Sign in to follow this  
Vic Romero

Sidequest: "The Purity of Your Intent"

It looks like some folks missed this Sidequest from the Valentine's Day update. Reposting here for posterity.

Khris Brown Sidequest

Last but definitely not least, everyone’s favorite uber-talented, super-passionate, legend of video game voice, Khris Brown, is back with a whole Sidequest of her own! With years and years of experience dating all the way back to working with Tim at LucasArts, you can be sure there are lots of fun stories to be told! ENJOY!

[vimeo]86474774[/vimeo]

Re-posting was a good Idea. this post was missed by being buried in another post, great idea for those who may have never seen it.

The Valentine's Day update was the last update pushed via Kickstarter; what gives?

The Valentine's Day update was the last update pushed via Kickstarter; what gives?

Amnesia fortnight. How could you forget amnesia?

That was completed a month ago! Wasn't it?

That was completed a month ago! Wasn't it?

I can't remember...

Ah, no wonder I couldn't find this the other day when I was looking for it.

Thanks for reposting it Vic!

It's so nice to see how passionate Khris is about the work she does and the people she works with :)

This is the kind of passion I can only hope to have one day for something, thank you for sharing your experiences over the years with us!

Khris Brown is probably my favourite person I've seen in the documentary. She's pretty inspirational, a real gem.

On a slightly less sycophantic note, I agree with what she was saying about being the first dog across the ice - having to BE the character before the actor can be, imagining the world so that the player can imagine the world too. She gets it and Tim can see that she gets it.

My favourite Sidequest by far. Just amazing.

(Shame the editing was so relentless and jumpy, though -- were there lots of "ums" and "ahs" that were being cut out or something?)

(Shame the editing was so relentless and jumpy, though -- were there lots of "ums" and "ahs" that were being cut out or something?)

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, there were. I admit I have a tendency to want to cut out as much dead air as possible when there's a lot of ground to cover, but it can backfire and make it feel a bit too choppy. I'll try and walk it back towards flowing more smoothly even if it means letting some natural breaks in speech hang there.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, there were. I admit I have a tendency to want to cut out as much dead air as possible when there's a lot of ground to cover, but it can backfire and make it feel a bit too choppy. I'll try and walk it back towards flowing more smoothly even if it means letting some natural breaks in speech hang there.

Might be a matter of taste. I didn't even notice it to be honest.

Fantastic. Given the emotional nature of the subject matter, it really felt like there was value in letting it breath. I'd honestly love to see it uncut, but maybe there were just too many "um"s and "ah"s for that?

Just rewatched this a third time. Khris, the kind of love you put into your work and your interactions with others is truly inspiring.

Also, I want to have your children.

I'm so glad I found this. I've skipped most of the Sidequests recently because the people didn't seem that interesting, but I remember seeing Khris in one of the episodes of the main documentary, and thinking "Who's that woman with Tim? She seems really cool." Now that I've spent 20 minutes getting to know her a little better all my initial suspicions have been confirmed, and she seems like someone who must be amazing to know and work with. So much passion for what she does, and the way she's able to reach out and connect with people.

It also explains why the voice acting is so top-notch in Tim's games. It must take countless man hours going through the volume of auditions she mentioned, but it's clearly worth it, because nothing throws me out of a game experience quite like a dodgy voice performance making a character's emotional response dubious.

Thank you so much for reposting this! I missed it the first time and am very glad to have seen it just now for the first time.

Khris is amazing at her work. The voice acting in BA is top notch. I agree with her 100% that a great story and great voice acting and/or motion capture make a game much more immersive. For me I really enjoy playing games that are very story driven, almost more so than games that have great action sequences or gameplay.

I love all these sidequests. I'd really like to see a Nathan Stapley sidequest, but I know that him being out in NYC and only showing up in San Francisco for a couple of weeks at a time probably puts limitations and premiums on his time. But I think he seems like someone that it would be pretty great to hear more from.

Smiles

I love all these sidequests. I'd really like to see a Nathan Stapley sidequest, but I know that him being out in NYC and only showing up in San Francisco for a couple of weeks at a time probably puts limitations and premiums on his time. But I think he seems like someone that it would be pretty great to hear more from.

Smiles

I agree that a Bagel sidequest would be great. I'm with you in that I'm also really enjoying the sidequests. I still cannot believe how much content you guys are delivering for us backers. Keep up the great work!

I bet there hasn't been a Bagel sidequest because he spends most of his time in NYC. But perhaps it will happen..... I'd certainly watch it.

This Sidequest made me realise that pretty much everyone at Doublefine has amazing smiles. Like, I can't think of a person working there who doesn't. Really makes it seem like it would be a wonderful work environment to be a part of...

Absolutely awesome, I definitely get what she means when you hear the same big name voice actors doing alot of different high profile games. Like nolan north for uncharted and assassin's creed and i'm sure a bunch of other stuff too. Not that it's a bad thing but it seems like a tough business to just jump into when all you have is your voice and a written description of the setting and tone.

Glad to see her care so much for the little guys. Keep going strong Khris

Absolutely adored that episode of Sidequest - I love how passionate she is about what she does.

Great sidequest, agree on the editing.

Also there were some 'cuts to black' where I think we were supposed to see game footage.

Also the interviewer's questions aren't the same style as the previous sidequests (this was white text on black; the others had yellow with black outline over the regular video).

Sign in to follow this