Sign in to follow this  
Vangald

Question And Possible Request

I wasn't sure where to put this so I figured I would put it here. It is sort of related to something I saw during Massive Chalices development but wasn't sure if it was worth posting in there as what I will be referring to has greater reach outside that project.

During the development in the Unity prototype there was a placeholder model made of blocks that was animated. My question is was that done in Unity or was that a very simplistic model made out side of and then imported into Unity?

As far as a request, if the model was made within Unity, does anyone know of a good tutorial on how to do that?

I think (emphasis on think) that pizza-box guy was created by Double Fine.

I don't know the origin story of Pizza Box Guy, but it's a fully rigged 3d model that is set up as the default character when we start a new branch of our Buddha engine, which we call a "seed". If you look at the first days of the 3d Amnesia Fortnight games (Black Lake, White Birch, Autonomous, and Steed), you'll probably see PBG running around on day one or filling in for an enemy at the beginning of the project.

The cool thing about PBG is that we've done a bunch of placeholder animations for him - so he can walk, run, jump, attack, die, climb, etc, etc, and is a useful tool for prototyping.

I don't think we actually brought him fully rigged and animated into any of the unity prototypes - I remember we did load him up in Maya and squash and stretched some of his pizza boxes to play with different character proportions.

Ah - here it is!

tumblr_mrhrgpmjGV1syjjzpo1_1280.jpg

Geoff used PBG to test proportions and early attack animations for Massive Chalice, before he was even in the game. So, Pizza Box Guy has proved useful for a bunch of things!

The method for creating a temp character like this is similar to that of any other character, you just don't need well-defined geometry and an advanced rig that has things like facial muscles. Maybe one of our character artists can hop on here and give more details.

Thanks alot John. I am still learning my 3D modeling and right now I am tackling texturing and modeling so I am trying to dig up some examples for quick prototype work for inspiration as well as figuring out a work flow. It is cool to see how you guys approach this stuff.

Right now all this is just a hobby for me but I am hoping to make a small game in the near future.