. i really hope to see some nice changes tho, the foundation for costume quest is really really strong, but i think it can go much farther and really really stand out with smart adjustments in mood, exploration, and gameplay.

I'd like to see you guys take a few more leaves out of Earthbound and the recent South Park RPG, and make more moments where childhood and imaginative weapons and situations are created. This, imo, was the core of what made costume quest so memorable, and if you can continue to capture that feeling, I'm certain it will be just as good, if not better than, the original.

Additionally, one of my favourite scenes was the roller skate race near the beginning of the game. I'd also love to see more mundane suburban adventures like this, in addition to the fantasy elements.

I want to see more kids/ monster kids who also have costume powers. One of my favourite parts of the south park game was that the original enemies were fellow kids playing the same game as you were. By humanizing the enemies, it makes the fights against them more satisfactory. One possibility is one of the universes they go to in the game is a monster universe where kids there do "treat or tricking", where people dress up as humans for Halloween, and your none-dressed up kids are complemented for excellent costumes. That way you'd be able to have rival costume fighters that could reflect the growth you have made throughout the game.

The only other thing I want to see is an answer to the cliff hanger at the end of the last game's dlc. If we get a sliders story, you can bet I will be extremely happy =D

Ridiculous request, but:

Co-op.

I agree, ridiculous request.

However, I also agree, +1 for co op.

How many double fine games are co op? Iron Brigade? I think that's it.

Double Fine, give us some co op love!

No co-op! It will suck up production time! I would prefer a really good single-player experience.

They only have until October.

No co-op! It will suck up production time! I would prefer a really good single-player experience.

They only have until October.

You could always have 1 controller co-op ala Mario where you pass the controller so that player one controls half the characters and the other player controls the others. Sure it would still take a bit of time, but not nearly as much as a full co-op feature would normally be. That said it depends on the amount of interest and how much time the developers would have to implement it. At the end of the day though I too would rather have an amazing single player campaign first and for most. A co-op feature would just be a bonus to me.

The Cave, too.

The Cave, too.

Oh yea, I was just playing the cave too! Haha

UDnjkU5.png

Yea, this just reeks of ignorance. D&D is a turn based co op rpg. Not to mention games like FFVI and Gladius made good use of it as well.

D&D is a turn based co op rpg.

It is, but you realize you're comparing apples to oranges.

Not to mention games like FFVI and Gladius made good use of it as well.

I didn't play Gladius, but I would dispute the use of the word "good" to describe the FFVI approach. It wasn't so much "good" multiplayer as it was "technically" multiplayer.

But hey, to each his own. If you honestly thought that was awesome and would like to see it in Costume Quest 2, then more power to you. I personally can't think of a formula for co-oping this kind of game that sounds like anything I would like. I'd be happy to be wrong.

D&D is a turn based co op rpg.

Not to mention games like FFVI and Gladius made good use of it as well.

I didn't play Gladius, but I would dispute the use of the word "good" to describe the FFVI approach. It wasn't so much "good" multiplayer as it was "technically" multiplayer.

But hey, to each his own. If you honestly thought that was awesome and would like to see it in Costume Quest 2, then more power to you. I personally can't think of a formula for co-oping this kind of game that sounds like anything I would like. I'd be happy to be wrong.

You were saying?

That co-op is mostly centered around action/platformy elements, though, not so much the turn-based battle system.

I mean, I guess you could do that in Costume Quest, emphasizing co-op in the field, where one player navigates and the other player controls the field abilities? But that makes the first player's job a little boring. And it's not like Child of Light where player 2 is protecting player 1 by revealing dangerous hazards (CQ doesn't have those in the field) or healing (CQ doesn't have damage in the field) or anything like that. I guess CQ2 could always ADD that stuff, in which case: cool. But I would be surprised if they did.

If CQ2 is like CQ1, and you're pretty much just cruising the neighborhood, the child of light formula doesn't really work. The CQ field just doesn't have the same kinds of dangers or navigation problems, so the type of help offered by CoL's player 2 just isn't nearly as helpful or interesting in CQ's field.

And even if you did work out the field problem, that still leaves the question of what you would do about the battle system. FFVI tried the solution of just splitting the party so that player 1 controlled some of the characters and player 2 controlled the others. Maybe some people like(d) that idea? I'm not a huge fan. I mean, if you were playing couch co-op, that would be a little better, but still not great.

I just don't think this genre lends itself well to co-op. It will be very hard to convince me otherwise.

Ha, says the guy who compares solitaire to rpgs.

Ha, says the guy who compares solitaire to rpgs.

Hahaha, touche. I gotta give ya that one.

The Cave, too.

Oh yea, I was just playing the cave too! Haha

Brutal Legend too...