Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 15: Evergreen Games

Holy crap that Digital Trends article pissed me off... and the comments from the people that work there pissed me off even more!

MASSIVE DOUCHE HOLES!

Definitely. I will never visit that site again, for as long as I live.

I enjoyed this episode, it was definitely interesting to see how everything surrounding the release went down. I have to say I did find the situation of the early release a little strange, because as much as I liked getting my copy in advance, here I was playing through it, talking to my friends about it, and yet at that time they were unable to buy it and play it themselves. I completed it in that first couple of days, so by the time it did go on general sale over a week later it had already left my mind and I was talking to my friends about other things. I don't know how much of an impact that sort of thing might have had on word-of-mouth sales in general, but I did notice that none of my Steam friends ended up buying a copy.

Holy crap that Digital Trends article pissed me off... and the comments from the people that work there pissed me off even more!

The whole article, along with their weak attempts to justify it in the comments section, only served to remind me what a largely parasitic industry journalism tends to be. It's just a shame that working with them is a necessary evil in many fields.

The bottom line is that the guy who wrote it wanted a scoop. He wanted his name out there, he wanted traffic to his site, and he thought he'd found the perfect loophole to do it. He can try to dress it up all he likes in an attempt to justify his actions to himself as well as everyone else, but deep down he knows that his behaviour was neither appropriate or respectable.

1) Great to see a new episode and kudos for being so transparent about the sales figures.

2) I was surprised to find that the design of Act II hasn't been finalized, yet.

3) I really think that the time delay between the reviews appearing on the web and the game

actually being downloadable for the public hurt sales.

4) I'm very optimistic about sales on iOS. The game seems to be perfect for that platform.

5) I also believe that there will be another jump in sales as soon as the complete game is available.

Hopefully the reviews will be better timed then.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but this episode does contain a spoiler: Nobody knew for sure what Alex's story was. Now we know he was a Grand Mog himself.

Wasn't that obvious from Act I already?

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but this episode does contain a spoiler: Nobody knew for sure what Alex's story was. Now we know he was a Grand Mog himself.

Wasn't that obvious from Act I already?

No, there was still many huge question marks over how Alex fitted into the overall story. For a start, his ship looked nothing like Shay's -- inside or out. And although we knew he was part of Project Dandelion, we didn't know precisely what that meant -- does it always relate to Mogs? And finally, nobody in the town talks about his ships ruins as being what was left after they slayed a Mog -- which is really strange if you think about it.

2) I was surprised to find that the design of Act II hasn't been finalized, yet.

THIS, I was actually really taken-aback by this.

Actually, I was RELIEVED by this. ;-)

I wasn't surprised. It's clear they know where they're going with act 2 - replaying Act 1 there are several hints at future puzzles, but releasing it in 2 acts was an opportunity to see how their design held up, so it would have been foolish to finalise the act 2 design before being able to get that feedback.

I wasn't surprised. It's clear they know where they're going with act 2 - replaying Act 1 there are several hints at future puzzles, but releasing it in 2 acts was an opportunity to see how their design held up, so it would have been foolish to finalise the act 2 design before being able to get that feedback.

I've been rewatching the Doc, and it is even more illuminating now I think. In one of the later episodes, maybe 12 or 13, Tim is in a conference room sitting in front of a whiteboard, that has Act 2 on it, and he talks about making the puzzles more difficult since the player will have been trained through Act 1 how things work. So he probably had base of everything designed it sounded like, and and based on episode 15 he'll probably mostly just look into tweaking and adjustments. But who knows!

Smiles

...so I was thinking "I wonder how long until the next episode! It must be just about time! Is it nearly here?"

Came to the forums and discovered that this one was only two weeks ago.

AW MAN!

...so I was thinking "I wonder how long until the next episode! It must be just about time! Is it nearly here?"

AW MAN!

I feel your pain. That is why I started rewatching it all, ha. It was interesting to see the actual in-game work everyone was doing throughout the episodes, since I can now place everyone's early concept drawings, or early animation, or the cutscenes, etc.

Smiles

AW MAN!

I feel your pain. That is why I started rewatching it all, ha. It was interesting to see the actual in-game work everyone was doing throughout the episodes, since I can now place everyone's early concept drawings, or early animation, or the cutscenes, etc.

Sounds like a good idea!

I noticed that blurred-out person near the beginning of the episode too! And so far no one's responded about that! Ooh, secrets...

And when did Chris Remo say he was leaving and why did he leave?! The first I heard about it was another post on the forum maybe a month back that referenced it, and then I found out for certain after I watched this episode. As a once-again-lurker on these forums (which I have gone back to being to avoid spoilers regarding Act 2), I obviously missed the announcement if any was made.

Are there any videos coming out soon? Maybe a sidequest to hold us over until the next episode probably late next month?

Are there any videos coming out soon? Maybe a sidequest to hold us over until the next episode probably late next month?

Yeah, my DF documentary cravings are getting really strong again.

BTW, you guys know that you have to find some way to come up with an Act 3, right? How would you continue these documentaries otherwise?

The 2PP crew was in Japan for a while and then there was all of PAX and GDC and stuff. I'm sure they've been shooting, but I doubt there was any time to put together a sidequest or anything. I'm listening to Sun Bleach by Lifeformed right now and it helps with the withdrawal.

That doesn't help. That just makes me want it more because I've associated that tune with the documentaries so heavily ha ha.

But didn't know 2PP was out. I hope at least the next episode won't slide back and will release next month. I still miss it being a monthly thing but I'm greedy that way.

One thing that we could have done differently with the beta review embargo is treat the backer beta period like any other company handles their betas. Specifically, make everyone who wants the beta sign an NDA. Or click on a box that says you accept these NDA terms. That's what I had to do to be in the beta for Battle Block Theater. That's what you have to do for almost any beta.

I'm not sure that would really make people happy, though. It would just make clearer the responsibility that comes along with exclusive, early access.

Pretty much my feelings too on the matter.

If you ever get the opportunity to do this again do not offer beta or early access as Kickstarter rewards. State everyone will get the game the same day it unlocks on Steam for those who buy it no if's or but's and stick to that line no matter how much complaining is done in the comments.

If you want to do a public beta then only offer it to a random selection of backers (not determined by donation level) and make them sign NDA's to weed out wannabe game journo's.

Even major game sites are staring to offer "reviews" of early access games so there is just no point in repeating the same trap that Broken Age fell into with it's confusing launch.

P.S. If you do happen to do another Kickstarter adventure game my suggestions would be content over quality (lower your production values, less animation, lower res art etc) and something a little more serious in tone ala Full Throttle or The Dig that feels a different to BA. Try and keep it as small budget as possible and don't go into KS asking for 1 mill.

Keep up the great work Tim and all of Doublefine.

Well, a beta test is valuable for development so foregoing it entirely might not be wise. Tesla Effect did a limited beta, essentially letting people beta test the demo, a single 2-hour portion of the game. Something like that could be a possible comprise (although it didn't go over too well with Tesla Effect's backers).

I don't see any reason that a kick-starter could not simply stipulate as part of the terms of a backer level that early access was contingent of signing a NDA/media embargo agreement... then if people wanted early access they could back and sign and if they didn't care for early access they could back and not sign... making it clear upfront would ensure that press backers didn't invest expecting a scoop but everyone would be able to play early if they were willing to agree to the terms.

I don't think the 'deal' is really on our end probably. Who wants to enforce a NDA? It is likely just easier and more effective to be open and out in the public.

Anyways, look forward the next episode. I've got a hankering for it all.

Smiles

Sorry if I haven't been keeping up to date on development stuff lately as I've been dealing with some personal issues, but wasn't Part 2 originally supposed to be released in the May timeframe?

EDIT: And just as I posted that Greg posted an update to Kickstarter. lol @ my silly timing.

Is there a way for us slacker backers to read that update? Or do you need to be a Kickstarter backer to read it?

@DoubleFine

I have thoroughly enjoyed the game and the documentary series. Just to see you guys work and the energy and personal sacrifice you all have made is so inspiring and refreshing. Thank you for everything and thank you for being fucking honest with everything. This world is in short supply of that, and to see a team such as Double Fine just putting it all out for all to share and enjoy is damn flapper jack fucking amazing :) Keep doing what you do, and when you reach that "Oh SHIT GUYS WE'RE PUBLISHER DEPENDENT FREE" moment, keep being the Double Fine we all grew to love. I have not finished Act I as of yet. Very little time to play and it irks shit not being able to.

Andre AKA Pixelboi (^|^)

Sign in to follow this