Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oughtobe

Stuck in the second gate cell after scientist

Still haven't deciphered the lamp...

Stuck at the second gate, ran and dom were the words, I think this is a little too much coding for the game, I don't think I can solve this puzzle without knowing something about coding and I don't think that's fair. I should be able to beat the game without knowing anything about coding before playing the game.

Actually I figured it out, but did I cheat? I asked ida to search for name, and then she said it is now marked with some symbol.

So I used the lamp, and now a text came up and I typed some random letters, and then the warden thought my name was those random letters, and let me pass.

I used the lamp and did that like two or three times, did I mess something up? Was I supposed to translate Halcyon's speach somehow first?

Still wondering about that, but can someone help me with the second gate?

Ida found your name, then Halcyon changed it for you. Once you got to the Warden, the name you have stopped being the name he knew so you were fine to go past. You probably should translate Halcyon's speech though. Have you tried solving the glyph room puzzle?

Was I supposed to translate Halcyon's speach somehow first?

Yeah, you really should do this, otherwise the game's going to get fairly incomprehensible. I'm surprised Ida's speech wasn't also encoded; is that a bug?

As Pyradox said, there's a puzzle in the glyph room to solve.

I'm surprised Ida's speech wasn't also encoded; is that a bug?

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I couldn't understand Halcyon, but I could understand Ida.

I'm surprised Ida's speech wasn't also encoded; is that a bug?

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I couldn't understand Halcyon, but I could understand Ida.

does the glyph room decode both of them? it only translated ida? do you use it again? like move them to a different alignment for him?

also any hints on the 2nd gate?

No, both offsets should be 0. But there is something else to do in the glyph room as well: You need to copy the plain English characters over the glyphs in the room. This is not a puzzle, you just have to interact with the glyphs.

No, both offsets should be 0. But there is something else to do in the glyph room as well: You need to copy the plain English characters over the glyphs in the room. This is not a puzzle, you just have to interact with the glyphs.

ok ill try that.

also any hints on the 2nd gate? nobody can help me with that?

What you're hacking with the magic loupe is a function. What the unhacked function does is take the strings "ran" and "dom", concatenate them together (which gives "random") and return the result. Whatever piece of code which calls this function then uses its return value to determine if the gate should be unlocked or not.

Also, when you hack a function, it gets recompiled only when you exit the algorithm room, so you'll need to do that to check if you got the correct solution.

Make sure to decipher the glyphs first though, it will help a lot understanding the decompiled code.

Hope this helps!

What you're hacking with the magic loupe is a function. What the unhacked function does is take the strings "ran" and "dom", concatenate them together (which gives "random") and return the result. Whatever piece of code which calls this function then uses its return value to determine if the gate should be unlocked or not.

Also, when you hack a function, it gets recompiled only when you exit the algorithm room, so you'll need to do that to check if you got the correct solution.

Make sure to decipher the glyphs first though, it will help a lot understanding the decompiled code.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much, this seems a little bit overwhelming since the only programming I know is basic and html, but hopefully once I decipher the glyphs and halycon's message it won't be that hard. I'll let you know if I get stuck again. =)

Sign in to follow this