Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jimbob0i0

GOG key request (x-post from public forum)

Hi guys,

Thought I'd post in the backers only area with more detail on this one ...

Although Steam is a nice distribution method having the DRM free stuff contained within my GOG account is helpful and for me preferred.

Is there any chance that GOG keys could be provided to backers for our DRM free copies?

JudasIscaiot over there said to poke you guys ;)

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_broken_age_season_pass/post3

One more voice inquiring about (and requesting) GOG codes for backers.

A good number of Kickstarter projects have given GOG codes to backers and I've backed a few more that will when they're released. So please, make the required arrangements with GOG ;-)

You can get DRM free versions through Humble Bundle... is this just so you can have the game in your GOG game shelf or whatever?

You can get DRM free versions through Humble Bundle... is this just so you can have the game in your GOG game shelf or whatever?

Yes - keeps it all together in one place rather than having it spread all over.

I would prefer this on GOG as well. I'd be happy to have my steam key revoked in favor of a GOG one too. I prefer GOG over steam 100% of the time. (and backed at the $30 tier, when the GOG version is going for $20).

I got Wasteland/Wasteland 2 through GOG via kickstarter. I'm sure DF could figure something out.

They already handed out their keys and don't think they are going to reverse it. The game will probably be on gog when the second part is released. But they are already without DRM and they can't give keys to backers for every platform that is around.

They already handed out their keys and don't think they are going to reverse it. The game will probably be on gog when the second part is released. But they are already without DRM and they can't give keys to backers for every platform that is around.

I guess you missed the news and ignored my link...

It's out on GOG today and GOG staff say to ask DoubleFine if it's possible to get a key to backers.

If the answer is no so be it but if we don't ask we'll not know ;)

I have exactly 3 games on Steam... The Cave, Broken Age beta and The Banner Saga... And on GOG I have 79 games... being adventure games 59 of them... so... I would also prefer to have the GOG key for the DRM free download... I backed for the big box anyway, but I think it would look nice on my digital shelf as well hehe

I somehow doubt DF will be handing out 100 000 keys just like that. Maybe there's a way to get people a GOG version without giving out keys, though? Get a list of backers' GOG profiles of everyone who wants a GOG copy (maybe a survey on the backer forum?) and have GOG add the game to these profiles directly.

+1 for a GOG key. I won't go in the details to avoid a useless debate, but I despite Humble Bundle.

Wouldn't mind a GOG version myself too. No too fussed about it as I get to play the game either way, but yeah, to have it on your digital shelf is a nice little show off thing.

Pretty sure it comes down to budget. Valve donated the Steam copies to the backers so DF didn't need to give them any of the money; that way it could call go into the game. Unless GoG is also willing (and financially able, Valve isn't exactly hurting for cash) to do the same I don't think there will be any.

Count me in with those who would like a GOG key if it can easily be offered. I like keeping my game collection at GOG and knowing I have the game there would just be nice as it's another easy option.

My whole gaming library is on gog.com, so if DB provides a key, count me in.

I would just like to say that, while I am not opposed to additional GOG keys, I am perfectly satisfied with the distribution via Humble (And I don't like that GOG doesn't offer any Linux packages).

I would just like to say that, while I am not opposed to additional GOG keys, I am perfectly satisfied with the distribution via Humble (And I don't like that GOG doesn't offer any Linux packages).

GOG are supposed to start offering Linux packages later this year. The reason it's taken them so long seems to be their dedication to guarantee support for their entire portfolio on all supported platforms, so they've had to build some in-house Linux competence.

Maybe we call all buy another round from GOG to fund the GOG support infrastructure and dump some further fuel into the ever-burning money furnace that is Double Fine B-)

Hi folks.

Unfortunately, we aren't distributing GOG keys to backers. But, the build at GOG is the same as the original DRM-free release, so you get the same version and updates.

Hi folks.

Unfortunately, we aren't distributing GOG keys to backers. But, the build at GOG is the same as the original DRM-free release, so you get the same version and updates.

A quite late comeback, but I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate on the reasons for not distributing GOG codes to backers.

It was clarified by a GOG staffer here that codes are handed out to devs/ pubs upon request at no cost, so it can't be monetary reasons.

And given that most backers are happy with their Steam keys, I'd assume that the logistics shouldn't be that much work either if GOG codes are given out upon request.

As I said in my initial post in this thread, a good number of Kickstarter projects have and will provide GOG codes to their backers, and a few were/ are from a lot smaller studios than DF.

It'd be highly appreciated if you'd reconsider giving us GOG codes, if not for the time being then at least when Act II is out.

Thanks for your time.

Hmmm, they could hand out the keys and please some of their backers, at least on this level.

It's disappointing how the DRM free aspect is dealt with in some projects. Same with Tex right now, there's only some DRM Steam key instead of a GOG/Humble Store key available, this just isn't as good as it should be. Backers without Steam can either wait or use a pirated version (in the meantime).

Hmmm, they could hand out the keys and please some of their backers, at least on this level.

It's disappointing how the DRM free aspect is dealt with in some projects. Same with Tex right now, there's only some DRM Steam key instead of a GOG/Humble Store key available, this just isn't as good as it should be. Backers without Steam can either wait or use a pirated version (in the meantime).

Hm the game is available DRM free for download. I do not see an issue on that topic. that you want to have it on GOG is a complete different issue.

I just see the decision that they wont give out GOG keys even if they would be available. Thats DF business decision and thez hve to live with the results of it as all the backers. Anyhow there was never a promise of GOG keys.

I heard somewhere that GoG doesn't hand out game keys to developers to give out for free.

That's sadly untrue, as proven by the recent drama for Tesla Effect; they hand out keys to publishers freely, but apparently it is necessary to contact the admins privately. Source.

Handing out 7000 tradable keys might be tad different from handing out 100 000 tradable keys.

Pretty sure it comes down to budget. Valve donated the Steam copies to the backers so DF didn't need to give them any of the money; that way it could call go into the game. Unless GoG is also willing (and financially able, Valve isn't exactly hurting for cash) to do the same I don't think there will be any.
I heard somewhere that GoG doesn't hand out game keys to developers to give out for free.

GOG keys are free for the devs: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_tesla_effect_a_tex_murphy_adventure/post90

It's either DF being lazy or just not wanting to. Which is fair enough... they never said anything about GOG keys. Seems silly not to though since GOG is willing.

I very much doubt it has anything to do with laziness. It would pretty much kill any GOG sales for the game. I bet GOG isn't very keen on the idea either.

I very much doubt it has anything to do with laziness. It would pretty much kill any GOG sales for the game. I bet GOG isn't very keen on the idea either.

Nice job looking at the link.

Besides, we're only talking about giving keys to backers. How exactly do you count them as potential customers when you figure it would kill any GOG sales?

Nice job looking at the link.

No, I didn't look at the link, but wasn't it the same thread where you said that Dave Gilbert had to fight tooth and nail for Resonance keys and failed to get keys for Primordia? I believe that GOG gives the keys for free. What I'm doubting is their willingness to give out free keys in the first place.

Besides, we're only talking about giving keys to backers. How exactly do you count them as potential customers when you figure it would kill any GOG sales?

I don't count them as potential customers. You think 100k tradable keys are going to be all redeemed by backers?

I think it may also have to do with distribution more than anything. Manually sending out 100.000 GOG-keys is probably not a lot of fun. They could opt to distribute them 'by request', but they'd still have to announce that option in a Kickstarter-update, which could result in a logistical nightmare.

As DF already fulfilled their promise of a DRM-free build through Humble, I can understand why they would want to leave it at that (unless Humble could provide a GOG-widget similar to how they distribute Steam keys).

Sign in to follow this