Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Romero

Sidequest: "Maybe We Were Geniuses"

To help tide over the time until the next episode, the 2 Player guys have put together a bunch of videos of Tim playing through some of his old Lucas Arts titles. The latest in this series is a look at the first hour of his last game at Lucas, Grim Fandango, which is obviously totally awesome and should be watched straight away:

d3IidGmVLo4

To those who would like to see more here are links to the videos for

and
!

Till this day the best story in entertainment ever. Thanks for this great content!

The word in spanish that Tim is looking for when Manny is in front of the building is tacaño, which means miser or stingy (when referring to not getting bonuses)

Nice!! This is the one 'Tim plays..' I was waiting for. Enjoying it a lot.

Now I see I have been playing the game all wrong, kinda. I never controlled Manny with the numpad keys. Just the arrow keys and Return, E, I and P.

Am I the only one? I guess something went wrong somewhere in my computer education, I never ever use the numpad keys as arrow keys.

I got the email about this sidequest and I thought I'd just skim through the video real quick.

I didn't stop playback even for a second. The whole play through was amazing to watch. Hopefully Part 2 - 4 will be out at some point.

I'd like to learn more about Peter Chan's obsession with treating everyday objects like a piece of meat. :) That and I totally forgot that twisted take on the 'living world'. This game had so much great depth to it.

Sadly my experience with this game wasn't as good as it could have been. Grim Fandango was the first adventure game I played growing up. I played Quake, Unreal, Half-life and game mods. FPS stuff. So while this might have been Lucas Arts final adventure game, it's the only adventure game I had ever played. I inherited the game from my brother who loved playing Jedi Knight and saw this game as another Lucas Arts title he might enjoy. I sorta got some of the puzzles in the beginning, then I just kinda threw my hands up in the air because I didn't understand the clue collection thing going on. However, the story was so engrossing, I couldn't stop playing it. So for the rest of the way I just played through it with a walk-through guide. It completely defeated the purpose behind the game and it completely bewildered me as to how anyone would have been able to figure out any of these puzzles in the first place. The whole story was amazing and to me it was just unfortunate I didn't get to enjoy the game aspects of it at all. That part I hate myself the most for, but Grim Fandango is not a good game to introduce yourself to adventure games.

I do appreciate the simplicity of Broken Age's interactions. It enables the interaction of the puzzle objects far more easily than the 'tank' movement in Grim. It's interesting to see how fondly Tim thinks of that system as he completely struggles moving Manny around like we all did when we played it. The open garage door scene, for example. I understand how Tim insisted that the game be played as literal as possible, but a lot of the times it hindered the players ability to interact with the puzzle clues in the game if you didn't get Manny locked into the right invisible walk box. And that was just it, you were fighting against that walk box rather than fully searching for clues like you wanted to do. It got in the way like Microsoft does with their Office quick tools, personal assistants and whatnot. You're just trying to type up a damn document and not trying to adventurously fight against it's auto-formatting features. That is NOT being productive. The concept of tank mode it is very simple, it's just the implementation wasn't precise enough for enjoyable game play.

So what could have been done to improve it within the literal world restriction? How about as you move Manny around he one-word mumbles what he is staring at after a certain amount of pause. That at least confirms to the player the character has move into position where they wanted him to be. Basically it's like having an announcement flag added to each walk box. That corrects part of the issue. The other tedious part was the player having 'too much' free movement of Manny. Each keystroke should guide the player through a table of walk box choices. This informs the player 'what' they should be seeing in any given scene. This would cut down the unnecessary amount of repeated searches of the same object thinking you got Manny to move or look at something else in the area. Tim even reacted like we did at times at having to hear the same thing over and over because of imprecise control movement. It was the right concept, but needed to refine the 'game' mechanic a bit. I see this clearly as a game developer ideology struggle over the ability to move freely to enjoy the full player experience versus the 'hey this is supposed to be a GAME we're making here, right?'.

I swear, if anyone ever got around to making this game into an animated series or a movie, just how would they interpret this "Manny" character who seems to 'take' a lot of the things he see's lying around? I would absolutely love to see that utilize as a bad habit of Manny's kleptomania. I can just imagine someone like Eva walking up to Manny and be like "What do you have hiding in your suit?" whilst ripping off his jacket and shirt only to find his entire rib cage filled to the top with stuff. Then a rubber ducky falls to the ground with Manny nervously responding with "Now wait, Eva, I can explain!" There's so much story and so much potential in this world to explore. I really do wish there was more Grim Fandango stories made. :/

With all that said, it's still in my personal top 5 favorite games of all time. Viva-la-Revolution!

The details in that game's storytelling were amazing. The feel was so right.

Here's for hope that DF makes more adventure games in the near future.

EDIT: as in - even more...

So funny to see Tim playing Grim! Had that same problem in the Land of the Living, trying to scare all three of them but struggling to get either the cop or the woman in the back. Even though it could be hard at times to get your focus right and it's obvious from this playthrough that the walking didn't always go that smooth around doors, I still very much like this literal setup. There was just so much beautiful environment and detail to admire, without any icons or arrows or whatever 'spoiling' the view.

For those of you considering giving this game another go (or maybe playing it for the first time), there's a mod to replace the tank controls with a point and click interface, and I've heard it works very well - you can grab the mod here from the residualvm forums.

There's also a (possibly dead?) project that was underway to convert the assets to higher resolution - the most recent work is from July 2012, but I believe they had implemented a high-res version of Manny for Year 1. You can see the details here.

For those of you considering giving this game another go (or maybe playing it for the first time), there's a mod to replace the tank controls with a point and click interface, and I've heard it works very well - you can grab the mod here from the residualvm forums.

There's also a (possibly dead?) project that was underway to convert the assets to higher resolution - the most recent work is from July 2012, but I believe they had implemented a high-res version of Manny for Year 1. You can see the details here.

We're not dead! Things have just slowed down! :)

I cringed watching Tim grab a post-it note after that elevator glitch :P

The Residual team has done awesome work of late - you should have seen how bad they were when I last touched the code in pre-alpha... and the elevator doors drove me mad (sampling those depthmaps arrgh *hides under his desk from the memories*)

I kept screaming in my head, "Put it in your mouth!!!" I realize I played it more recently than Tim did, but I also rarely forget a puzzle solution to one of these games after a couple of play throughs. As for the controls, I always ended up using a game controller, so I never had any major problems moving Manny in general. The elevator scripting always went wonky on me. I remember running into the elevator to use it a few times, then Manny would automatically walk out of the elevator and walk back in on his own.

We're not dead! Things have just slowed down! :)

Hey! Good to hear! Nice job on Grim Deluxe so far! A fully remastered version would me brilliant and I really admire your work. Love the sharper textures and stuff!

Just one thing though, to be honest I feel like you made the model for Manny a little too smooth, specifically his face is too round along the edges. He doesn't look like that in the pre-rendered cut scenes, where for example the top of his forehead is more angular. I know this is propably due to the limitations in polygon count back in the days, but it also adds to the paper-maché doll aesthetic of the models. Either way, if you are going for a remaster, I think you should be aiming for a more consistent look overall.

Hey! Good to hear! Nice job on Grim Deluxe so far! A fully remastered version would me brilliant and I really admire your work. Love the sharper textures and stuff!

Just one thing though, to be honest I feel like you made the model for Manny a little too smooth, specifically his face is too round along the edges. He doesn't look like that in the pre-rendered cut scenes, where for example the top of his forehead is more angular. I know this is propably due to the limitations in polygon count back in the days, but it also adds to the paper-maché doll aesthetic of the models. Either way, if you are going for a remaster, I think you should be aiming for a more consistent look overall.

We're doing our best! :)

It should be noted that there's two models used in the cutscenes: A high polygon one, and the one they use in the game. So even the original Grim isn't particularly consistent :(

Hey guys!!

Congrats on getting the license to remaster this masterpiece (a Remasterpiece Edition, if you will). It's by far the best news I've had in E3 for at least 2 or 3 years. This is one of my favorite adventure games of all times (I have a portrait of its cover on my room wall), and I have been wanting to play it for years, but it's next to impossible to get my hands on a copy where I live (Argentina), so this is really great news.

I was just watching this video and I saw how flustered Tim got with little bugs, and I remembered a bug I had when I played when I was a kid, which I think would make Tim rip his hair out. It's a really silly bug, and the player must make an effort to cause it. While in Rubacava, after locking the waiter in the kitchen closet, Manny gets his scythe back. However, you can put it back in the door, and leave. If you do this, Manny will leave Rubacava without it, making it impossible to complete puzzles to come. It happened to me, and luckily I had multiple saves so I could go back and retrive it without much grief, but it would've been devastating if I had to start the game over because of that.

Anyway, look out for that when on the remaster if you can, and congrats again! You guys definitely won E3 in my book :)

Hi 2PP,

nice little bit of misdirection there, heh heh. I honestly thought this was just a "Tim plays GF", maybe a bit celebratory. While now we know that it's been about this:

JNhE7zxJymE

all along. :-)

(More information here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/10/a-closer-look-at-grim-fandangos-surprise-revival/ )

Thank you DF and 2PP for bringing all the awesome community work back to all gamers worldwide. Please stay true to one of the best adventure games ever made.

Cheers,

balinor

Wow, you guys got the rights to remasterize Grim Fandango? that's great! Congratulations, Double Fine!

I found it great you guys are considering using some enhancements the community has done to the game, no need to reinvent the wheel after all!

The only thing I think is this should have more divulgation I only found because someone posted here, otherwise I doubt I would see these news.

On the Lets Play: hope we will see the other parts soon

I couldn't help but notice that the title says "Part 1." Does this mean we will be getting part 2? All the other Tim playing videos say part 1 as well. Let us know 2PP.

Could this be posted to Vimeo as well? Youtube 1080p videos use something called DASH which makes it impossible to download the 1080p versions.

[edit] wait, neither of these are actual sidequests, are they?

Sign in to follow this