Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
majugi

Game discussion (potential spoilers)

I just finished the early access portion of the game (and by finished I mean reached the credit screen, I haven't yet gone hunting for buried puzzles outside of the main story line or played around much with the late-game hacking tools), so I thought I'd write down my thoughts while the experience is still fresh.

I had a bit of a rough start with the game (see thread) but once past that (and that particular issue has been fixed already) the game was pretty smooth. I didn't experience any other bugs that I couldn't work around by rolling back the state of the game. The branching save system is really quite badass (and useful for an early release).

That said, the game wasn't completely smooth: I did end up on the wrong side of the level collision once (this didn't involve any hacking; I went across a screen border in the wrong place and things got weird) and performance was often sluggish (particularly when reloading state and sometimes when moving between rooms), but I didn't experience any more game-breaking bugs.

I think the most serious issues at the moment are some of the basic UI elements when starting the game. As others have mentioned, not having an obvious way to exit is strange. I would add to that that I didn't realize when the game was autosaving until I picked up the world-restore amulet-thingy a significant way into the first act. It took me a while to realize what was happening to all my inventory items once I passed 5 and how to use them. I also wanted to be able to bind items to more keys, or at least use the number pad (items only work for me when using the numbers at the top of my keyboard, not the pad).

Miscellaneous comments and potential spoilers below:

* What happened to Act 1?

* The Infinite Forest is awesome. I love the idea and its execution.

* Combat's more enjoyable and replayable than I was expecting. I got an "Autonomous" vibe from it.

* Did the path to the Warden exist before you pick up the items required to get past him? If it did, I totally missed it and was consequently stuck for ages trying to decipher what I could possibly use Ida for. (I had gotten to the point of trying to brute-force the search... I can tell you it's context-insensitive, matches fields that contain your text anywhere in them, uses "%" as the escape character (which you need if you want to put in any left opening brackets, but you don't need that since there are no fields containing brackets), the strings "stor", "room", "values", "ex", "heart", "trap", and "go" all correspond to unique "truths" that Ida can retrieve (although those strings are likely to be substrings of real variable names), and Ida is almost certainly named after Interactive Disassembler... none of this ended up helping, of course (I'm not sure what fields are actually included in Ida's search or how the heck to interpret the locations, so that's still an open puzzle)).

* In the programming puzzles, it's kind of difficult to see some of the things in the programming room. I'm not sure if this is by design.

* The programming puzzles also struck me as a pretty dense intro to programming. It's a bit hard to gauge this section because it might still have been solvable without prior knowledge, but it definitely helped to recognize array indices, the modulus operation, etc. (not to mention already understanding how programmers think).

* I really wish I had more control over the debug visualization. Hopefully attainable in a future puzzle.

* I set off a bomb in the lab (hi, NSA!) to hack the furniture and got three of those black hole things, but disappointingly I can't actually go into them. Possibly a bug?

-- Oh, I guess there are just no methods on the furniture. That makes sense, I suppose. Good thing there are other things around to experiment on. ;)

* All in all, a fun game. It does feel like there's a long way to go, both with the story and making use of the hacking tools.

Any chance of a hint on the Warden? I've gone seemingly everywhere I can find, found Ida and Halcyon and so on but after that all I can see moving on with is

* Unreachable chest in the room with the fireball shooters.

* Permanently closed GateBars 2 in the room where you get the sword back.

* Ida can't seem to find the Warden or his prisoner roster so I can remove myself.

* DemonHand past some guards that removes my sprite and brings up the loading screen but leaves me alive if I exit said screen.

and none of them seem to be giving me any kind of forward progress.

I can provide two hints in no particular order:

First, the chest isn't unreachable.

Second, Ida isn't looking up locations in the physical sense, she's looking up the path to facts within the code. Once you know where to find the facts you need, you can do what you need with them.

The other two things you mentioned as far as I know are red herrings.

I actually stumbled into the hallway with the warden before encountering Ida, but it was by chance since the pathway to get to the warden was without puzzles hence easier to accomplish. The invisible guy does mention in his conversation with Alice that the Warden can see things like your name, so after I met up with the warden and found Ida afterwards, it made complete sense how to solve the warden puzzle (conversely, I can totally understand why finding Ida and Halcyon before figuring out what to do with them would be confusing/frustrating).

I can provide two hints in no particular order:

First, the chest isn't unreachable.

Second, Ida isn't looking up locations in the physical sense, she's looking up the path to facts within the code. Once you know where to find the facts you need, you can do what you need with them.

The other two things you mentioned as far as I know are red herrings.

Thanks for the help, got it now.

The problem, IMO, is that Ida is such a literal tool and it's hard to indicate names to search for without explicitly saying them. To me it was intuitive that I needed to acess some data structure the warden is comparing the player to to decide his behaviour and alter that. I felt this kind of implementation had been explicitly hinted by the 'queenSpriteGaveHearts' artifact which governed a very analogous conversation earlier in the game. After realizing the alternate solution it's really reminding me of one of The Cave's weakest points for me, where my intuitive solution was to pour my water bucket on the burning dynamite when I was expected to instead catch the dynamite in the bucket and was stuck for ages.

Afterward I quite enjoyed the script editing stuff, although I did have to look up bytecode definitions a bit to understand them properly.

Yessssss I was going to post saying this, it's a small thing but the pulsing camera really makes it, it just creates a really unnerving sense of claustrophobia.

I have another feature request: the ability to annotate and/or prune the save-state tree would be lovely. The game's been out for a day and my save tree is already getting unwieldy with buggy branches, mega-bug-of-death branches, and lots of paths that are just not in states that I'd like to revisit (ones where I ran out wishes before wishing for more, ones where my character is permanently named "Abba", ones where I'm stuck in walls, etc).

This looks intriguing, i'm totally in love with the concept, but right now i already have spacebase & massive chalice not really moving all that much (and still waiting vor act 2 of broken age).

What do you guys recon, is it already time to jump in or am i going to receive a small tech-demo?

Yessssss I was going to post saying this, it's a small thing but the pulsing camera really makes it, it just creates a really unnerving sense of claustrophobia.

I know. I kept wondering how it could continue zooming in without ever getting smaller and it was weird as hell. I loved it.

This looks intriguing, i'm totally in love with the concept, but right now i already have spacebase & massive chalice not really moving all that much (and still waiting vor act 2 of broken age).

What do you guys recon, is it already time to jump in or am i going to receive a small tech-demo?

I wouldn't call it a tech demo or small, but it's very much an early access game. They're withholding the final act at the moment, which does make it feel a bit more like a demo, but there's a fair amount of puzzling to do already. There's also sort of a metagame of bug-finding going on at the moment which is interesting in its own weird way. That said, it doesn't take very long to beat the core game (unless you walk past an important, non-hidden room like I did and get stuck for hours). Unless the search for game-breaking bugs and exploits sounds fun to you, I'd wait for now.

On an unrelated note, I'd disagree that Massive Chalice is not really moving all that much. I would like to see some 2PP videos at some point, but the actual game development seems to be going about as well as it could be. I mean, they're playtesting the tactical game, the genetic system's coming together, the strategy layer and random event stuff is at least partially there, there's that sigil editor stuff, and it's all looking pretty sweet. Still, I totally understand the desire to get some finished games before funding more stuff.

I’ve done everything, found the empty chest by the fireballs, got the lamp and figured out Ida, how do I get past the Warden?

The warden recognises the name "Alice". He can see your name when he looks at you. You need to use Ida and the Lamp.

Sign in to follow this