Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 15: Evergreen Games

To those of you who have been patiently waiting for downloads of the documentary episodes and its wonderful Terence Lee soundtrack, those are now available on your Humble download pages! That can be accessed by the link originally mailed out to you or by navigating to the bottom of your Humble library.

Anyone else not seeing these downloads showing up? I only see the game and game soundtrack download.

To those of you who have been patiently waiting for downloads of the documentary episodes and its wonderful Terence Lee soundtrack, those are now available on your Humble download pages! That can be accessed by the link originally mailed out to you or by navigating to the bottom of your Humble library.

Anyone else not seeing these downloads showing up? I only see the game and game soundtrack download.

Same here. I assume it's just not up yet.

Let's talk about how Chris is trying to use his mind powers to melt peoples minds who hate broken age.

mind powers.png

578d006fc4676_mindpowers.png.7db8fe07c1c

That was probably the most 'raw' and self-revealing episode so far.[...]

Yeah, definitely.

Oh my god, that calendar with Brad Muir at 6:00!

I laughed my ass off.

Here ya go

gwKVfDW.png

RE: January's Brad Muir

I don't know if it's intentional or not but the backdrop reminds me of Dark Souls and it amuses me greatly.

Wow, Tim seemed... pretty cranky through parts of this, and yet it was strangely fun to watch.

It was nice to watch another episode after a longer period. A.o. i liked that DF was offering some more concrete numbers on how the game was doing. On the other side the episode also feels weird to me in a way that we clearly have different opinions about the quality of the game and the issues during the release, the episode also shows this in form of a focus on other things. Anyway, thanks for the update (although it feels kind of weird when up to date happened in the past already).

First, great episode. It was fun to relive Backer Launch Day and Launch Day from the DF perspective.

Second, for the documentary downloads, I see them on my Humble page, but it's raw download. Ugh. Is there a way to work with Humble Bundle to allow a BitTorrent download of the episodes? They're pretty meaty files (especially in HD) and so it would be a lot easier with that option. They normally allow this for the various Soundtrack offers they provide as part of their other bundles, so I'm pretty sure there must be a way to make this possible.

Thanks and stay awesome guys.

Oh my god, that calendar with Brad Muir at 6:00!

I laughed my ass off.

Here ya go

gwKVfDW.png

This calendar is soon for sale in the DF Store, right? haha

I don't think I ever put in my 2 cents on the forums or anywhere....

I loved it. And my love of it ramped up as I played it... until the end when I was completely "Oh YES! I want to play more, more...."

So I am extremely excited for part two.

I hate that people feel entitled, and feel the need to come down on others who have worked so hard on things.

You guys have made a great game, love it!

Great to see the episodes coming out again; keep'em coming!

I must say though that the bit where there is mention of the verb coin (around 20:00 mark I believe) while I was happy that Double Fine is at least acknowledging that there are people talking about wanting that experience I can't help but feel there is an impression at the studio that this is because people want things to be "retro" or "old school" or are looking for exactly the same experience as 15+ years ago. I just want to say that this is not why I advocate for a "verb coin" like experience, I'm asking for this kind of mechanic because I truly feel like I lack options/depth when everything can be done with just one click.

I've said it before (though I think it was on a different form) that act 1 felt like it was really restricted to this one click mechanic to help it better suit a tablet/phone interface and that play-style just doesn't appeal to me when I'm playing on PC/Mac. I'm not saying that we have to go back to having an interface exactly like the old Full Throttle or MKI3 verb coin but I really do want to feel I have more than one option.

I still replay Full Throttle, MKI 1-3, DOTT, Sam and Max, to this day because I feel that each play-through is unique in part because I have so many options/combinations. When I look at Broken Age Act 1 I just don't get the impression I'm going to be replaying it much because it just doesn't feel as deep. Maybe Act 2 will be different but only time will tell.

In any case good work as usual on the video and well done to Double Fine for getting Act 1 out. I look forward to increased difficulty in Act 2 :)

I think a point that didn't get attention in the documentary is, that many many people don't want to play a half game, so they will buy it when act 2 is out. Acknowledging this, the sales numbers are good

yaaay a new episode!! thanks guys!

seriously though...why do you even give that refund guy the pleasure of mentioning him on the doc?? he ll just get off on that

1:47 - If not who, why? It's one thing to see a whiteboard or piece of concept art blurred out, but an individual? Curiosity piqued!

27:50 - Does it ever feel like you might be better off buying decent video cards for the stragglers rather than trying to troubleshoot compatibility on their ancient hardware?

Love the transparency in this episode. Encouraging to see good vibes prevail even in an episode chock full of jerks!

I was shocked to see that sales hadn't surpassed 100,000. Is there anywhere on the internet where I can just watch a counter of game sales slowly tick up to ease my anxiety? Really wanted this to give doublefine some breathing room to explore and be creative with Act II, although I'm sure the quality will be just the same. Guess we all just get to look forward to a little more tension in future episodes. Keep up the awesome work DF (and 2PP)!

Also, I'm sure a tablet version of this would sell well. I mean how could it not?

I was shocked to see that sales hadn't surpassed 100,000. Is there anywhere on the internet where I can just watch a counter of game sales slowly tick up to ease my anxiety? Really wanted this to give doublefine some breathing room to explore and be creative with Act II, although I'm sure the quality will be just the same. Guess we all just get to look forward to a little more tension in future episodes. Keep up the awesome work DF (and 2PP)!

Also, I'm sure a tablet version of this would sell well. I mean how could it not?

I'll be honest. I'd probably buy it again, just to add another sale to the total. Their numbers are good, but not great. 74,000-ish sales at the tail-end of two months is a bit lower than I'm sure the team would like. I know it is lower than most backers would like it to be. You figure they sold between 4-8k units on the first day (my guess is probably somewhere in the 5k range), that means the average sales per day is between 1100-1167 units sold daily. Obviously, that isn't how it actually went, but just thinking about ~1100 units a day sold is kind of... it sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. That is, assuming they get a full got of profits from sales (they do not, but I don't know what Steam actually takes and what other fees they might be required to pay), only $32,989-34,998.33 a day. For a studio like Double Fine, with its other revenue streams and stuff, that's would be okay numbers. Again, though, they're making considerably less than that though, since sales spike, peter off, and then steady off into a trend (with blips here and there, good and bad). I'd imagine, at this point, they probably sell, at most, 500 units a day and probably only half that realistically.

I think I've lost my point. My point is that, the game did well, and it is a boon for Double Fine, but its numbers aren't as good as they could have (and should have) been. So, more sales would help.

@sschwartz22

those were the results for the the first couple of hours. a week later they were at 800k ;). decent but not enough to stop pitching games to publishers.df is a biiig studio

Ah, bittersweet Chris Repo appearance at the end.

Another great episode. It's really interesting to see the launch/press situation from the inside. It certainly looked awkward from out here. It's a shame that we as a community created that by voting for backer exclusivity of information, and I hope that in the long run, the game doesn't suffer for it.

At any rate, lessons learned!

Can't wait to see where things head from here as Act 2's production ramps up.

Man, your episodes are really saving my days here. Thanks DF. Although there was a hint of sadness in this episode, I can't help but cheering for a studio as awesome as yours.

those were the results for the the first couple of hours. a week later they were at 800k ;). decent but not enough to stop pitching games to publishers.df is a biiig studio

No. I mean on March 29th, as stated at the end of the episode, their sales were 70k-ish units sold and over 1.1million in profits. That's good, for sure, but you have to consider the capital they sunk into the game (probably at least as much as the backers put into it, so two to three million of their own capital), then Broken Age hasn't yet made up its costs. It doesn't have to, yet, because it is a game that will sell for awhile and will get a boost when part 2 is finished. Double Fine isn't hurting, but it has a ways to go to get a return on their investment. Also, doing the math, it seems like I made a mistake. I misremembered the number (thought it was 74-ishk as of March 29th) and the price (I was thinking 29.99 instead of 24.99).

So, my numbers were actually over-estimating the figures. Also, it looks like Steam takes about 9-10%, at least. 70,947 units times $24.99 is ~$1,772,965.53, the episode lists the total gross as $1,674,082. That means Steam and/or other fees have eaten ~$98,883.53 from the gross. I would imagine that Broken Age, at the moment, was a net loss for the company, in terms of capital, but a net gain in terms of revenue. Although, they will need to do more traditional games to stay a float.

I loved this episode (and the game).

I am going to miss this pretty badly when it's all over.

Can someone please point me to the original version of that fanart with the bird and Grabbin' Gary?

I need it as my new wallpaper.

No. I mean on March 29th, as stated at the end of the episode, their sales were 70k-ish units sold and over 1.1million in profits. That's good, for sure, but you have to consider the capital they sunk into the game (probably at least as much as the backers put into it, so two to three million of their own capital), then Broken Age hasn't yet made up its costs. It doesn't have to, yet, because it is a game that will sell for awhile and will get a boost when part 2 is finished. Double Fine isn't hurting, but it has a ways to go to get a return on their investment. Also, doing the math, it seems like I made a mistake. I misremembered the number (thought it was 74-ishk as of March 29th) and the price (I was thinking 29.99 instead of 24.99).

So, my numbers were actually over-estimating the figures. Also, it looks like Steam takes about 9-10%, at least. 70,947 units times $24.99 is ~$1,772,965.53, the episode lists the total gross as $1,674,082. That means Steam and/or other fees have eaten ~$98,883.53 from the gross. I would imagine that Broken Age, at the moment, was a net loss for the company, in terms of capital, but a net gain in terms of revenue. Although, they will need to do more traditional games to stay a float.

I actually missed that :) As soon as the credits went up, I started browsing so I didnt see the information about the units sold and revenue.

Wow. Only after watching this video did I realise that I never understood the ending of part one. That's... actually very cool!

Hi everyone! Thanks for watching the episode and for being so supportive! You have always been the best! :)

For those of you looking for a particular piece of fan art, you can find most of it here on our tumblr:

http://doublefine.tumblr.com/tagged/fanart-friday

Does anybody else sometimes see the phrase "fan art" and read it as "fart?" My brain does that all the time. Embarrassing. Well, I guess it wasn't embarrassing until I said it out loud.

[edit] oh my god I just discovered something amazing. If you look at that top piece of fart--I mean fan art, where Shay and Vella are jumping up and down, while you listen to Secret Grotto on Terence's album, Shay and Vella jump up and down perfectly with the music. http://lifeformed.bandcamp.com/track/secret-grotto

Wait, is that amazing or am I just sleepy?

Or both?

Hi everyone! Thanks for watching the episode and for being so supportive! You have always been the best! :)

For those of you looking for a particular piece of fan art, you can find most of it here on our tumblr:

http://doublefine.tumblr.com/tagged/fanart-friday

Does anybody else sometimes see the phrase "fan art" and read it as "fart?" My brain does that all the time. Embarrassing. Well, I guess it wasn't embarrassing until I said it out loud.

[edit] oh my god I just discovered something amazing. If you look at that top piece of fart--I mean fan art, where Shay and Vella are jumping up and down, while you listen to Secret Grotto on Terence's album, Shay and Vella jump up and down perfectly with the music. http://lifeformed.bandcamp.com/track/secret-grotto

Wait, is that amazing or am I just sleepy?

Or both?

It is used, or was used, by some in an online community for a Webcomic that I belong(ed) too. F-Art is always amusing. You're never too old to be amused by a good f-art joke.

Also, it does sync. Though, cool, it's not all that amazing since it'd probably sync with nearly any song that is in the same time as that piece (too lazy too actually suss it out, so I'm assuming it is in common time). Breadtime seems to be in sync as well, for example.

Sign in to follow this