Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jimbob0i0

GOG key request (x-post from public forum)

but they’d still have to announce that option in a Kickstarter-update, which could result in a logistical nightmare.

Not to mention there's a ton of slacker backers.

(unless Humble could provide a GOG-widget similar to how they distribute Steam keys).

That would be ideal, really.

I think it may also have to do with distribution more than anything. Manually sending out 100.000 GOG-keys is probably not a lot of fun. They could opt to distribute them 'by request', but they'd still have to announce that option in a Kickstarter-update, which could result in a logistical nightmare.

As DF already fulfilled their promise of a DRM-free build through Humble, I can understand why they would want to leave it at that (unless Humble could provide a GOG-widget similar to how they distribute Steam keys).

GOG keys have been distributed via a tab on Humble pages before, I believe that's how I got my FTL GOG key. I don't see how it would be any different from adding Steam keys. Double Fine absolutely have fulfilled their promise in terms of a DRM-free build, so I don't feel they owe me anything in that sense. However, it's pretty common for kickstarted games that have released on GOG and Steam to either give Steam and GOG keys OR give a choice (if the developer is nervous about giving away two keys) so it comes across as a little stingy or lazy on DF's part.

Off the top of my head I've had a GOG key for FTL, Broken Sword 5 and the Tesla Effect.

Nice job looking at the link.

No, I didn't look at the link, but wasn't it the same thread where you said that Dave Gilbert had to fight tooth and nail for Resonance keys and failed to get keys for Primordia? I believe that GOG gives the keys for free. What I'm doubting is their willingness to give out free keys in the first place.

Besides, we're only talking about giving keys to backers. How exactly do you count them as potential customers when you figure it would kill any GOG sales?

I don't count them as potential customers. You think 100k tradable keys are going to be all redeemed by backers?

That's what Dave Gilbert said, GOG says otherwise. I don't especially believe one over the other and there are numerous possible communication issues etc. that mean that both accounts could be perfectly true.

As for trusting backers not to give away/sell their keys? In the end, you're trusting them not to commit piracy, just like when you release your game DRM-free.

When several options are provided to access one licence for a game and you give one away or sell it, it's no different from burning a copy and giving away or selling it. It's piracy and only the same level of trust that you place in your customers when you release a game DRM-free.

As for trusting backers not to give away/sell their keys? In the end, you're trusting them not to commit piracy, just like when you release your game DRM-free. It's the same level of trust.

People gave away their keys from the Humble bundles, even when Humble explicitly asked them not to. You really think this is going to be any different? A lot of people are going to treat those keys like additional copies of the game, that's a given.

As for trusting backers not to give away/sell their keys? In the end, you're trusting them not to commit piracy, just like when you release your game DRM-free. It's the same level of trust.

People gave away their keys from the Humble bundles, even when Humble explicitly asked them not to. You really think this is going to be any different? A lot of people are going to treat those keys like additional copies of the game, that's a given.

People also upload games to torrent sites when the developers and publishers ask them not to. I'm not suggesting it would be any different; I'm saying it's exactly the same. How did you manage to misunderstand my post so much?

What I'm saying is that piracy happens anyway and by releasing the game DRM-free they've already placed trust in the users to not pirate it (even though they know some will). How would distributing GOG keys be any different?

EDIT: Oh yeah, you missed the edit to my previous post.

What I'm saying is that piracy happens anyway and by releasing the game DRM-free they've already placed trust in the users to not pirate it (even though they know some will). How would distributing GOG keys be any different?

The difference with piracy is that it doesn't put the game on people's GOG shelves.

Edit:

For example: people won't buy a pirated copy, because they can get it anywhere for free, but people will absolutely buy or trade for a GOG key, because that you can't get anywhere. And, unlike piracy, it seems legit.

Just because people can pirate your game doesn't mean you have to give out (what amounts to) free copies of the game.

The difference with piracy is that it doesn't put the game on people's GOG shelves.

Edit:

For example: people won't buy a pirated copy, because they can get it anywhere for free, but people will absolutely buy or trade for a GOG key, because that you can't get anywhere. And, unlike piracy, it seems legit.

Just because people can pirate your game doesn't mean you have to give out (what amounts to) free copies of the game.

I see what you're saying, but in the end giving away or selling one means of access and keeping the other is 'duplication' of the game and therefore functionally the same as piracy. The fact that people perceive it differently doesn't mean much and I don't think it's a good reason not to give GOG keys when GOG themselves have said they're happy to provide them.

I see what you're saying, but in the end giving away or selling one means of access and keeping the other is 'duplication' of the game and therefore functionally the same as piracy. The fact that people perceive it differently doesn't mean much and I don't think it's a good reason not to give GOG keys when GOG themselves have said they're happy to provide them.

It's only functionally the same in the mechanical aspect of 'duplication'. A pirated copy can be duplicated infinitely and is therefore worthless. GOG keys are limited and therefore have value. Plus of course there are the additional benefits like GOG support and hosting.

It's only functionally the same in the mechanical aspect of 'duplication'. A pirated copy can be duplicated infinitely and is therefore worthless. GOG keys are limited and therefore have value. Plus of course there are the additional benefits like GOG support and hosting.

I was thinking more about the moral implications, but again you make a good point. I still don't think it justifies denying backers keys that GOG is willing to provide but it's not like my moaning is going to change anything. Good discussion though, thanks.

Well, if we are talking about moral implications, then how about the fact that people are going to feel trading and gifting the GOG keys is morally right, even if they wouldn't feel right giving out pirated copies of the game.

This won't kill the sales because there are so many bad people out there, this will kill the sales because there are so many good people out there.

Well, if we are talking about moral implications, then how about the fact that people are going to feel trading and gifting the GOG keys is morally right, even if they wouldn't feel right giving out pirated copies of the game.

This won't kill the sales because there are so many bad people out there, this will kill the sales because there are so many good people out there.

That's my point. People feel very differently about the two, but they are equivalent actions in the sense of 'creating more copies of the game'. Basically, people are stupid and hypocritical when they say they're against piracy but happy to give keys away like that.

I was doing some winter cleaning on my KS "folder" and inside it among other things was Broken Age.

As a backer I'd also like to have a GOG key, since it is there that I have my game collection. Not HumbleBundle. Not Steam.

If the game is selling on GOG there is no reason for not giving GOG keys to backers.

For all I care they could revoke the key on the HumbleBundle and/or Steam. So in the end you would only have one key.

The argument for piracy is faux.

It's a slippery slope that ends in DRM.

All the other KS I've backed, and they're a lot, have given me the choice to have either a GOG or a Steam key.

I don't see what the problem is in handing out a key.

A happy backer is a returning backer.

I was doing some winter cleaning on my KS "folder" and inside it among other things was Broken Age.

As a backer I'd also like to have a GOG key, since it is there that I have my game collection. Not HumbleBundle. Not Steam.

If the game is selling on GOG there is no reason for not giving GOG keys to backers.

For all I care they could revoke the key on the HumbleBundle and/or Steam. So in the end you would only have one key.

The argument for piracy is faux.

It's a slippery slope that ends in DRM.

All the other KS I've backed, and they're a lot, have given me the choice to have either a GOG or a Steam key.

I don't see what the problem is in handing out a key.

A happy backer is a returning backer.

They haven't listened yet, I don't see any reason they would start now. Try writing to support though, they're clearly not reading this thread. =(

They said no a long ago... :(

For me, as ghost shell said, they can revoke my steam key for a GOG one.

Come on Double Fine, pleaaase...

Others Kickstarters have do it.. Jane Jensen's Moebius/GK, Dreamfall Chapters, The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, even Republique distributed GOG keys within the Humble account. Others did it by emailing support for the key, or trading our steam one for a gog one..

So.. Please DF.. I dont need a Steam key nor Ouya one, could you just keep mine in exchange for a GOG one? Pretty please? ^_^ Pretty please with sugar on top? ^.^ ...

I'd be willing to forfeit my useless Ouya key for a GOG key really. Or even better yet, I'd love to change it for it a Play store key (though I'm not sure Google would allow that).

Guys, I just noticed that a GOG key showed up on my $500 tier Humble page. You guys might want to check yours.

Here too ($100)...

So that's it... really thank you very much Double Fine :)

I got also a GOG key, being a 15$ backer. So I assume everybody did get it.

A big applause to double fine for hearing backer's requests!

I haven't gotten a GOG key, yet.

I'm a Humble Double Fine Bundle - Slacker Backer - $35 tier

Still not seeing an added GOG key to my Humble Double Fine Bundle page. Is it only original Kickstarter Backers that are getting a key?

Sign in to follow this