Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
twazu

Psychonauts Pixel Mosaic

I recently became obsessed with pixel mosaics and what better subject matter for my very first mosaic than Psychonauts? Thanks to @sl0ttedpig, the image choice was obvious. The finished work is now framed, hanging on his wall.

This piece measures 25" x 20" and took me 100 hours to complete. I laid 50,000 individual tiles by hand using tweezers. Here is an overview and two detail shots.

photo8.jpg

photo10.jpgphoto9.jpg

Wow - that's incredible! Great job!

So these are tiny tiles (plastic?) that you adhered to a surface somehow? I'd love to hear more about your process!

Wow - that's incredible! Great job!

So these are tiny tiles (plastic?) that you adhered to a surface somehow? I'd love to hear more about your process!

Thanks!!

Yes, these are very tiny tiles (0.1" each) that I place onto boards. Here is a close-up progress shot.

photo7.jpg

Here's is the finished framed piece on my wall (together with my signed Reds art)!

A really incredible feat of patience, and the best Christmas present ever! :D

20140112_133928.jpg

20140112_134518.jpg

20140111_153358.jpg

20140112_135806.jpg

Here's is the finished framed piece on my wall (together with my signed Reds art)!

A really incredible feat of patience, and the best Christmas present ever! :D

So happy you like it! Looks gorgeous framed.

Also, the color on your pictures is so much better! You and your fancy camera. ;)

That looks really awesome! And that's some dedication, putting 100 hours into a Christmas present. :)

That is really incredible, twazu! I've never heard of this type of art before, but it looks brilliant and I'm amazed at both the process and effort!

Duuuuuude this is awesome. What type of beads/tiles are those? I've seen Perler beads before (example here), but these don't look like they're the same thing.

I'd love to try doing this some time and just want to make sure I'm getting the right supplies. Thanks!

Sign in to follow this