Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DVersion

Main character still female?

Is the main character still female? She was in the prototype but was it changed for the main release?

According to this post on the official Hack 'n' Slash blog, yes!

Meet Alice, the heroine of Hack ‘n’ Slash! Art director Mark Hamer worked on a lot of iterations to her design over the course of development. We spent a lot of time finding her personality by exploring both her appearance and her expressions.

I wonder if the main character is still secretly the Princess (or her twin) like in the prototype.

Ideally whatever the result is will be more creative than the cliche "rescue the princess" setup the trailer implied. That's the one disappointing thing I've heard from this game, and even if it is tradition it still feels like a letdown considering how subversive and unique the rest of the game is shaping up to be.

I'd definitely appreciate that because random cosmetic variable changes sound awesome, but it's more I'm not a fan of the damsel in distress story regardless of who's in distress at this point.

Pyradox, I wouldn't take that commercial TOO seriously. I honestly have no idea how much of it was meant to reflect the actual game and how much was just nostalgia induced. It was pretty tongue-in-cheek.

Being able to gender-hack people would be pretty funny. I kinda doubt it'll happen though because it means creating new assets for the gender-swapped character. Sounds a bit expensive.Maybe it could happen as a one-off but probably not as part of the core loop.

The legendary fake Peter Molydeux approves the gender-swapping idea.

But personally, I think it wouldn't make much sense from a traditional game design perspective being just a variable. I believe the game is more likely to give the players tools to rewrite the game's script and assets instead to do so.

Speaking of Molydeux, I hope reprogramming the entire game to anything will be possible as well. So far, the closest thing I've seen is arbitrary execution exploits in tool-assisted speedruns.

Fake Molydeux? Unless there's someone else parodying Molyneux that I don't know about, surely that's the real Molydeux?

I dunno, rescuing the princess is a kinda horrible cliche trope at this point for multiple reasons, but there are possibilities - especially in a game where the main point is going around the traditional rules - to subvert it, if that's where the game is going. It's already somewhat mitigated by the fact that the main character is also a girl - and not going to lie I got to that part of the trailer and immediately thought lesbians and then got really excited. They're still rare on the gaming front, unless you count games where you can choose your gender and still have relationships with multiple genders (which, for various reasons, I mostly don't) and it's even rarer for a queer girl to be the main character.

Honestly I would be okay trading damsel in distress for lesbians if they were written well and respectfully, is what I'm trying to say. I have more thoughts about it, and I'm probably still going to buy the game regardless, but lesbian zelda-esque action game!!!!!!

I got to that part of the trailer and immediately thought lesbians and then got really excited.
Rescuing the princess and romantically involved with the princess are not the same thing. A cliché I hate even more than rescuing the princess is the female character automatically falling in love with the main character. There are lots of other reasons to defeat evil. (Mario actually started that way. The manual for the original game had Mario never having met the princess. Bowser kidnapped her for political reasons, not sexual/romantic and Mario was rescuing her for same.)

Rescuing the princess and romantically involved with the princess are not the same thing. A cliché I hate even more than rescuing the princess is the female character automatically falling in love with the main character.

True. But an opportunity for romance =/= romance being shoehorned in without caring about character development or pacing (as happens in so many Rescue the Princess/Girlfriend/Female Prize games, I know). There's plenty of room for exploration and inversion of those tropes even with a romance between the princess and the protagonist, but as we're just speculating at this point I'll probably wait until I actually play the game to decide how I feel about how they handle it. A platonic, political relationship between the two has the potential to be interesting as well, or equally as awkward and forced as romance would be. It depends on how well the developers handle the relationship.

Sign in to follow this