Sign in to follow this  
Jenni

Doug the Ogre - Collaborative Comic

There's two things I wanted to do this year. I love the Torpedo Rock collaborative comic on the Telltale forums and I've been wanting to start something similar, and I'm a big supporter of the public domain, so I'm going to use this post to do both.

Since the United States public domain laws prevent works from going into the public domain for the forseeable future, I wanted to release one of my own creations in support of the public domain. But, due to differing public domain laws in different countries (a work that is in the public domain may not necessarily be in the public domain in others), I decided to use a more binding license instead.

Ever since I first created Doug the Ogre he has been one of my favorite characters. He is also mostly a clean slate. The only thing ever said in the Jenni comic is that he's not necessarily good or evil, just "mostly good" (and that he's the size of an average human, whereas the other ogres are much bigger). Other than that, he's completely free to mold as anyone sees fit. So, feel free to do so. Doug the Ogre is now released for all under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license. And , since I used her in the first Doug the Ogre comic, I'm also releasing Doug's mother for all under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license as well. :)

I'm releasing the Doug The Ogre comic itself under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 4.0 license, so you can do whatever you want with it, commercial or non-commercial, but everything you create based on it must be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 4.0 license too (that way all pages of the comic that are made are covered under the same license).

So, with all that said and done, here's the first Doug the Ogre comic. Feel free to continue it as you see fit in your own style. :)

doug1.png.6e534cc50619f48efcdecb4f63bc1c78.png

Well I'm SUPPOSED to be working on my next review, but sod it, this sounds like it could be interesting.

doug2.png

This took half an hour to draw and another 15 or so to put into the template, which I'll upload somewhere for those who wish to use it. Because I'm nice like that. Felt good to actually draw something again - I haven't done it in ages. Thanks Jenni. :)

Still can't do hands though. :(

Awesome! Hands are still pretty tough for me too (that's one of the main reasons my characters had mitten hands when the Jenni comic first started ;)).

doug3.png

I decided to bring one of the main characters of the Jenni comic over. Since he's based on a public domain character, it only seemed fair that he be in this. So, with this my take on Merlin is now released under the the Creative Commons Attribution license. I'm releasing my other takes on public domain characters under the Creative Commons Attribution license as well (The Time Machine/H.G. Wells and Margaret Cavendish/The Blazing World, The Big Bad Wolf and The Boy Who Cried Wolf, and Captain Hook). :)

doug4.png

j5cQr2f.png

It's my first time using GNU Paint and I also struggled a bit with the template Darth Marsden made, so it's kind of rough. I'll try to improve on it a bit some other time.

Oops. I kinda forgot to upload the basic template I did. My bad! Let me rectify that now:

ComicTemplate.png

ComicTemplate.png.60b6024e4a58dbbbd5a5fa

When is the next strip due? I need something else to read after getting up to date with Broodhollow.

When is the next strip due? I need something else to read after getting up to date with Broodhollow.

Here you go, courtesy of my mom (she made this a few days ago, but I forgot to post it):

And also my latest :)

doug6.png

doug7.png

I decided to have a crack at this myself. I stole and modified one of your drawings Jenni! Hope you don't mind. :)

Also I upped the ante to four cells instead of three. It adds to the joke. :)

QL2iDpA.png

late.png

Yay! It's great to see this topic active again!

I decided to have a crack at this myself. I stole and modified one of your drawings Jenni! Hope you don't mind. :)
By all means go ahead and modify whatever you like. One of the main reasons I chose such an open license was to allow people to freely use the art and story as they wished. :)

Other than that, he's completely free to mold as anyone sees fit.

Were you aware that Majus actually cameo'd him in a game jam in 2013?

Doug_Cameo.jpg

/edit: Did a bit of research and yes of course you were aware. Stupid me!!

Other than that, he's completely free to mold as anyone sees fit.

Were you aware that Majus actually cameo'd him in a game jam in 2013?

Doug_Cameo.jpg

/edit: Did a bit of research and yes of course you were aware. Stupid me!!

Yeah. It was awesome to be able to be a part of that (and it's awesome that you recognized Doug when you saw him in the game to come in here and talk about his cameo, so thanks for that :)).

I did a little cross promotion on my Jenni webcomic for it, and got a nice message back from Majus regarding his fondness for my January Animation Month challenge (which is always a great thing to hear, as it often feels like I just keep doing these things for myself alone - I'm easy to please - even one nice comment can keep me going :)).

I also got a song on the Major Bueno Party soundtrack (Slipping Thru), which is awesome. :)

I'm starting to get in the creative spirit again, so I figured I'd start this collabo back up. :)

doug9.png.da1704e81212c07f4deb10cbb09772

I was working on the Moai code for Doug's Moai Adventure to try to get it playable without needing to install the whole Moai devkit (I haven't figured it out yet, but I'll hopefully figure it out soon), and I realized that I left an important inventory item behind in the game. Whoops.

Well, let's fix that and make it a plot point instead of an omission. ;)

doug10.png.4be7c90c46057146ef496462fdf77

Long time, no comic.  So, let's continue from the last one, shall we? :)

doug12.png.d9451e6a294a7d4409b00ea649d9aaed.png

Oh, and regarding the edits I made to the posts above, the edits were nothing nefarious, I promise. :) The pictures didn't play nice with the forum converter during the switch-over

Lazy DC made an awesome piece of Doug the Ogre fanart over at the Telltale forums. :D

iPF3iKQ.png

And I decided to make a new comic. :D I made these two images last year during my open studio art group. I made them in watercolor pencil, but I decided to re-color them using Paint.NET. I left the watercolor look for the exploding rocks - I feel it gives it an out of this world vibe due to the contrast with the solid colors of the rest of the comic. :)

file.php?id=2

Don't forget,  if you want to contribute, our own friendly former forum moderator, Darth Marsden, created a template of the layout used for most of the comic strip:

ComicTemplate.png.60b6024e4a58dbbbd5a5fa

I also made a true type font out of my handwriting to make it easier for me to make strips.  I shared it at my DeviantArt page, so you can use that too if you want. :D

You can either upload your comic to an image hosting service like Lutim orImgur, or just attach an image to your post by clicking the  "choose files..." link at the bottom of the text area where you write.

EDIT: See this post too.

Awesome, @Kewl Lemon!  Thanks for contributing. :D 

It's hard to read the text though, any chance you can post what the panels say?

Edit: I googled the scenes in question and I was able to determine what the text says.  I edited the strip to make it easier to read. :) 

Oh, and don't worry about the legalese. I got permission to use the Costume Quest characters for this strip and just wanted to make it clear that they are exempt from the share-alike license used in this comic.