Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr.ROBOTUSSIN

What do you want next?

Aside from the medbay, anyone have any cool or interesting ideas that we haven't come up with yet? Room ideas. upgrades, some new items? What else should be added to the long list of things to do?

Ragtag's windows!

In general, more items to build/interact with. The citizens don't have enough interesting thing's going on in their lives yet. Really looking forward to this side of the game being fleshed out some more.

I've suggested some Objects here. As it is now, many room zones only take a single object type, so that there's no meaningful choices to be made other than how large to make the room.

Power generation.

Security office with a cell.

More decorations.

Ability to upgrade structures instead of building another item.

Ability to use weapons in a space-suit.

EXPLOSIVES!

MOAR RESEARCH OPTIONS:

Green thumb tablet level one, two, three, four etc..

Tech tablet level one, two, three, four etc..

Drinks and food?

Fortified walls.

Fortified floors.

Force field roofs?

Sprinkler systems.

More gym machines.

MOAR ROOMS:

Arboretum.

Meeting room.

Warehouse.

Hiya, I am new.

A Library/ Training area.

A small theater for plays and movies.

An astrophysics lab with telescope.

A spa.

Garden with small trees and bushes and flowers as well as aquaponics (raising fish in the water tanks that eat algae and such)

Power generation.

EXPLOSIVES!

As a threat or as a tool? Maybe both? Maybe you could have deploy-able spider explosives that you have to build then deploy via security, which would effectively take out a room in a derelict without men going inside (the spider would be carried over to the derelict then crawl in and destroy everything inside the first room it goes into; so get your men out FAST) only civilians and raiders can set them off either by accident or on purpose.

Power generation.

EXPLOSIVES!

As a threat or as a tool? Maybe both? Maybe you could have deploy-able spider explosives that you have to build then deploy via security, which would effectively take out a room in a derelict without men going inside (the spider would be carried over to the derelict then crawl in and destroy everything inside the first room it goes into; so get your men out FAST) only civilians and raiders can set them off either by accident or on purpose.

What we need is More/More interesting threats, and a more effective means of dealing with said threats.

What we need is More/More interesting threats, and a more effective means of dealing with said threats.

The stuff that was posted to the blog today may interest you, then.

In short, raiders that invade by drilling through your base's floor, and defense turrets.

The stuff that was posted to the blog today may interest you, then.

In short, raiders that invade by drilling through your base's floor, and defense turrets.

It does look cool.

However, I mean something other then raiders and robots , like space kudzu/plant infestations/changelings (or something like that)

A transport shuttle you can use to gather up and send out explorers around the very far areas around the base with.

A teleporter (high energy upkeep cost) or a high-speed transit (fast conveyer belts - might even remove the friction from your body to propel you down a long way) to provide a means of characters getting around from one location of the base to another without taking to space or going through lengthy corridors manually.

A "people mover" a-la Tomorrowland would be cool too. :V

Some good ideas already posted here!

I find a lot of what I want for the game is based on problems or gaps I'm encountering as I play.

For example, I really welcome the idea of a Medbay, because I'm tired of seeing my wounded Security guys inevitably die because they're always the weakest people going into a firefight.

I also hope that the Medbay addition also allows for Counsellor/Psychiatrist variant careers because I've got a baseful of Deeply Sad citizens who never seem to cheer up significantly, no matter what I do!

The idea of a Security zone with holding cells for prisoners also sounds very fun, even just on the face of it. Prison breaks could make for another gameplay event.

Perhaps we need a dedicated recreation area, as has been mentioned. Gyms and Pubs don't seem to provide the recreation needed for morale. Maybe just music players as an "any zone" object? Something to lift spirits? Dancing citizen animations could be amusing, though. Shake that alien booty! :)

I do like the idea of expanding base sciences, and allowing labs to be about more than just research consoles. Containment tanks for xenomorph specimens (they could even break out and run amok occasionally?) You could also have your scientists collect alien samples (eggs? hee hee) from derelicts, and take them back to the lab. Sometimes the specimens yield cool research -- sometimes, trouble!

I like the idea for a telescope. Just the visual works for me. Perhaps you could link it to the idea for "exploration teams" which was mentioned? The telescope picks up something; we assemble a team and they fly offscreen, returing later with various possibilities: research samples; new citizens rescued; alien specimens -- maybe they come back changed (hostile monsters; plague carriers). Maybe they don't come back at all, but whatever killed them does?

I'd also like to see fish added to the garden zones.

As another poster mentioned, it may be more about adding additional details and interactive bits to existing zone types, than adding entirely new types.

More objects would also be welcome, which also seems to link into having more things to do inside the zone types we already have.

The combat/threat stuff seems to be proceeding apace, and I'm not concerned. Speaking for myself, I can say that the more I enjoy the base I'm constructing and shepherding, the more I'm motivated to protect what I've built.

If Spacebase DF-9 ever becomes a simplistic "win or die" game like FTL, I know I'll enjoy it for a while for what it is, but then drift away to other games. It's designing, building, and maintaining a functioning spacebase which holds my ongoing interest, and motivates me to repel threats.

With "win or die" games, it all feels very game-y to me, and I don't really invest into my characters, since they're all just there to die anyway. With no investment in what I'm doing, I get bored relatively quickly, and move on to something else.

My opinions anyway. Good topic!

LL

Power generation.

EXPLOSIVES!

As a threat or as a tool? Maybe both?

both. and if i can have ppl being able to fire weapons wile in a space suit, i can see a game play scenario were i put a security beacon 10 squares from a derelict, and sending out an engineer to set up a blast charge to take down a wall.

3 2 1 explosions and a firefight is going on between the robot kill bots and security guys in fragile suits, ofc the element of surprise and killbots fighting the gas rushing past give my guys the edge initially but then they go in to clear the area, and then bad things happen in the silent vacuum.... still, its something to do..

why not attach 5-6 explosives all around a derelict and just blow it up, send in miners to recover materials. ;)

or just the simple blow up the umbilical cord for docking events..

or, have raiders bust down an airlock with explosives, forcing your security guys to run to another airlock and suit up before they can deal with being boarded, wile the rest of the crew pretty much gets stuck were they are until the threat can be resolved.

Not sure if its been suggested yet but a 'security room' might be a nice idea.

The general idea being a room that enhances the security on the station. I know the security may well just get an AI fix but why not make it a feature. Place a Security control room and have your security all of a sudden get information fed to them instantly meaning they respond not only immediately to threats but they also coordinate better when assaulting derelicts and so on.

A morgue might also be a nice room to keep. It would be a place to store corpses (of corpse! (mind the pun!)) which possibly could remove any negative effects from corpses littering the base (if they wanted to add that feature). Also it would enable post mortems in which medical/science staff could potentially create better cures and preventative medication?

Trading post. Weve seen the new GIF posted that shows ships boring holes into the base, a trading post could be similar but with trading vessels docking and trading stuffs.

Livestock Housing. For space chickens and piggies... that kinda thing! Room could potentially increase quality of meals? Resulting in happier, healthier colonists?

Transporter room. This room is fairly obvious. You can use it to create transportation places anywhere on your base. Eventually if and when the planetary stuff is introduced it can be used for that purpose also.

Brig. For naughty people/raiders. Gives a chance of raiders becoming nice people and turning into colonists? Lets you sell prisoners in the trading post?

Robotics centre. For building robots! They can be for industrial or general base duties. More efficient than colonists, expensive to build and eventually 'expire'.

Clone centre. Hugely expensive process of cloning a colonist. Only for those you really love. Has potential to create a 'stupid' clone. Im thinking of Family guy here when stewie gets his clone and creates one for brian... Yea... they could also 'expire' too if you like...

Sorry if any of these are duplicate suggestions!

Security Office

A barracks of some sort.

When no beacon is placed, securitys monitor the base from here and respond to threats on their own.

Could tie in with alarm pannels.

Radar post

Turrets against debris and pirates are controlled from here.

Medbay

Obviously, to cut the worms out of the equation (my citizens).

Trains

Defining a traffic network, that supplies citizen with oxygen would reduce so many problems.

Reclaiming Vat

Proteins are too valuable to let them spoil.

Animal pen

I'm sick off the fake chicken.

function

Allow citizen to refill their oxygen without having to fully cycle an airlock (open, enter, close, pressurize, undress, dress, depressurize, open...)

Not sure if its been suggested yet but a 'security room' might be a nice idea.

Livestock Housing. For space chickens and piggies... that kinda thing! Room could potentially increase quality of meals? Resulting in happier, healthier colonists?

That's just Specist! How can you suggest something like that?

Jk, I know what you mean. But why did my /quote just turn into "transpc"? When I highlighted it, it changed back. . . wierd. . .

A transport shuttle you can use to gather up and send out explorers around the very far areas around the base with.

A teleporter (high energy upkeep cost) or a high-speed transit (fast conveyer belts - might even remove the friction from your body to propel you down a long way) to provide a means of characters getting around from one location of the base to another without taking to space or going through lengthy corridors manually.

A "people mover" a-la Tomorrowland would be cool too. :V

Personally I want some upgrade for space suits.

Longer/more air in suit and faster travel in suit. I'm kinda suprised they don't have that in now.

Farscape-esque janitorbots to clean up all that blood and Killbots to patrol the obligatory (evacuated) defense perimeter would be a nice touch - they will be maintained and upgraded in a garage by technicians set up to work there exclusively.

You do want to put at least 4 stars in there, though...

I just had an idea about a zero-g tube...

Farscape-esque janitorbots to clean up all that blood and Killbots to patrol the obligatory (evacuated) defense perimeter would be a nice touch - they will be maintained and upgraded in a garage by technicians set up to work there exclusively.

You do want to put at least 4 stars in there, though...

I just had an idea about a zero-g tube...

A janitor job will be added for citizens.

^ in dev-plan

I like teh idea of making it a job, it reminds me of ss13.

We still need our non-raider threats, like plant infestations.......... it was a popular idea when it was suggested way back.

I was thinking about using space bases as actual ships.

This would require a Captain, a Control Room, Engine/Thruster parts (potentially consuming matter of some sort to move the base around) and most likely separatin the ''Station'' layer away from the ''Asteroid and Derelicts'' layer. This way we could move the base around freely, moving on from depleted areas of the asteroid belt and potentially dock with other bases/ships for trading, raiding, colony expansion or just for the sheer hell of it.

Captains would be the Founders of the base - they would boost overall morale and skills of all crew + actively boost all crew who are present in the same room as a Captain. Captains would be the only people able to pilot the base/ship.

I think it does make sense, because a lot of people make their bases to resemble spaceships. It's not hard to start thinking of your station as a ''ship'' anyway. Also, whenever we are raided via a docked vessel, the additional part of the station is actually regarded as a ship (in context of random encounter). Having the ability to actually have ships could prove beneficial to that interaction.

Also... docking zones and docking to other ships only via Airlocks - no magically appearing doors, breaching the hull, unless breaching is the main purpose of the raid (new alpha feature ^^)

On the side:

Separating the Station and Asteroids into different layers would provide an opportunity to have ''floating'' objects. Derelicts which over time move further and further away, asteroids which regularly pass by the station, occasionally crashing into it - perhaps catastrophic events such as a station being ripped in half by a supernova far away or large asteroid?

What about things like Solar Panels for energy generation? Some more Airlock interactions to manually open and close them to vent incoming threats into space? Locking airlocks altogether? Priority to people entering airlocks from the outside rather than inside, except for when cycling?

If even one tiny idea from this entire thread eventually makes it into the game, I would be happy :) It's a great little game, shows potential and is in active development. We can throw ideas around - maybe most of them will end up as LUA mods on the Workshop later on, maybe they will be implemented, maybe not. But for now, I'm going to throw a few ideas and enjoy the journey :)

OHH i have an idea!

Megashub wrote in this thread

I have built small outposts around the map to serve as mining platforms, allowing miners to refill their oxygen tanks and refine their ore without having to go all the way back to home base.

assigning a max number of ppl that can be in a room would be awesome. Like we have for fire safety in reality

A counselor to help citizens cope with the death of friends.

More kitchen appliances for food that's not grilled on the stove.

Maybe a karaoke machine to give them something else to do in the bar.

Posting this in 'code' format to make my bullet list look better. Sorry about the color. Without the commenting it tries to colorize it as if it were ... some kind of code.

/*

I didn't read all the posts so this may be redundant, and if so I apologize for my laziness.

My short answer is, the closer it gets to DwarfFortress in Space, the better.

The things I want most are probably much more difficult to implement than other folks' suggestions, but the sooner the team implements them, the less they'll have to re-work later.

* multiple base layers (z axis)

* complex structural failures (equivalent of cave-ins)

* If nothing connects two bases they may drift closer or farther apart, potentially crashing into each other or drifting so far away that they're lost

* plumbing, venting, power wiring. data wiring

* Plumbing is for bathrooms, kitchens and fire suppression systems. Oh yeah, I want fire suppression systems.

* mechanisms (a la DwarfFortress)

* levers

* linking levers to doors, defense systems, etc

* security cameras - If the security office is sufficiently staffed and effective they can detect problems (arguments, infections, fires) early and deal with them before they get out of hand.

* more control over tasks (again like DwarfFortress)

... etc.

*/

One thing more thing i'd like to see, i think bartenders should be able to serve themselves drinks when they're not busy with customers.

One thing more thing i'd like to see, i think bartenders should be able to serve themselves drinks when they're not busy with customers.

Are you sure? I see drunken bartenders in our futures. . .

Are you sure? I see drunken bartenders in our futures. . .

Better than having the back up of customers cause all bartenders also want a drink.

Maybe that could be an option on the bar: drunken bartenders cause damage and are likely to hurt themselves, but are also likely to do things that increase the moral of everyone in the bar.

Double sized doors, even if the function is decorative, i feel will enhance the look of the bases.

Also:

Drones; would like to see a research for combat droids and maintenance drones, so when a meteor destroy a wall or a floor tile a drone can be sent to fix it. Engineers can keep them in shape and they can help to fight some nasty killbots and other tasks.

Pinball & Arcade machiness; suggested this for the pub a time ago, would like to see this added to boost morale.

Plants should provide oxigen; is good to see the garden now provides some oxigen but common plants for decoration should do it too, it's only natural and logical for this to happen.

Cooling systems; as we will have reactors, we should have cooling systems to prevent fires in the reactor room.

New Rooms:

Workshop; can be created to store the drones and engineers can give maintenance to the drones and machines there.

Ship dock/bay; it's a spacebase so why not have ships dock from time to time for repairs or to provide and/or buy from us? they could bring new data cubes, staff and threats not available otherwise.

Ion Shower/looker room; nothing like a good bath and a clean uniform to boost morale and make you feel better.

I think that a temperature system, would add some complexity and interesting gameplay. Suddenly you dont only need air. after all space is a mighty cold place, and i think having to keep the base at a high temperature, else it would freeze and get cold and kill people, like if you have a hull breach, temperature will drop and room start to ice over.

Sign in to follow this