Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SmashManiac

Secret message on Amnesia Fortnight 2012 Collector's Edition slipcase

I was trying to see if the prototype was still available for purchase, and I noticed that there was a Collector's Edition slipcase for the prototype available with the Amnesia Fortnight Special Edition Box Set:

web_hacknslash.png

I don't think the substitution cypher in the bottom-left has ever been brought up before, so I just wanted to let you guys know of its existence. For those of you that own the prototype to decode it and missed that slipcase, this may be a fun diversion before the full game gets released.

Looks interesting, and like the same cipher used in the game, but I wonder if there's a higher resolution? It's going to be really hard to read otherwise.

Which honestly I would if that didn't translate to like a billion dollars when you live in New Zealand.

I have a scanner and own the slipcase, but I haven't it here where I am at the moment. :/

I had the chance to be in the periphery of my Hack & Slash slipcase cover recently, so I made a scan of it, just for you! :)

I cropped everything but the message for file size reasons.

Hack & Slash Prototype Boxart Encrypted Message.jpg

578d00720da0a_HackSlashPrototypeBoxartEn

I believe this is the full message. Some capitals use their own symbols and there are duplicate symbols for some letters (like e), but I'm pretty sure at least most of this is right.

You are the hero foretold by the legends!

Set forth on a voyage of adventure and discovery. Face vicious monsters,

trick castle guards, meet magical friends, and uncover deeply hidden secrets

in a world full of mystery and intrigue.

The gods have created this world and placed you in it for a mysterious

purpose, but there work is not complete. Uncover the secrets of the world,

fight your way through dangerous enemies and deadly traps, and dismantle the

very underpinnings of reality.

Look behind the curtains of the world to the skull beneath the face. Shatter

it into a million pieces and reassemble it to your liking. There is no arcane

secret you cannot uncover. No magic you cannot unravel. You are the Destroyer

and the New Creator. I want you to understand who you are and why you are

here, hacker.

Your decoding matches mine, with one exception. I'm fairly certain it's "as the skull", not "to the skull".

Aww yeah I remember decoding this the evening my Blu-ray turned up, wish I'd thought to scan it in & blow it up rather than squinting at the teensy text.

Brandon's signature also says "Thank you" in the cypher :).

Your decoding matches mine, with one exception. I'm fairly certain it's "as the skull", not "to the skull".

Dug out my decoding and I had "at" *shrug*

Hmm... you know what? That word is hard to read, and if you look carefully, the top-half appears to be the encrypted version and the bottom-half the plain-text version. Based on that, "at" would indeed make more sense. I originally dismissed that possibility because I couldn't make heads or tails of that sentence, but I think you're right after all.

Sign in to follow this