Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Geek95

Humble Mobile Bundle 5 includes The Cave

I was just thinking the other week how awesome it would be if The Cave was in a Humble Bundle. Thank you Double Fine for fulfilling my wish!

The Cave is now one of the beat the average games on the Humble Mobile Bundle 5.

Too bad the Ouya version is not included :/

Edit: It actually is, see below.

Edit 2: Actually, it actually isn't.

I bought Humble Mobile Bundle 5 and downloaded The Cave and other games. All other games I can install without problems, but The Cave starts installing and after a while it states it can not be installed. I've double checked the md5 hash and it is correct. I've freed 4,5GB of space and still I can not install this game. Any help?

I take everything back. If you sideload the Humble Bundle version to your Ouya, it runs just fine, including controller support. Great job, Double Fine! :D

I bought Humble Mobile Bundle 5 and downloaded The Cave and other games. All other games I can install without problems, but The Cave starts installing and after a while it states it can not be installed. I've double checked the md5 hash and it is correct. I've freed 4,5GB of space and still I can not install this game. Any help?

I have the same problem. Please fix or tell how to solve it!

I have the same problem. Please fix or tell how to solve it!

If I were you guys, I'd write an email instead of relying on DF staff to find these posts.

I take everything back. If you sideload the Humble Bundle version to your Ouya, it runs just fine, including controller support. Great job, Double Fine! :D

Thanks stomp9 for pointing out that while the sideloaded app does work and does include controller support, it also thinks it is the trial version and will ask you to buy the full game that you already own after the monster :/

Any chance this behavior can be fixed, Double Fine? (And yes, I will follow my own advice and write an e-mail ;) )

@mudd1 Can you post back here when you hear back from them?

@mudd1 Can you post back here when you hear back from them?

Will do but I've only got a confusing reply so far that claims that the Humble Bundle apk is different from the Ouya store version and doesn't fully support controller input. My experience is pretty much the opposite in that controllers work fine but the Ouya API is too much taken into account. I did write them something along those lines but haven't heard back yet.

Controller support is definitely in there. It works great on my NVIDIA SHIELD. didn't even need to use the gamepad mapper.

Thanks stomp9 for pointing out that while the sideloaded app does work and does include controller support, it also thinks it is the trial version and will ask you to buy the full game that you already own after the monster :/

Any chance this behavior can be fixed, Double Fine? (And yes, I will follow my own advice and write an e-mail ;) )

I have had this exact same problem, and thus far been unable to get any response at all from Double Fine about it, and gotten mostly no help as yet from Ouya, either, tho at least Ouya CLAIMS that they're "looking into it".

If I were you guys, I'd write an email instead of relying on DF staff to find these posts.

I ttried this over a month ago, and they never replied.

I think it's fair to say they don't care about the problem, maybe because it doesn't affect a high enough proportion of their customers or maybe because they are focusing on newer games instead.

Which is all a shame for me because it's the only thing in the the humble bundle I actually wanted to play!

I think it's fair to say they don't care about the problem, maybe because it doesn't affect a high enough proportion of their customers or maybe because they are focusing on newer games instead.

Which is all a shame for me because it's the only thing in the the humble bundle I actually wanted to play!

Same here but I guess from their perspective it's "So there are a couple of guys who already paid for our game and were hoping they could play it on a platform that was never mentioned and now we have the choice to either be the nice guys and invest some work to let them play it for free or we just do nothing and let them pay us again. Huh."

It's perfectly understandable why they would go the dick route here but I just wish they'd been more honest about it and told us "sorry pals, not gonna happen" instead of giving some spurious argumentation that makes no sense whatsoever and then ignore our mails. That's really not cool.

Same here but I guess from their perspective it's "So there are a couple of guys who already paid for our game and were hoping they could play it on a platform that was never mentioned and now we have the choice to either be the nice guys and invest some work to let them play it for free or we just do nothing and let them pay us again. Huh."

It's perfectly understandable why they would go the dick route here but I just wish they'd been more honest about it and told us "sorry pals, not gonna happen" instead of giving some spurious argumentation that makes no sense whatsoever and then ignore our mails. That's really not cool.

Wait, what? "play it on a platform that was never mentioned"? I could SWEAR Android was mentioned. Just because it's on an Ouya instead of a tablet or phone doesn't make it magically NOT Android somehow. As to the "let them play it for free", I PAID to play it, and as it stands, I don't get to. As to being "perfectly understandable", it's really not. I tend to pay above average for Humble Bundles so that I can give a reasonable portion to charity AND to the game devs. I sorta expect those devs to fix showstopper bugs before they give up and stop maintaining their product that folk pay for in good faith. My mistake. I guess that's just not how it's done these days...

Wait, what? "play it on a platform that was never mentioned"? I could SWEAR Android was mentioned. Just because it's on an Ouya instead of a tablet or phone doesn't make it magically NOT Android somehow. As to the "let them play it for free", I PAID to play it, and as it stands, I don't get to. As to being "perfectly understandable", it's really not. I tend to pay above average for Humble Bundles so that I can give a reasonable portion to charity AND to the game devs. I sorta expect those devs to fix showstopper bugs before they give up and stop maintaining their product that folk pay for in good faith. My mistake. I guess that's just not how it's done these days...

Well, it's actually pretty rare that any of the Android bundle apks work on the Ouya. At least without using the touch area on the controller which for most games equals "unplayable".

Don't get me wrong. I understand why you're upset and I'm upset, too. I did say Double Fine were being dicks for not fixing this. But the "good faith" thing is crucial. You couldn't rely on the game working on the Ouya so you can't hold them accountable. From a business point of view it pays to be a dick if it doesn't affect enough people to seriously harm your reputation. That's what I meant when I said I understand their decision. Not that I approve of it. Just that they're a company and companies inherently suck. It's the law.

Hi folks.

First, inappropriate names in reference to anyone--including us--are not allowed, mudd1. Please refrain from that in future posts.

As to the issue of the DRM-free Android build on Ouya, unfortunately that version of The Cave is not supported on Ouya. We recommend you purchase the Ouya version from the Marketplace for the best possible experience.

Some of you have contacted us privately about this, and we apologize if there was mixed messaging in the responses. I understand completely if you're upset about this. I encourage you to follow up with us again to see how we can help improve your experience with our games. We really appreciate your feedback.

I'm locking this thread and will the update the FAQs accordingly.