You're DOOMED Scrooge-

You're doomed for all time!

Your future is a horror story written by your crimes

Your chains are born

By what you say and do

So have your fun

When life is done

A nightmare waits for you

It kinda makes me almost wish heaven was a real place and we had video cameras there to record the awkward conversation that must be going on at the pearly gates with St. Peter or whatever.

I'm just saying, holding on to grudges isn't a good thing. Especially when you're holding on to grudges against dead men.

Ugh. Yeah let's celebrate a man dying. Because that's healthy.
Responses like this confuse me. Are you not glad that a man can't spread his hate any more? The fact that it happened because of his death is only secondary. He is a terrible person, you can be glad that he stopped being a terrible person. Whether or not it was because he stopped breathing is irrelevant.

Sure, but being happy about it by spreading more negativity is doing the same thing people hate him for. I just think the best response is to forgive the dead man for what he did and move on.

Hate for actions is very different than hate for merely existing. If his actions deserve hate then it is healthier to recognize that and fight against them in the future, than to forgive every terrible deed a person can do, throw your hands in the air and go "EEEHHHHHHH" every time and give free passes to actual evil deeds.

Personally I think its better to forget and make him irrelevant.

(It achieves the same goal though tbh, moving on)

In order for someone to be to forgiven, that person must genuinely show remorse for their actions.

In order for someone to be FORGOTTEN, we just have to stop giving a crap about them.

One of these things is an appropriate action. The other is not. Let's go with the one that doesn't let the man off the hook, so to speak.

It kinda makes me almost wish heaven was a real place and we had video cameras there to record the awkward conversation that must be going on at the pearly gates with St. Peter or whatever.
It is a real place. But he's not going there.

If one were to posit 1) that Heaven is a real place that is located on a plane which is extradimensional to ours which is not constrained by our understanding of linear time, and 2) that we have an aspect of ourselves which is capable of existing on that plane when outside of our bodies; and one were to also posit that 3) the Bible gives an accurate standard by which one might be able to enter Heaven...

then it stands to reason--as evidenced by the examples in Scripture I previously quoted--that Fred Phelps will be judged by the same standard to which he judged others, and he quite possibly is not exempted from those judgements simply because he claims to believe in God.

Hate for actions is very different than hate for merely existing. If his actions deserve hate then it is healthier to recognize that and fight against them in the future, than to forgive every terrible deed a person can do, throw your hands in the air and go "EEEHHHHHHH" every time and give free passes to actual evil deeds.

Did I say forgive every evil action someone commits? No, I just said there's no point in holding on to contempt for a dead man. Might as well let it go.

In order for someone to be to forgiven, that person must genuinely show remorse for their actions.

Well that's just not true.

It's best to forget about the old coot. It's now between him and The Man Upstairs.

In the words of George Takei: "Today, Mr. Phelps may have learned that God, in fact, hates no one. Vicious and hate-filled as he was, may his soul find the kind of peace through death that was so plainly elusive during his life."

In order for someone to be FORGOTTEN, we just have to stop giving a crap about them.

One of these things is an appropriate action. The other is not. Let's go with the one that doesn't let the man off the hook, so to speak.

I have that problem in rl that since I'll never see them again and I couldn't forgive them anyway.

Ah, this is good. He finally gets his just desserts.

Now let's all move on and forget about him. He doesn't deserve a place in my memory.

I have to say there are more people taking the high road on this website than anywhere else on the internet I've seen since this happened. Props.

What just desserts? He died. Everyone gets that, and he lived to 84, which is longer than most, after a largely comfortable life.

Hmm, so what's just desserts, now? Eternal punishment - in whatever form that might be? Well, I don't believe in that, of course, but even if I did I'm not sure I'd wish it on most people, even Phelps.

Nah, just desserts would have had to have happened decades ago to mean anything, and I'm not sure what form it would have taken to be meaningful.

What just desserts? He died. Everyone gets that, and he lived to 84, which is longer than most, after a largely comfortable life.

Hmm, so what's just desserts, now? Eternal punishment - in whatever form that might be? Well, I don't believe in that, of course, but even if I did I'm not sure I'd wish it on most people, even Phelps.

Nah, just desserts would have had to have happened decades ago to mean anything, and I'm not sure what form it would have taken to be meaningful.

He died alone and abandoned by his family, who are now fighting for control of his assets.

He died alone and abandoned by his family, who are now fighting for control of his assets.

Eh, for a fraction of his life, true, but he lived a long and comfortable life by most standards is what I meant.

Wealth and power do not lead to happiness. Just because he may have had a "comforatable" lifestyle, it doesn't mean that he wasn't utterly miserable. In fact, he /very likely/ was utterly miserable, as evidenced by the fact that he made it his goal in life to inflict misery on others as well.

Wealth and power do not lead to happiness. Just because he may have had a "comforatable" lifestyle, it doesn't mean that he wasn't utterly miserable. In fact, he /very likely/ was utterly miserable, as evidenced by the fact that he made it his goal in life to inflict misery on others as well.

Well, yeah, anyone with his sort of personality is never going to be satisfied - all the reward in the world wouldn't have made him happier. I doubt he even properly understood happiness.

But I don't care, that isn't my point - I don't know why this is so hard to understand - happy or sad, he lived the vast majority of his quite long life in comfort and ease, which is more than can be said of many much more deserving folks, which is why he doesn't strike me as a man who got his "just desserts"

So I don't know why you're putting my "comfortable" in quotes - I meant the word, I used it for a reason.

Because all the money in the world doesn't matter if you're miserable. Miserable is miserable.

He died miserable and alone; no one will miss him, and he knew this.

The point is that you lend more weight to the having of material mortal wealth than Bales is when determining whether you think he got what he deserved.

Because all the money in the world doesn't matter if you're miserable. Miserable is miserable.

He died miserable and alone; no one will miss him, and he knew this.

The point is that you lend more weight to the having of material mortal wealth than Bales is when determining whether you think he got what he deserved.

Stop being ridiculous, you have a funny way of twisting what people actually mean. The point I was making is really simple - he didn't get any sort of 'just desserts.' I didn't even mention his material wealth. All I said then, and all I said now, is that the fact that he died at 84 doesn't seem like any form of 'just desserts' to me. No matter how actually happy he was during his life.

Yes, he may well have been miserable, but he wouldn't have had it any other way, hatred was all he had. A sad sort of existence, but I don't really think it is its own punishment. He should have been forgotten by his family LONG ago, that may have been some sort of justice. Instead, his hatred was encouraged and perpetuated for the vast majority of his long life.

Sign in to follow this