Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Geek95

AF2014 Collectors Edition and Video Downloads?

Anybody in on this have an update? It's now been over a year since Amnesia Fortnight 2014 ended.

Update on where we are now:

- The new, simplified menus have been designed

- Disc 1 (the core series) has been built, tested for bugs/issues, and is getting some minor touch ups on the last few episodes.

- Disc 2 (special features, and the simpler of the 2) is getting built/tested next.

We understand folks have been waiting for these for a while now. As always, the root cause of any delay is making sure we're shipping you something that's up to our standards (within the limitations of our available resources) and not broken. I'll let you know when everything's done and we've sent them away for manufacturing.

As always, the root cause of any delay is making sure we're shipping you something that's up to our standards (within the limitations of our available resources) and not broken. I'll let you know when everything's done and we've sent them away for manufacturing.

No worries, thanks for the update and assuring we're getting the best cuts possible. Hope to see more 2PP docs after Broken Age, too!

I'm sorry, I can't see how this could take over a year to put together. The main documentary was shot and edited over what, two, three weeks? What did that leave, a recap episode, special features and menus? My god, the digital downloads aren't even up yet! You can blame allocating resources all you want, but here's what happened: we allocated our resources to you, and you allocated yours somewhere else. I guess you guys have been at Double Fine so long that their philosophy of "take money now, deliver bad news later" has rubbed off on you.

I think the work 2PP does is groundbreaking. Between the DFA doc and the Massive Chalice teamstreams, they've done great strides in pushing the boundaries of what documentary filmmaking can show. And wow, there's still only three people on the team, AFAIK. I understand filming and editing takes time. When I edit Shakespeare in the Park videos for my local troupe, it takes weeks, if not months, and I'm not doing any audio mixing, titles, or disc mastering, and mine is all single camera, one tripod.

Plus, I have no quality control. My edited videos still look like junk. :D

I think the work 2PP does is groundbreaking. Between the DFA doc and the Massive Chalice teamstreams, they've done great strides in pushing the boundaries of what documentary filmmaking can show. And wow, there's still only three people on the team, AFAIK. I understand filming and editing takes time.

Likewise. It took me a good ten hours to put together the little teaser below for an album I play guitar on, and it's only a minute long. I can't image how long it takes to cut together full episodes. The wait is frustrating, sure, but overall I think 2PP is doing an amazing job. They're easily the most talented video production crew in gaming.

That's a totally reasonable opinion. (And seriously, nice work on that teaser, cavefish!) I've done amateur editing and worked on (small-budget) movies, so I know the work that can go into it, especially if you care about detail. I admit 2PP does quality work -- I bought the blu-ray after all. But to the two posters above me: are you full-time, professional film makers/editors, and have you ever overshot a client or a customer's deadline by, what is it now, 9 months? What do you think that would do to your career or your business? Anyway, there was a post 7 months ago in this thread claiming that they were "finishing everything up" with an audio "polish pass" and a "small hurdle with asset creation for the menus." The actual episodes aired daily in near real time, which is an incredibly impressive feat that only makes this delay all the more inexplicable.

There's nothing wrong with being cool with that, but I wanted to make it clear that that sentiment is definitely not shared by all.

My god. is this thing still on?

It's almost year passed.

(And I remember that these Blu-ray will ship on 2014 summer.)

Is there something wrong?

(sorry for bad english tho)

My god. is this thing still on?

It's almost year passed.

(And I remember that these Blu-ray will ship on 2014 summer.)

Is there something wrong?

(sorry for bad english tho)

Actually it's been well over a year now. I've come to terms with the fact that I've wasted my money and will never see this. Pitty.

I actually forgot about this. I'm excited to get it late because honesty, if I got the DVD soon after AF I might not have even watched. I binged on the episodes as they came out so I was sort of done with it for a while. But now it's been long enough that I look forward to binging again.

Thanks 2pp again! I consider every penny that went to you guys very well spent!

I'm tired of waiting for something that's never coming out. Who do I talk to about getting a refund?

How many people had donated $35 to get this? It's been over a year. I feel duped, in a way. I wanted to support Double Fine's practice of providing people with behind the scenes looks into their development process, which is why I ponied up the $35.

I've also been putting off playing the prototypes until I received the Blu-ray, but the wait has been SO long.

Since the Blu-ray is apparently so close to being finished, how about giving us a hard date?

I think I've finally got this figured out. Never pre-order from Doublefine.

Is there any chance of a reasonably solid release date?

I had completely forgotten I'd ordered the Blu-Ray - only occurred to me now there was probably a thread about it, good to see some updates had been going on but would definitely have appreciated the odd email or two - thanks for the hard work - I'm still looking forward to it :) I've got digi downloads for AF 2012 and DFA but would be keen on buying blu-ray for them too - any chance of a re-release of those?

Wow I never would have believed there would be this kind of delay. I went looking through my email thinking the Blu-ray must have got lost in transit. Wouldn't have guessed until I looked through the forums that it hasn't even been made yet (pressed anyway).

This is really disappointing, some sort of a notification via humble or otherwise would have been nice too.

Just started going through the double fine adventure documentary videos which prompted me to go looking for these. I never did watch them on youtube guess I didn't notice they were there and was too busy at the time to go look for them.

Disappointing that when you couldn't deliver the Blu-ray on time that provision wasn't made with humble for some download options.

I'm generally quite understanding about delays and obviously I wasn't in a hurry but I can see this would have upset and really annoyed a lot of fans who were hanging out for this.

Communication should have been a higher priority here and gone beyond just forum threads.

Amnesia Fortnight 2016 (would take some convincing now to get people to order a BRD for that).

Disappointed but hopeful I'll get the Blu-ray before the next amnesia fortnight.

Oh well I have a youtube downloading tool and let it run last night. Now have a download of the documentary to watch at my leisure. I'm sure I'm probably violating some youtube terms and conditions, but what google don't notice in their massive data analysis won't hurt them :)

Just put out an update (beyond the forums) to let people know where it stands and I'll wait a bit longer for my old school disc based access.

You can order the 2012 Collectors Edition at the DF shop: http://shop.doublefine.com/products/amnesia-fortnight-special-edition-box-set

2PP have also said they plan on making extra DFA physical copies for the shop as well.

Hadn't thought about getting the 2012 series on Blu-ray. I'll keep that in mind for when / if the Australian currency levels a bit higher against the US Dollar.

Yeah, I really forgot about the AF2014 blu-rays! I dunno why they took so much longer to make than the AF2012 ones?

I was in a similar situation to you guys. I initially assumed I'd never ordered the physical discs in the first place, because surely if I had they'd have arrived months ago, right? Upon further investigation I found my receipt emails and ended up here.

I don't mind the wait so much, but some better communication would be great.

Hello all,

Many apologies on the crazy lateness of these discs. The various documentary / game launching stuff going on has no doubt impacted the workload!

I'll try to keep you updated with every stage as they crawl to the finish line though, just poke me when you want more info and i'll go find it out!

Where are the discs? At the moment they are all edited up, and the team are working on the menus.

These are also not tooooo far from being completed, but some art and music still needs to be worked on.

Once work on these is complete, we can send them to manufacturing and then onwards to you guys.

once again, apologies for this madness.

What Spaff says meshes with what Fangamer told me earlier via email; they are still waiting on the discs from 2PP.

What Spaff says meshes with what Fangamer told me earlier via email; they are still waiting on the discs from 2PP.

I've emailed Fangamer twice about a refund over the past two weeks and haven't heard anything back. How long did it take them to respond to you?

I've emailed Fangamer twice about a refund over the past two weeks and haven't heard anything back. How long did it take them to respond to you?

I emailed them yesterday and got a response today at about 2pm EDT. I used their "orders" email found in large text on their Help page. I'm not sure why they haven't gotten back to you. (Unless you're trying to get a refund for AF2014, which would be silly.)

I emailed them yesterday and got a response today at about 2pm EDT. I used their "orders" email found in large text on their Help page. I'm not sure why they haven't gotten back to you. (Unless you're trying to get a refund for AF2014, which would be silly.)

How would that be silly?

How would that be silly?

Because Fangamer doesn't sell it. As far as I can tell, AF2014 is and has only ever been sold via Humble, and the promised physical copies were only offered as part of the Humble promotion early last year, which means you would need to seek a refund from Humble. (Who would in turn have to tell Fangamer not to ship you a copy. (Assuming they'll even allow that.))

Fangamer's role in all this appears to be solely distribution of the physical copies promised to Humble customers who paid for it. Not to say Fangamer won't receive stock of physical copies to sell at some point in the future, but at this point they don't have any to sell.

How would that be silly?

Because Fangamer doesn't sell it. As far as I can tell, AF2014 is and has only ever been sold via Humble, and the promised physical copies were only offered as part of the Humble promotion early last year, which means you would need to seek a refund from Humble. (Who would in turn have to tell Fangamer not to ship you a copy. (Assuming they'll even allow that.))

Fangamer's role in all this appears to be solely distribution of the physical copies promised to Humble customers who paid for it. Not to say Fangamer won't receive stock of physical copies to sell at some point in the future, but at this point they don't have any to sell.

The order code I received definitely came from Fangamer, and in fact the email I got regarding my pre-order told me to email Fangamer if I had any questions or anything about the pre-order.

At the very least, I would expect Fangamer themselves to tell me as such rather than flat out ignoring me.

Edit: Yep, double checked the email and it definitely says to contact Fangamer if you have any questions or problems with the order.

Sign in to follow this