Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Sidequest: "The Weight of the Sound"

We have a new sidequest for you to enjoy! This one follows Broken Age Lead Sound Designer, Camden Stoddard, who won hearts of backers worldwide through his dedication and long hours during the final days of Act 1 development. ENJOY!:

[vimeo]96225633[/vimeo]

Nice video, thanks.

Anyone else remember this when he started talking about weight? :D

nfBt3LrWbXE

This was one of the most inspiring videos yet, thanks for sharing you story with us!!

Is there any change you could do a small update with sound/mixing tips? Would be really interesting.

Camden! Camden! Camden!

Good sidequest. The concept of weight in sound design is really interesting too; that's not something I've thought about before.

Gah these Sidequests are so good. I suddenly feel the urge to go through all of them again!

Thank you Camden for sharing your story!

Great new sidequest, and what a good story. Love your dedication Camden, for Double Fine and for your goals. Keep up the good work!

Why can't I watch the video with Firefox but with Chrome it's fine? It just said no permission for embedded video.

No clue. Works fine here.

I really liked this one as well. Interesting personal story, kind of an underdog story if you will, and some good insight about sound design, which I know very little of.

Why can't I watch the video with Firefox but with Chrome it's fine? It just said no permission for embedded video.

I could never play them when I used Firefox either. The link at the bottom right under the video should work though.

This happened for me too, both in this page and on the Kickstarter update page. It's never happened for any previous video.

EDIT: The attached picture shows what it looks like, before and after clicking the link below the video.

error.jpg

error.jpg.bec870481ea3e744f484f20a36c759

Thanks for the episode, 2PP and Camden. Its good to see you've made it out of the slog, and goodness willing may we all.

Smiles

Hi Camden,

admitting publically that you had a hard path to get through is quite intimidating, I imagine. Thank you so much for sharing. So glad you arrived at this magical place that is DF. Sending you a big hug from the whole backer community.

Cheers Balinor

This was one of the most inspiring videos yet, thanks for sharing you story with us!!

Is there any change you could do a small update with sound/mixing tips? Would be really interesting.

Thanks very much! Glad you liked it!

You know, I have been thinking about a sound design/mixing update, possibly around creature voice and dynamics.

Will try to get it going soon! Thanks again for the support!

Wow, great insight into sound design. It really reminds you that there are a lot of things to think about that add to the experience of a game that the player often doesn't realize. Thanks to Camden, Brian, and the rest of the sound team! Great work everyone! :)

I've recently been thinking about how sound conveys weight in games. Like in the game Spelunky, if you throw around this big gold key, it has this immense clunky thud that immediately resonates in your brain as a heavy metal object. It adds so much to the experience.

Love this episode. Camden has so much love for sound design, it shines through.

Sign in to follow this