Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Geek95

AF2014 Collectors Edition and Video Downloads?

The order code I received definitely came from Fangamer, and in fact the email I got regarding my pre-order told me to email Fangamer if I had any questions or anything about the pre-order.

At the very least, I would expect Fangamer themselves to tell me as such rather than flat out ignoring me.

I don't disagree--Fangamer should've responded to you by now, and the confirmation email probably should've had a better explanation of Fangamer's role--I'm just trying to provide some context.

The order code I received definitely came from Fangamer, and in fact the email I got regarding my pre-order told me to email Fangamer if I had any questions or anything about the pre-order.

At the very least, I would expect Fangamer themselves to tell me as such rather than flat out ignoring me.

I don't disagree--Fangamer should've responded to you by now, and the confirmation email probably should've had a better explanation of Fangamer's role--I'm just trying to provide some context.

It's cool. Honestly, what upsets me the most is just constantly being ignored by Double Fine and Fangamer.

That update by Spaff says they're working on menus. They've been working on the menus since at least January, and then said they had to get more basic menus because the guys at DF couldn't help them anymore. Now they're still working on menus? Now they're saying they need to work on some music as well? What? We're just getting mixed messages, very slowly, and no one really seems to care. None of the updates are directly addressing the concerns raised here.

I tell you, if this were EA or Ubisoft doing this, the gaming world would be tearing them a new a-hole right about now.

I tell you, if this were EA or Ubisoft doing this, the gaming world would be tearing them a new a-hole right about now.

That's probably true but that is also because both of those companies have a lot more resources to devote to something like this unlike 2 Player & Double Fine. But it's a moot point as they also wouldn't be bothered in trying to do something like this for their fans anyway, let alone let the public be involved with any of their prototyping.

Indie developers can be more open about their processes but also they aren't as fast or always able to deliver everything they want to when they said they would. Yes, this process is taking a lot longer than anyone had planned but they still intend to deliver on what they said they woud give and they just ask for paitence. You also have to take into consideration that the game and documentary have been their main focus for a while now with good reason and this little side project has to wait it's turn. I'm hoping now that Broken Age is out and the documentary is nearly finished they will be able to put more time into this.

I do agree that the lack of communication has been an issue but most of that was due to the fact that DF went for quite a while without a dedicated community manager before Spaff joined the team and 2PP themselves are a very small & busy team that doesn't have the time to answer every question we ask as much as we want them to.

Yes, but they could monitor this topic as it seems it is the central topic where we wonder if those video will ever be available as download and as blu-ray. The communication about it as been less than acceptable.

The videos been available to download since the end of the fortnight and it has been said that the discs will be coming but not sure when. I'm not saying it's perfect but there has been a basic amount of communication.

The videos been available to download since the end of the fortnight and it has been said that the discs will be coming but not sure when. I'm not saying it's perfect but there has been a basic amount of communication.

Where do you download the videos for this? I guess I missed an update somewhere I ended up ripping them with a tool I use for grabbing youtube videos.

Exactly. I even missed half of the amnesia fortnight because there wasn't even a notice that it would be available on YouTube instead of the Humble page as it was the case the for the previous AF. Then I went to Youtube. And there is no other place that I know of where I can download the videos (and we need a 3rd party tool).

Sorry, got confused with the previous Amnesia Fortnight for a bit there regarding downloads being available. So yeah I was wrong on that part, and they should at least be able to be made available by now especially as they must be good enough for the disc version.

I don't think its accurate to say there's a basic amount communication going on when we only get one update every two months, and whenever we do get an update they say the same thing. "We're working on the menu's and it's almost done." Which is what they've been saying since November. Perhaps no progress has been made in five months or more, but I would like them to actually admit as such rather than just role out the same company line over and over again. Its condescending more than anything else.

Hi everybody! I don't think there's much point in continuing to apologize for these things being late, everyone is sick of hearing it at this point right? I promise I want them to be done waaaayyy more than anyone. We're still sorry though, but also for not keeping you guys updated. There are plenty of reasons why they keep running into issues, and i'm not trying to make excuses, it's just been really tough.

The post-production finishing process with our newer cameras is far more complicated than the ones we shot AF2012 with, much more than anticipated. On top of that, we outsourced the disc and asset building last year to a professional who hated the process so much that he constantly dodged any commitment to do 2014, leaving us to find someone else. Well the replacement person didn't like it very much either, so after lots of work in a certain direction was started and never finished, I've now had to learn how to author discs from the ground up and rebuild both of the menus.

This process also involved troubleshoot numerous weird production glitches that would cause things like audio falling out of sync, or entire frames of red that would randomly pop up within 6 and half hours of footage. Every time you think a disc is potentially finished you have to sit and watch every second of the whole thing for errors, and AF 2014 is almost 10 hours long.

We're now pretty much done with the video content, so are now working on the menus, and we're hoping to get these discs manufactured in the not too distant future.

Some time over the next week we're going to upload a lot of the video content to the Humble Bundle page so you can access the content digitally. That includes the daily doc series and the new final episode, the team playthroughs, and any other special features that wound up on the discs. I would like to get a VHX page for this content similar to what we have for DFA so access is a bit easier.

The silver lining to all this is that production on the Double Fine Adventure discs is starting to ramp up, and we've essentially worked out all the kinks in the production flow and know how to approach making those discs.

I appreciate the update, I really do. Thank you. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as difficult but the lack of updates and being ignored by Fangamer was starting to get under my skin. I wish we could have some kind of definitive timetable, but I understand why we can't have one. I also know that neither 2PP nor Double Fine will take the money and run, but this lack of communication and the same update telling us the same thing over and over again was and to some degree still is getting out of hand.

I appreciate the update, I really do. Thank you. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as difficult but the lack of updates and being ignored by Fangamer was starting to get under my skin. I wish we could have some kind of definitive timetable, but I understand why we can't have one. I also know that neither 2PP nor Double Fine will take the money and run, but this lack of communication and the same update telling us the same thing over and over again was and to some degree still is getting out of hand.

I wanted to thank Paul as well, but I couldn't find the words. Really any communication, even if it's what we don't want to hear, is much better than no communication at all.

Hi everybody! I don't think there's much point in continuing to apologize for these things being late, everyone is sick of hearing it at this point right? I promise I want them to be done waaaayyy more than anyone. We're still sorry though, but also for not keeping you guys updated. There are plenty of reasons why they keep running into issues, and i'm not trying to make excuses, it's just been really tough.

Some time over the next week we're going to upload a lot of the video content to the Humble Bundle page so you can access the content digitally. That includes the daily doc series and the new final episode, the team playthroughs, and any other special features that wound up on the discs. I would like to get a VHX page for this content similar to what we have for DFA so access is a bit easier.

The silver lining to all this is that production on the Double Fine Adventure discs is starting to ramp up, and we've essentially worked out all the kinks in the production flow and know how to approach making those discs.

Thanks for the update. I think the lack of information and regular updates was what was frustrating folks. Though I do think double fine needs to grab a list of emails of the backers and send out an email notification as I'm sure there are a lot of people who are not regulars to the forums (myself included). They can just copy and paste your last post here as I think that gets the message across.

Humble Bundle is currently pulling the new digital files off of our FTP. It's going to take awhile since there are so many of them, but we'll make an announcement when they are ready. What you're getting is HQ mp4 exports in 1920,720, and 480. All are optional downloads, so you don't need to grab lower res if you don't want them. All the episodes of the doc are in there, plus the new final episode. You'll also find all the new bonus content like the team playthroughs, all the original pitches, and some stuff with Tim and Penn.

Right now, I'm working navigation bugs out of disc 2 after having fixed some of the more major issues. Hopefully I'm only a build or two away from a gold master, which should be ready this week.

Disc 1 is looking like a Master Build. Disc 2 is nearly at Master, bugs are fixed but it needs music swapped out for the menu.

Also prepping the art for the packaging, needs some minor tweaks for the template.

No word from Humble about the digital files, but they did say it would take time to get them all since there are so many.

Toying with the idea of putting up a VHX page for AF 2012 and AF 2014 but need to work out the logistics of hosting the demos with the VHX team.

This is just my opinion but it's probably ok with leaving the demos on the humble site and just having the videos available on VHX.

This is just my opinion but it's probably ok with leaving the demos on the humble site and just having the videos available on VHX.
I prefer the copies prepared directly by 2PP. As I've seen with DFA!, VHX does its own processing, which greatly reduces the file size and quality compared to the 2PP files uploaded on Humble.

VHX would be great. With DFA I usually download through Humble, but stream using VHX. I would be fine with getting a VHX key on the AF bundle pages, similar to the 'Broken Age + Documentary' bundle.

Final pieces are in place and both discs are now content complete. They should be bug free but i'll be taking them home over the weekend to double check.

Template for the packaging that the manufacturing place sent over is incorrect so we're just waiting for a new one. All the art is prepped in illustrator and ready to be dropped in.

All content has also been uploaded to VHX along with the prototypes and soundtracks. Working on getting keys set up on Humble similar to the Double Fine Adventure so when Humble downloads are ready they can be sent out too.

Should be sending out digital masters for replication on Monday.

Spent all day trying to fix an extremely stupid menu bug, burned about 5 discs that went to the trash. Pressing the "top menu" command during any of the disc 2 videos would take you to a menu that was not the main menu. Making all the video path programming super clear would not fix this. After trying a few different hacks it was finally fixed by changing the background ordering of the menu layers so the main menu occupied the place of the menu the disc insisted on returning too. Now, pressing the "top menu" button will take you to the main menu.

Probably the last bug that needed to be sorted. Only have 2 blank discs left from a spindle of 50 DL BD-R's. Manufacturing partner is sending new templates over tomorrow morning, awaiting instructions on method of master delivery to the replication plant.

Well, I got my refund guys. I have to say, I don't have any bad feelings towards DF or 2PP at all. I respect them, and I greatly appreciatively how they've treated me throughout this process. They weren't obligated to give me my money back, but they did anyway. Despite this little kerfuffle, I still love Double Fine.

Fangamer, on the other hand, who ignored multiple emails? They can kindly f*** off.

Received the templates from the printer, art is all set and ready to go. Received blu-ray specs for production, in the process of packaging them up for the factory.

Unlike DVDs, the blu-ray standard has a host of anti-piracy and licensing issues baked into the format, so they have to be converted properly before being sent out for manufacture. It appears as though we're meeting requirements, so the next step is to load the files on a drive and send them off.

Any update on VHX keys?
I'm all set to pull the trigger on my end and launch the content on VHX, but HiB is still getting the videos set up. They'll have to insert keys into your bundle pages since I don't have any way to distribute those on my end. I'm hoping it's soon!

Sign in to follow this