Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF_John

Sigil Symbol Suggestion Thread

In addition to being able to choose a symbol or layer shapes to form a symbol, it might be a good idea to look at some examples of how heraldry worked on medieval shields and flags. A lot of the time the "meaning" carried by the flag/shield had as much to do with what we would consider the "background pattern" as it did the symbols. These are all pretty simple for example:

basic-heraldry-shields-14021919.jpg

But with heraldry, having a white vertical line in your background could mean something very specific (e.g. "military strength") while having a horizontal line meant something else (e.g. "one who serves the public"). Having a diagonal line going left to right meant something different from a diagonal line going right to left. Etc etc.

Most of the time the variations all meant something GOOD you wanted to symbolize about your family/monarchy, but there is a certain myth/fiction that there were also ways of marking up a shield to signify DISHONORABLE acts performed by its bearer, including demerits for the acts of being a drunk, committing adultery, killing someone who asked for mercy, or issuing a challenge and then backing out, or for being a bastard child.. These are called "abatements" and are myths, but for game purposes it may suggest a fun idea to play with.

So in addition to "layering" symbol elements, you could also have a library of basic background patterns like these made up of a Color 1 and a Color 2, which your symbol would then be placed on top of.

A lot of sites that come up on google by searching "heraldry" are kinda crappy sites created by amateurs who just really love D&D and renaissance fairs, but here is an actually pretty good one that has tons of solid information with tons of visual examples.

(Information about "Abatements" at the very bottom.)

http://www.internationalheraldry.com/

kola1781_city_coa_n5955.gif

I like the bottom fish part.

Smiles

yeah I like that guy. Part of the reason I'm hoping lots of sigils come "in parts" . So people can mix and match them in unexpected ways.

The Rhino + Bee example in the Op is sorta of an example of a hybrid creature, but the background textures (that quasi wood grain) don't seem to quite mesh well. Hope there is a way to unify them in the final .

A few other rl sigils I think are neat

kaisiadoriu_herbas.jpg1b58b0bb-1643-464f-bcb6-9bd3043be0b0.jpg?Client=MCCManager&NamespaceID=1093&MaxSide=160Derry.jpgMouila.jpgsnakes.jpg210px-Badge_of_the_Portcullis_Pursuivant.svg.png

Further Addition Ideas

Riding Horse (that is standing normally) and Saliant Horse seem like good options

Seahorse might be interesting (to add variety to mere-creatures)

I am still being ignored by DF staff members.

I still await a constructive reply from a staff member.

But, my two bits and the wife's two bits are for a reaper's scythe and a calla lily.

We need a sigil with a tiny violin too. Just came to me.

Smiles

I am still being ignored by DF staff members.

I still await a constructive reply from a staff member.

But, my two bits and the wife's two bits are for a reaper's scythe and a calla lily.

Responded via pm. Also - the scythe and lily sound like it'd make for a wicked sigil. Or biker's jacket!

How about House words displaying somewhere?

It could just be in whatever GUI menu you look at the Sigil. A little scroll where you type in the words of your house. Those words could show up again in Hero-descriptions, "[character name], of house [house name], whose words are [house words], son of [father of this hero], victorious in [battle name], son of [grandfather of hero], who died from [terminal wound method] is a [years old] year old [class]. "

Battle names would be simple adaptations of mission/level names. In X-com you've random word-pairings for operation titles like, "Operation Blind Crone". The MC equivalent would be to say, "The Battle of Raging Wolf" and then this battle would be added to a list of battles a hero has participated, tagged with some significant detail about what happened to him there. The simplest would just be he won or he died but there could also be, "Injured in the Battle of Raging Wolf" or "Blood Tainted in the Battle of Raging Wolf".

House words around the sigil would be illegible at country-patch sizes so they needn't be incoprorated/displayed there but it would be cool to have house words exist in the game and visible somewhere, if only when you're looking at your Sigil screen.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/OUTLAW-BIKER-1-er-CHOPPER-SKINHEAD-BNP-EDL-MILATARY-TOTENKOPF-RUNE-SS-PATCH-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/8ioAAOxy14VRXdl9/$T2eC16R,!zoE9s5ne3cqBR(dl9I1zw~~60_35.JPG

Mottos could be fun, when you are seeing the info displayed on a character screen or something like that. I am not sure I'd ever use text myself, but it sounds decent.

Smiles

Some nice owl symbol like my avatar would be most welcome :) Preferably with open wings but closed wings are good too.

owl-vector.jpgowl-vector-1028007.jpg

The Coat of arms of Småland is pretty cool too :coolsmile:

Småland_vapen.svg

EDIT: Hmm, I'm a $100 backer but for some reason I don't have any Massive Chalice backer tag thingy under my profile, oh well :P

EDIT: Hmm, I'm a $100 backer but for some reason I don't have any Massive Chalice backer tag thingy under my profile, oh well :P

Back in the day, Remo said this to someone who didn't have a tag. You can probably message DF John and he can get it sorted out.

Send me a private message including your Kickstarter email address and your forum email address—really, any relevant email addresses you might have backed with or signed up to DF stuff with, so I can centralize them all under one account in our backend. Then you'll be all set.

Smiles

This thread is sweet! We're going to preview this tool near the end of this week on the next Teamstream! :D!

@Seneschul - I'm sorry that you feel the way that you do about the tool. We tried to outline our intent with a Kickstarter update, and the final tool is shaping up to be pretty close to our core concept from last year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fines-massive-chalice/posts/516105

That being said, if you'd like a refund please send me a PM about it! I don't want anyone to be bummed out about the game.

A little specific, but I would like to see gryphons in more than the traditional rampant (and segreant) poses, specifically couchant and dormant.

For some reason I'd love to see some food icons. Flagons of ale, a mutton leg, etc.

Also, I'm always appreciative of chevron patterns as I like to make Twin Peaks inspired designs a lot (hmm, would cherry pie be an appropriate symbol??)

Also, don't forget to include all the Massive Chalice-themed weaponry. A caber, a potion tossing...thing (I'm spacing on their name right now), etc.

I'd also love to see some symbols of completely made up creatures unique to Massive Chalice...but maybe that will just be on us to make when combining images (like the Rhino Bee).

If any of this has already been covered, I apologize...I skimmed through the thread but didn't have time to read each suggestion here at work.

My suggestions (which may or may not be already suggested by others would be:

Horses/Unicorns

Lions of various types (European flag style or more realistic)

Swords

Flames

I've been waiting to hear about this bloodline backer thing for quite a while and now I see it's done as an afterthought. I guess this will be the last doublefine game I support via kickstarter :(

My suggestions (which may or may not be already suggested by others would be:

Horses/Unicorns

Lions of various types (European flag style or more realistic)

Swords

Flames

I've been waiting to hear about this bloodline backer thing for quite a while and now I see it's done as an afterthought. I guess this will be the last doublefine game I support via kickstarter :(

I'm sorry you feel that it is an afterthought. To me, it feels like it is trucking along like the rest of the game -- so I suppose it is all matter of our own point of view. We'll all get to learn more about the bloodline creator soon enough, and then we can re-evaluate everything from that point on.

Smiles

I specifically need eyes, mouths, and claws/hands. Angry, brutal looking stuff, the meanest parts of the body! Maybe I'll sketch up some shapes of what I'm talkin' about, but felt like making this post anyway just to get the ideas out there in case I don't get around to it.

Some sort of sweet hour glass I think one would be a nice nod to our epic timeline. Also, a hand that isn't a fist... and a foot cut off at the ankle, would be sweet.

Smiles

I hope that rhino from the original post makes it in. Or any kind of rhino.

It wouldn't surprise me if the reason we didn't see it in the editor was they didn't feel it fit with the aesthetic they are going for and we'll see a slightly altered variation soon enough.

(speculation based on the last Stream)

Any of the typical animal positions from traditional coat of arms. Like lions/griffons/etc facing each other or by themselves. Fortunately there's only like six positions that the animals would ever have been placed in so it could be a relatively quick addition.

Sign in to follow this