Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
flesk

Mystery May

Yknow, this'd be a lot easier to do if there was a nice neat list of everyone taking part in the very first post. ;)

I could have sworn I added that yesterday, but I must have forgotten to hit Update or something. I'm on it.

EDIT: No I had just put them into a text file and alphabetized them for convenience before putting in my own votes. Kind of selfish of me really, but I was going to post it; I swear.

And I just got two new PMs, so it looks like we're only missing votes from one person. There are also some that didn't vote for a game for everyone, so if you want to cast some more votes, feel free to.

That also includes votes for yourself I guess if we should do that? I don't mind and it's a bit split on whether or not people have done that. Does anyone have any strong opinions for or against it?

And I just got two new PMs, so it looks like we're only missing votes from one person. There are also some that didn't vote for a game for everyone, so if you want to cast some more votes, feel free to.

That also includes votes for yourself I guess if we should do that? I don't mind and it's a bit split on whether or not people have done that. Does anyone have any strong opinions for or against it?

I'm kind of meh to it.

I mean its good if its a tie-breaker, and kind of pointless if that vote didn't affect the final outcome in any way.

I'd say ignore them for the main count, and use them only if there's a tie.

I'll freely admit I voted for myself, but it was mostly as a joke - I didn't expect it to be taken seriously at all.

I'd say ignore them for the main count, and use them only if there's a tie.

I'll freely admit I voted for myself, but it was mostly as a joke - I didn't expect it to be taken seriously at all.

I thought it might have been not to be given away too much by the style of the writing when I post them all here. Others have done that as well. In either case yours would need a bit of rewriting to avoid spoiling the mystery.

I've counted up the votes now, and I'll start by putting up the winners for everyone until I've figured out a way to present the full votes in a way that isn't too confusing. There were two ties that were both resolved by which got a vote in first, as mentioned in the rules on the first page.

CorruptBiggins

- 3 votes for Under A Killing Moon

I want you to suffer in your own personal hell!
The Tex Murphy games are excellent, and this is one of the best in the series.
It's really good with a few exceptions that he might be more forgiving of than I was.

Darth Marsden

- 3 votes for Ride to Hell: Retribution

He just need an excuse to play it
Do I really need a reason for this pick!
I think he should play it because it seems like deep down he really wants an excuse to give it a try and it would be really interesting to hear his experiences of it and he expects at least someone to nominate it…

Fhqwhgads

- 3 votes for Deponia

The fact he hasn’t tried this already is astounding. If I could slap someone over the internet, I would.
The art style and quirky plot involving a con man on a garbage planet make this game worth playing.
Because the Deponia trilogy has mostly very good and satisfying puzzles that I think he'll enjoy.

flesk

- 2 votes for The Cat Lady

By far the best game on the list. A really nice adventure game about a Lady and her happy life with her cats.
Because that game is creepy in a non-horrific way.

Hudomonkey

- 3 votes for System Shock 2

Because it’s gaming history education.
Get him to follow this guide, which should hopefully help take care of his “I’m concerned about its age” problem, because it’s genuinely one of the finest games ever made an it’d be criminal if he missed out on it because of a few lo-res models: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144318168

Jenni

- 7 votes for KOTOR I

I think it's the one she's most likely to enjoy of the games on her list.
While I like II a lot more you should play KOTOR I first. Hint: You will become a Jedi so don’t level up the main character until you do (companions are okay to level up) and don’t spend time in weapon abilities. These become useless with a lightsabre. Powergaming ftw.
A very compelling RPG that is worth a try
Because those are awesome CRPGs. The first one has the benefit of being finished and having a slightly more cohesive story, while the second one is mechanically slightly better but also buggy and missing elements that were clearly meant to be there.
I personally love this game and think it’s very accessible, mechanics wise, for people who don’t play this kind of game.
The fact she hasn’t tried this already is astounding. If I could slap someone over the internet, I would.

liorean

- 2 votes for FEZ

Because it's awesome.
It’s tough, but the interesting 2D/3D puzzle mechanics make this game well worth playing.

RetroVortex

- 3 votes for Donkey Kong Country 2

Because it’s Rare’s best platformer, one of the top 3 platformers that have ever been released on a Nintendo console, or in fact any console, or computer, ever.
Because it looks awesome.
It’s definitely tough, but it’s worth it in my opinion. It’s my personal favorite game in the series.

EDIT: I've put the reasons people gave for the games that ended up getting chosen. I had to edit a few of them slightly for them to make sense in the context, but the edits shouldn't have changed anything about the flavor of the writing.

Heh, wow. Everyone wants me to play the same game. Guess I know how I'll be spending my May. :)

Who would have guessed it, the cartridge is already in the console! ;)

(Yeah I'm playing this shit on a Super Nintendo! GO RETRO!)

There, I've put in the reasons for the top picks as well now. I think I might put the runner ups in a separate post so as to avoid cluttering up that one too much. I probably won't have time to do that until later though.

I hope everyone's happy with their picks. I'm looking forward to playing The Cat Lady with apprehension. It's definitely a game I want to have played.

Oh, and to make things interesting, I'm going to make a text log of everyday I play it.

STARTING RIGHT NOW!

Day 1

Oh. So the Double Fine community has elected me to play Donkey Kong Country 2.

This shall be an interesting challenge to say the least.

*takes a deep breath*

*blows the dust of the console*

*fires it up*

*resets because there is no picture....*

Aaaaah! The Rareware logo. Now that takes me back! :D

And whats this, a booming cascade of musical delight bombarding my ears! <3

... Now then, do I continue from my previous save? The furthest I ever got was Squawk's Shaft...

Do I continue from there? Or do I go for a pure, full runthrough?

Screw it. New game.

Man. DK Island needs some major renovating! The place looks like a right dump now. LITERALLY!

Welp. Looks like I start on a ship. A Pirate ship! Yarrr!

Ok! Lets go kick some Kremling butt! :D

*presses start*

Ok so why would King. K Rool leave a ransom note on his own boat for Diddy?

Infact, how did Diddy get here in the first place?

(Maybe the instruction manual has the answer, but I don't have it, being a poor bugger and only being able to affort carts)

And why do we even start of as Diddy Kong? We all know Dixie's the star here! :D

ANYWAY! PRESS ON!

*completes level as Dixie*

Awww yeah! Wicked cool guitar solo! *air shreds*

LEVEL 2

Umm... Why are the Kremlings just loafing around?

Man K.Rool really needs to work on his middle management. Its all over the place. His minions just loaf around aimlessly.... -__-

*rocks out*

Yeah another level bites the dust! Haha! :D

Yo cranky!

Um... dude, you look even worse for wear than before. TWO Sticks this time?

Damn, how you ever got fit enough for Tropical Freeze is anyone's guess... (Omega 3 pills?)

Plus, dude. You're totally becoming a hoarder. Once this shit with DK's sorted, I hope they come back and fix the place up.

(Then again, knowing DK's banana hoarding habits, maybe its a family trait thing....)

Anyway.. LEVEL 3!!

Did K. Rool amputate his minions just for the pirate theme, or was DK that heavy he crushed them in the last game?

The mind boggles... @_@

Oh... poop.. first death

Should stop getting distracted and get back into the game! HIYYOOOOO!!!

...I never get how some kremlings are so buff? I mean where do they even go to build those muscles?

I mean they just walk backwards and forwards. If anything they should have massive quads.. but. ey? Maybe I'm thinking too hard on it! Haha! xD

I'm INVINCIBLE!!! WAHOOOOO!!

ooops... Sorry Diddy... Got carried away. OH WELL!

LEVEL 4!

NO WAIT!

Lets talk to ol Wrinkly Kong!

Hey Wrinkly! Free Save? WHAT! YOU MEAN I HAVE TO PAY TO SAVE!!!?! O.0

um... I'll be back later...

LEVEL 4!

Oh. Swimming levels.. I remember these... Fun...

And why are bananas arranged into A's? I don't get it.

The funniest thing in this game so far is losing a character right next to a DK Barrel.

Its like the designers knew...

(Maybe this was back in the day when games actually GOT playtested....)

Yeah! DK COIN!

YEAH! LEVEL BEAT!

Yo Swanky! Lets get some more 1-ups (that you lose when you restart from a save... -__-)

Anyway...

LEVEL 5!!!

Gah! Bloody snake level! Guh... so irritating... -__-

Where did they even find this guy? He's so derpy! He's like Goofy, if he was a snake.

Durrrr! Hey gois! Lets bounce up n down! Ohhh Gawwwshhh!

Another A shaped banana pile... I wonder what if when you get all the letters it spells "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGGHH! THIS GAME IS SO DAMN HARD! I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY!!!"

AARRGGHH! The snake is so damn hard to control! >: (

Look Tro... just calm down...Ok...

Aaaah the Wasps... the omen of death and dismay that awaits me... <3

Anyway.. level done..

NEXT! ITS BOSS TIME! :D

Now. I'm going to save.

(not that I actually need to...)

BOSS TIME!

A bird that throws its own eggs...

Hmm.. A bit callous isn't it? I mean how does this species even survive if it keeps lobbing its own eggs away?

Then again... Yoshi... Hmmm

I guess I dodge and throw them back or something...

4 Hits? Hmm.. Interesting..

NEXT WORLD TIME!

Level 6!

"Hey Dixie! Lets go look for Donkey Kong in that active Volcano!"

"Good idea Diddie!"

Yeesh...

Ever wonder if K.Rool just has a lack of finances?

I mean many of his minions are just wearing barrels.

Did somebody just overorder barrels or something and they run out of budget?

Hmm...

Spider time!

The spider, is pretty cool. He has like 4 pairs of Sneakers!

Actually... why is this spider wearing footwear?

Then again... why does a Hedgehog need footwear either, right?

(I should really stop questioning Video Game logic...)

Another A....

Wait! This Spider shoots platforms! Thats pretty neat! :D

Anyway. Level done.

Lets go to that unusual Kremling icon..

OMG! THIS DUDE IS HUUUUUUUGE!!

O.0

*runs away*

LEVEL 7!!

Ok. So this is where I know the game will start to get hard. I need to focus..

OUCH! BARREL TO THE FACE! X__X

Ok. That was silly.

And so start the vertical climb levels...

Oh how I hate those...

Just barrels... so many damn barrels...

DONE...

Right thats enough for day one I think.

Time to go back on Funky flights and save, rest, and regroup for next time...

Nice idea RetroVortex. :)

I think I'll do something similar (probably in video if I can get everything to work on my old computer, but I'll do it in text like yours if I can't).

I'm installing KOTOR 1 now. :)

I'm pretty happy with my game pick, considering the other options that were available. Guess I better go download and install it then.

Well gee, I WAS going to do another review, but I guess I have to play a game instead.

...gee whiz, that's a real shame.

EDIT: Oh, wait. I guess I need to give it about 3 hours to download. Well, gosh darn it. Isn't that just a swizz.

I can't get my computer to record the video, so I'll do text of my thoughts instead. Starting up Knights of the Old Republic...

Day 1

Aw, man. The old LucasArts L logo. How I miss you. I used to get excited when I popped in a game and saw that logo come up, since I knew I was in for something fun. That was a long time ago though.

I picked the female fighter (as close to me as I could, dark hair, slightly large nose, pale skin), all the recommended values for stats, and used the name randomizer and got Leila Polo, which strangely reminds me of a mix between Futurama, for obvious reasons, and Escape from Monkey Island, because of Marco de Pollo. Yeah I know he's based on the real adventurer Marco Polo (I played the swimming pool game as a kid, after all :P), but that was the first thing that popped in my head.

The Star Wars crawl. Definitely expected, but appreciated. Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars, but I do really like the music (but, then again who doesn't).

Hey, dialog trees. Nice. Now, that's the type of gameplay I like. ;) I'm curious what will happen if you choose options that go against your mission, but I'll choose the options to accept the mission since I always play as I would if I were in the situation (if I like the game, I'll probably go back to see what changes, or maybe search YouTube for a video).

OK, how do I get to my equipment. Woah, it's nice to get instructions on how to do this, but it's a bit breaking in the immersion to hear him talk about "using the mouse" and "moving the character". No big deal though, it is just the tutorial section.

Hey, he said the same thing about how to play again (you'd think they wouldn't play that bit if you asked him how to do it when you were first given the chance). Oh, well. Still, it's the tutorial section. No big deal.

Ugh, I keep getting turned around after the story scenes. I'm not great at figuring out which way is which in games in corridors and such (which I why I don't usually play games like this). Still, early in the game. Muddling through.

Sheesh, this tutorial's a little heavy handed. Shoot, read about shooting, ok. Read more about shooting, ok. OK again. Now I can finally shoot freely. OK, those guys are down.

Neat little cutscene (That sith was busting out the ninja moves, that's pretty cool). Used medpack.

Ugh, I meant to click on the enemy, not the remains! Oh, great. Now I'm shooting at close range. Yeah, I'll probably die.

Oh, hey. I'm still alive. Thank goodness the NPCs here aren't useless at helping you fight enemies. Used another medpack.

Dark Jedi? When they turn to the Dark Side, don't they become the Sith (and are no longer referred to as Jedi)? Wow, I can't believe I'm geeking out like that, considering I'm not a big Star Wars fan (if I'm wrong Star Wars fans will let me know I'm sure).

And I'm turned around and lost in the corridors again... OK, found my bearings again. To the command deck.

Sword fight. Neat. OK, I know I'm going to get flack for this. But the clanging of steel in sword battles is more fun to watch for me than lightsabers. I like the metal armor and the metal swords. It's a blend of futuristic and ancient, kind of like Firefly or Cowboy Bebop (but ninja style rather than cowboy style).

OK, level up, recommended values again. Actually, I probably should have hit auto level up (oh, well, next time).

Man, Trask is fighting the Dark Jedi alone and the game won't let me go in to help. I know I have a mission to do, but I wish they gave you that option.

Switching to blaster.

I'm the last survivor? Grr, I had a feeling as soon as they blocked off the entrance to the Dark Jedi fight.

And, I accidentally clicked on something other than the enemy again. So, close combat again (but not by choice). Switching to sword fighting. Oh, hey. An honorable Sith. He stops shooting his blaster when I come at him with a sword. Good to know. Using medpack again.

Oh, cool you can repair the combat droid (so that's what all the spare parts I've been picking up are for). Repairing him and enabling his shields. OK, this is cool. He's a really helpful partner.

He's way more helpful than Trask (although I feel bad for saying that, considering).

Into the escape pod. Oh, no. My stupid computer sent me back to desktop after the video started. Oh, thank goodness. It didn't crash. I have to learn to save more often.

That battle meditation power sounds interesting. It'll be neat to see just what this Bastilla is like.

And, save. The game says I've played for one hour and eighteen minutes so far. Seems like a good point to stop my playthrough for now.

I'm going to regret this.

Ride to Hell: Retribution

- Well, at least the menu's nice.

- OK, scratch that. I can't seem to rebind the keys, which sucks, but more fatally, I CAN'T CHANGE THE RESOLUTION.

- Googled it. I have to manually edit an .ini file to change the resolution. They could not have failed at the PC port harder.

- And it turns out that this is one of those games where you have to hit a key on the loading screen to actually continue the game. I genuinely thought games that did that had died out, but apparently they're alive and well! Well, maybe not WELL, but...

- First thing we see of the game is a VERY brief scene of the main character, Jake, riding his bike... and then seconds in, we're thrust right into a turret section that controls like crap. This is an absolutely terrible start to the game.

- The mouse controls are insane. I can't seem to get them right.

- OK, done with the turret, time for another clip of Jake riding his bike. I think I see what this is now - it's one of those compilation of clips from later on in the game, only half these bits are actually playable. Which is a truly terrible idea.

- Oh hey, time for a QTE fight! Yay.

- There is something very, very wrong with the characters limbs. I can't place what it is, but there's something off about them.

- Another cutscene. Apparently at some point I get to jump over a helicopter while riding a bike. Hope that gets to be playable, otherwise we've gone backwards from freakin' Tony Hawk's Underground, of all things.

- Oh dear lord, the character's mouths open so WIDE whenever they talk! Who the hell animated that?

- The first proper cutscene of the game begins. My word, this is dull.

- On a bike at last. Really not sure of the controls here. We accelerate by pressing space and brake by pressing R? Only sometimes pressing space gives you a turbo boost? Uh, OK? Really not sure of this at ALL.

- Oh look, another cutscene. This time it's got two characters on bikes talking to each other while driving. It's a good thing there's subtitles or I wouldn't be able to understand what they're saying, given how loud the engine noise is. Also, the engine noise is incredibly irritating.

- More cutscenes! My god the animations of these characters is just atrocious. Limbs moving all over the place.

- Another bike section. Yay.

- ...wait. The last cutscene ended with us walking away from a bunch of thugs. How'd we end up on our bike driving away from them? Did we miss a scene or something? This is so poorly paced...

- Finally, we get some Road Rash style combat. Unfotunatey, I can sum up the on-bike combat like this: enemy 'locks on' next to you, QTE, pre-baked animation, win. Rinse and repeat about half a dozen times.

- Next cutscene, and magically we're off the bike and SOMEHOW surrounded by thugs with guns. OUTSTANDING continuity.

- That was easily one of the most poorly animated cutscenes I've ever seen. No, seriously. Just AWFUL. Combined with missing sound effects and some atrocious pacing, these cutscenes could easily be cut in half and you'd miss out on so little. For example, apparently Jake got shot, but we don't see it happen. No, see fade to him having RECOVERED from being shot, and have him flash-back to it in black and white. That's just stupid in so many ways...

- Another day, another driving section. Apparently I have to do a powerslide by pressing down? What the hell?

- Oh no, I had to press SHIFT. That was not clear at all.

- Jesus wept, how long does this level last? I'm so booooored.

- Time for a quick fist fight! I win by mashing the mouse buttons. I hope there's more complexity to this.

- Next cutscene - a prostitute propositions Jake and he turns her down with "business before pleasure". I think I recognise this bit from a video I saw a while back, so remember those words.

- Some dude is threatening a lady, so like the gentleman I am I go and beat the snot out of him. Literally the SECOND after I win the fight, the game cuts to a "sex scene" with said lad in a completely different location. "Business before pleasure" my ass! Even better, the sex scenes really are as bad as you've heard. Both characters remain fully dressed and the lady's expression never changes. it's astoundingly awkward. Finally, once the deed is done, the game just dumps me right back to where I was when I won the fight with nary a word, as if it was ashamed of what it just did. AS WELL IT SHOULD BE.

- Time for ANOTHER bike scene. Wait a sec - it was night in the last section! Why is it suddenly the middle of the day? Well, at least there's different pre-baked animations during combat now. Shame they're all rubbish.

- Another boring cutscene... and then ANOTHER dull driving level. Jesus wept...

- I finally figured it out! Everyone's got Chris Redfield arms - they're way too big for the rest of their bodies. Man, that's been bugging me.

- It did it again! I just beat up a woman's ex-husband, and then she lead me into her house - RIGHT PAST THE GUY'S BODY - so she could jump my bones. While wearing a freakin' jumpsuit, for crying out loud! This... this had to have been a joke, right?

- OK, finally getting a gun, and the aiming is AWFUL. The camera moves so jerkily when you're trying to aim I keep missing the targets. This is absolutely incompetent.

- This level is so bad, there are floating gun pick-ups, like from Quake or something. The FIRST Quake.

- ...and I'm dead. Killed because I couldn't hit the enemies due to the atrocious camera while aiming. And when I load the last checkpoint, it sent me right back to the beginning of the level.

Yeah, no. I'm... I think I'm done with this. It's awful. Simply... awful.

Man, you definitely got the worst pick of everyone. I don't blame you for giving up on it.

If you want to play something else from your list, Bioshock Infinite got second place with two votes.

I'm going to do the rest of the runner ups in a minute. Just going to start downloading The Cat Lady first.

I had something like this written for my Fez session as well, but...

My laptop overheated and crashed :( and I didn't save it at any point, so it's all gone now...

I'll say my initial impressions though:

I liked the starting area and the people. Except for Dot and the ghosts there seems to be very little of that further on. I'm just 12 of 32 cubes into it so far though, so there might be more happening later on. The game has a nice set of mechanics but sometimes frustrating because jumping movement seems a little awkward. Sometimes you get a much larger jump from standstill, while you always seem to get smaller jumps right after touching down from another jump despite being in motion in the right direction! In general, I feel the game could benefit from a more fluid controlling scheme, and also from triggered instead of automatic grabbing of ledges.

Nice map with markers of completion or not for each area. The puzzles so far are not very hard, but I fear that there will be an irritating level of backtracking in it to get all the cubes, because there are stuff I don't think I have the right solutions for yet. Like that room with four sides where there are four rows of 2-4 doors each on each of the sides.

I like the environments - village, forest, stone temple, graveyard etc... it all feels very nicely designed in a very stylistic way. Every area has awesome ambience, and while a lot of areas don't have music, the music is really nice and mood setting.

I fear that I have ignored a lot of tetramino hints and other symbols that I will regret further on in the game.

Kotor
If you keep clicking on things other than enemies, you can pause the game at any time with the space bar and then just click on the enemy like you meant to.

Dark Jedi? When they turn to the Dark Side, don't they become the Sith (and are no longer referred to as Jedi)? Wow, I can't believe I'm geeking out like that, considering I'm not a big Star Wars fan (if I'm wrong Star Wars fans will let me know I'm sure).
Ah, this is the time of the Old Republic. The Sith were just considered to be another of the groupings of people around. The Dark Jedis were those with Jedi powers that went over to the dark side. The connection between Sith and Dark Jedi is there, but it's not a given that being one means being the other. But then again, this is a time when much less were commonly known about the Sith than during the Empire era. And even then this game refers back to the Sith of old (relative to the Old Republic timeframe) aplenty...

Darth Marsden: Yeah, there's a place where most of the reviewers and lets players, even those that are traditionally completionists, bugged out. The only person I have heard of that actually played it all through is AngryJoe. And man, is he angry at this game!

There are games you can play because they are hilariously bad when it comes to story, level design, item management etc, and there are games you can't play because they are saddeningly buggy or ill designed. This game is the latter, from what I have heard and seen and read.

CorruptBiggins

- 3 votes for Under A Killing Moon

- 2 votes for Dead Space

It’s not nearly as much horror as he thinks. You have guns. Tons of them. So kill those bastards.
It’s more action than horror, especially if you fully upgrade the starting gun and start automatically shooting the limbs off alien corpses because you KNOW they’re just gonna jump up and start attacking you anyway. Oh, and it’s a surprisingly atmospheric game.

-1 vote for Neverwinter Nights

Because that’s the one I would most want to visit of your nominees myself.

- 1 vote for Bioshock

It is a game that gets very good when you get far enough into it

Darth Marsden

- 3 votes for Ride to Hell: Retribution

- 2 votes for Bioshock Infinite

I think he might enjoy it the most of the games on his list.
Because you should be able to enjoy yourself and not purely punish yourself.

- 1 vote for Painkiller - Hell & Damnation

He likes the series and I think he might enjoy that game the most on his list.

- 1 vote for Call of Juarez: The Cartel

- 1 vote for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

It takes ideas from other games, and you should like it if you don’t focus too hard thinking it’s not like classic Castlevania.

Fhqwhgads

- 3 votes for Deponia

- 2 votes for Aliens: Colonial Marines

Voting for this because I want to send the message that just because it’s cheap on Steam doesn’t mean you have to buy it!

- 1 vote for Bad Rats

He secretly wants us to vote for it I’m sure of it...

- 1 vote for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Because I have over 200 hours in that game and due to a bugged out save file couldn’t finish the last area. Honestly, I played this just after Skyrim, and while I’d say story and character design is a little bit worse, I like the aesthetic better, it’s got actual saturation!

- 1 vote for Eschalon Book 2

A really interesting RPG from what I’ve heard. I’d highly recommend it

flesk

- 2 votes for The Cat Lady

- 2 votes for Brütal Legend

Even if you end up not liking the whole game you should at least experience the early stages of it.
The story is worth playing it for, and the majority of the quests and sidequests are fun.

- 2 votes for Hotline Miami

It is a game worth giving a try that is fun for people aren’t that into action games due to it acting as a mix between action and puzzle solving and I believe you’d get a lot out of it
It looks pretty casual for an action game and I think he would have a ton of fun with it

- 1 vote for Legend of Grimrock

- 1 vote for Dreamfall

The action sequences are only a small part of the game (seriously, there’s only around a half-dozen) and it’s such a beautiful world I’d hate for him to miss out experiencing it, especially with the forthcoming sequel.

Hudomonkey

- 3 votes for System Shock 2

- 3 votes for To The Moon: 3

Interesting story and great music. Well worth playing.
It's a beautiful story that he owes himself to experience. It's also one of the easiest games on Steam to 100%.
Everyone needs to have played this.

- 1 vote for Alpha Protocol

I’m very interested in this game and the state it is in right now myself. Someone has to take the fall for me. It shall be the dog-turd-thingie.

Jenni

- 7 votes for KOTOR I

liorean

- 2 votes for FEZ

- 1 vote for Vampires: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

One of the all-time-best RPG experiences. Like EVER! You must play this but don’t pick Nosferatu or Malkavian on a first playthrough. Just don’t. While Malk can be fun with the crazy dialogue Nosferatu is a pain if you don’t know your way around the game first.

- 1 vote for Dead Space 3

- 1 vote for Dear Esther

It’s nice and short, and while not very game like it’s still worth a play through.

- 1 vote for Dead Space

It’s more action than horror, especially if you fully upgrade the starting gun and start automatically shooting the limbs off alien corpses because you KNOW they’re just gonna jump up and start attacking you anyway. Oh, and it’s a surprisingly atmospheric game.

- 1 vote for Witcher 2

Witcher 2 (if it runs) is one of the best RPGs in modern memory and is really compelling if you get through to the main part of the game

RetroVortex

- 3 votes for Donkey Kong Country 2

- 2 votes for Alpha Protocol

I’m very interested in this game and the state it is in right now myself. Someone has to take the fall for me. It shall be the Mario with a mustache.
I’ve heard it’s a very hit and miss game, so I’d love to hear what he has to say about it.

- 1 vote for Amnesia

I’m sure he will have a blast (muhahahaha)

- 1 vote for Dark Souls

I couldn’t bring myself to inflict Amnesia on him so it’s Dark Souls instead.

I'm going to update this and edit in all the remaining votes for the runner ups.

Ok, that should be it. For convenience I've secretly counted votes for yourself as half a vote, while still displaying it as a full vote in the list, so as not to give anything away.

I'm gonna try messing around with the mouse sensitivity settings before completely giving up, but I feel two hours of my life is more than Ride to Hell deserved, and if I can't get it working properly I won't exactly be shedding tears for it.

I'm gonna try messing around with the mouse sensitivity settings before completely giving up, but I feel two hours of my life is more than Ride to Hell deserved, and if I can't get it working properly I won't exactly be shedding tears for it.

Yeah, like I said on the first page:

I don't think it should necessarily be a requirement to finish a game as long as you give it a fair shot and put a few hours into it.

I think you've given it a fair shot and if I were you I'd move on to something else.

So I've also started on my game, The Cat Lady, so I'll share my impressions so far:

- I really like the art in the prologue with the panning stills with the cat. Feels kind of ominous and does a good job at building atmosphere.

- Approaching the cabin I get introduced to the controls. I thought it would be point and click but I really like the keyboard controls. They feel very intuitive and gets less in the way of immersion than swiping the screen for hotspots would do.

- Starting to get a bit tense when I enter the underground parking lot (?) and stuff start falling from the roof. And then there's the ambulance. Locked. Have to go back. Have a feeling something scary is about to happen.

- Not so. What happened next could easily have been played out as more of a jump scare. I get the feeling the game isn't really trying to frighten me.

- Get introduced to inventory puzzles back at the cabin. Still very intuitive.

- Feeling a lot more relaxed now and the walk through the forest get more of an atmospheric feel to it.

- A couple of minor puzzles and I meet an old lady. We talk and I'm really starting to sense a Sandman (Neil Gaiman) vibe here. Not a bad thing at all.

- At the cross and now I can't continue. I try one option and the game dies on me. I try the other, same thing. Probably a bug in the Linux version. I'll see if I can figure out what's causing it and if I can't I might have to try the Windows version for a bit. At least to get a save after that choice.

I ramped all the mouse sensitivity sliders up to max and gave it another go. Still not quite right, but it's somewhat tolerable now.

I have a horrible feeling I'm actually going to want to complete this now. I finished the level I was on and it got me to the 'home town', which looks like it should be full of stuff but you can only really go to one or two sections, with the rest being fenced off with a 'turn back now' message. Oh well.

Rather than continue with the story I did the DLC mission (which I didn't REALISE was the DLC mission at first!), and it seemed to sum up all of the games different elements in one (relatively) short experience - couple of driving sections, mostly on foot stuff and an interesting little mission overall. I got about 90 minutes of content from the DLC, so I can't say it wasn't worth the price I paid for it.

I've been uploading screenshots to my Steam page, so check 'em out if you're curious. There's some good ones of a couple of interesting glitches, including my personal favourite (so far):

457EC0665A55F61B9B418A5D92232E82E25EFFED

I'm actually surprised there was no vote for Dork Souls. I was so afraid that this would be THE #1 pick.

Dude. I HAVE to play Dark Souls soon.

I mean, I got the collector's edition of Dark Souls II sitting here, I have to get somewhere significant in Dark Souls, AT LEAST! xD

I just had my first play of System shock 2 and it is pretty darn good...

It has a very good Tone and I have already reached a point where I am scared, underpowered and don't know what to do an hour in...

I really should have got round to playing this sooner...

Kotor
If you keep clicking on things other than enemies, you can pause the game at any time with the space bar and then just click on the enemy like you meant to.

Ah, thanks. That will definitely help a lot I'm sure. :)

Ah, this is the time of the Old Republic. The Sith were just considered to be another of the groupings of people around. The Dark Jedis were those with Jedi powers that went over to the dark side. The connection between Sith and Dark Jedi is there, but it's not a given that being one means being the other. But then again, this is a time when much less were commonly known about the Sith than during the Empire era. And even then this game refers back to the Sith of old (relative to the Old Republic timeframe) aplenty...

Ah, I had a feeling I was missing something. So, this is a time when alliances were more blurred? That spices things up a bit.

Started to play Under a Killing Moon. Gonna follow the trend and make a few notes while playing. I don't know if I should be worried about spoiling things (later on in the game especially) for other people as it is a 20 year old game. To be safe I'll probably err on the side of caution and not say much specific about the story, and just concentrate on my experience playing it.

Session 1

This isn't the first Tex Murphy game I've played, having put some effort into trying to play Mean Streets but didn't get that far through it. I've always wanted to play this one since it came out in 1994 so going to do so now.

My there's a lot of introduction to this but I could listen to James Earl Jones voice over anything all day. The first part of the intro suggests external forces are at or going to be at work here.

Then there's the bit about WWII and the Nazi's interest in the occult as they desperately try to find something that will help them in the war. Then it cuts to an undefined point in time, presumably not to long after the war in which monks at a church ruins find something...blue.

Cut to the present of the game, 2042 (man that's only 28 years from now as opposed to nearly 50 years in the future when the game was first released). Tex sounds like your typical pulp PI, has more bourbon than cases (and not much bourbon at that).

Talking ensues, background established. Play begins.

Day 1

I'll spend sometime getting settled into the game by extensively looking around the office.

Mouse control when walking around the scene is a bit weird, and sensitive. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, I hope.

I’m liking the writing and the humour. Tex is a walking cliche and he knows it.

Got a case, of sorts. Find a stolen bracelet. Time to investigate.

So I need to gather clues so I can narrow down the suspect list on the crime computer thing. Better take notes then, so I remember the details,

Got a few clues but not enough. Must be missing something in the street. I’ll take a break now and come back to the game later.

End session 1

Doesn't look like I did much there, but I'm taking my time and looking at everything, talking to everyone (more than a few times each, as I'm sure I'm missing something). Playing this now is getting me more excited for Tesla Effect though I think I might wait until I've played through the other games before starting the new one.

Sign in to follow this